Technical Boot mechanism...

Currently reading:
Technical Boot mechanism...

So even the fiat mechanics have found out about my repair! lol

When i had mine repaired (Shhhh its still working ;) ) they said they had no recalls or mods for the part on the system yet??

well, it could be dealer bluff, just trying to convince me that it'll be OK from now on so we'll see...... spent some time today contemplating what to do about the terrible customer service from Preston Motorparks - just looked at their parent company Cambria Autos and they've made a nice £3m profit so they can afford to give me back my £225 delivery charge! I think that selling a car with no remote key, no service stamps in book, no owners manual, no immobiliser code, and no transfer of warranty to me is pretty poor... hmm, how do you get those animated faces? i want to insert the angry face...

well, it could be dealer bluff, just trying to convince me that it'll be OK from now on so we'll see...... spent some time today contemplating what to do about the terrible customer service from Preston Motorparks - just looked at their parent company Cambria Autos and they've made a nice £3m profit so they can afford to give me back my £225 delivery charge! I think that selling a car with no remote key, no service stamps in book, no owners manual, no immobiliser code, and no transfer of warranty to me is pretty poor... hmm, how do you get those animated faces? i want to insert the angry face...

Immobiliser code is something that isn't even supplied new so don't expect that ;)

Immobiliser code is something that isn't even supplied new so don't expect that ;)

Hmm, but it says in the pre 2012 handbook (i'm still waiting for the 2012 version) that its V. Important, as you need it to reset everything should all the electrics fail, and also if you need to replace the key :confused:. I've now got the remote key and the service handbook :) and it says that there should be the 3rd year dealer warranty letter - 1st I've heard about that too so i'll have to chase it up....:bang: Sorry for going off subject!

Mine started doing the same. It won't unlock the boot unless you press the bottom button. It used to unlock all the doors.

Just called the dealer and it's going in Thursday.

Otherwise love the Car !! Great to drive.

Haven't been on the forum for a while and thought I'd check on this problem again. My lounge has now had the boot mechanism replaced 5 times! I have been told that the new mechanism has been revised by Fiat and it does seem to feel different when used, compared to the old ones.

This is not the only problem we have had with ours though, 2 weeks ago the car started to stink of diesel inside and was down on power and was getting crap MPG. The culprit was one of the injector seals was leaking. The seals were replaced and the offending injector also.

The garage has had the car since Wednesday of last week waiting for a part to come in as every time I was indicating left the headlights were coming on, then on the way to the garage it started doing it when turning either left or right :banghead:

Have had to use a bottom of the range panda courtesy car for a weekend trip to Edinburgh. Not happy.

Anyway we received a reminder letter to say it was due for its first service so I rang and asked if they could do the service at the same time, they said yes they'll do it while they have it and it will be free of charge because of the problems we've had with the car.

Picking it up tomorrow, so all should be sorted again, until next time!

I still like the car though, however it will be gotten rid of before the warranty is up, as it would have cost us a fortune had it not been covered under warranty.

My boot mech lock is still ok :tempt:!!

Must admit the catch does feel better than the other one that was fitted.
Hopefully my one has now got the modified lock.

Last edited:
Had exactly the same with my new Panda. The Dealer - Bishops Guildford (avoid at all costs) tried to tell me that this was normal and the fob was designed to operate that way.
What Bull...t !!

Currently trying to get new car out of Fiat as have had other problems too. A shame as I like the drive & design of the car, but build standard poor and my dealer - Bishops of Guildford - appalling!!!!:mad:

Had exactly the same with my new Panda. The Dealer - Bishops Guildford (avoid at all costs) tried to tell me that this was normal and the fob was designed to operate that way.
What Bull...t !!

Currently trying to get new car out of Fiat as have had other problems too. A shame as I like the drive & design of the car, but build standard poor and my dealer - Bishops of Guildford - appalling!!!!:mad:

Sorry to hear that. :(

Awful that your dealer has tried to fob you off. If they were giving customer service in the right manner you may well have had problems sorted quickly and conveniently. Dealers like this give the whole Fiat group a bad name.

What other problems have you had?

Does anyone know of a simple ilistration of the boot switch and how easy it is for DIY removal.:chin:

Just bumping this thread up to say that, the boot mechanism having failed a second time, I decided not to waste any more of my time getting it fixed and have been using it as is i.e. opening the boot with the dedicated remote button. Yesterday I discovered that it is working perfectly without my having done anything! I'm assuming it's either got jarred into life, or it's a temperature-related thing. Hold your breath. :worship:
Mike.

My boot mechanism was replaced in Nov 2012 but it developed the same fault as the original one. I spoke to the dealer yesterday and they told me that the part was modified in Dec 2013, so they're going to have another look at mine on 11th Feb. Hopefully the new part will work properly!

I read this post (#139) thinking: I'll tell my mate, whose wife's Panda 1.2 had the boot mechanism replaced last week, so he's aware that it should be a modified part.
(Unfortunately this visit to the dealer has given him ammunition to knock Fiat quality, because he would have preferred his wife to buy an Up! or Citigo).

Then I read the whole thread, and realised that when my boot stopped unlocking with the doors, a month or two ago, it wasn't because I'd unwittingly changed a setting. Looks like I'll be visiting a Fiat dealer this weekend.

Back