General Blue Smoke...!

Currently reading:
General Blue Smoke...!

basstester

HI, MY STILO IS BLOWING OUT BLUE/GREY SMOKE. WHEN I PUT MY FOOT DOWN, LOTS OF SMOKE COMES OUT, BUT WHEN IM DRIVING, THE SMOKES COMES OUT WHEN IM ABOUT TO ENTER A GEAR, OR WHEN THE ENGINE IS ON FULL REVS...NOW, I THINK ITS TOO MUCH OIL IN THE ENGINE, SO I DRAINED IT, AND REFILLED IT TO THE RIGHT MEASUREMENT. I DROVE IT AROUND 100 MILES, AND STILL THE SMOKE STILL COMES OUT...HELP ME...!

ANOTHER PROBLEM....WHEN I START THE ENGINE, THE "AIR BAG FAILURE" LIGHT/TEXT COMES ON, IT COMES ON TWICE...! THANKS FOR UR HELP....

:bang:

Last edited:
HI, MY STILO IS BLOWING OUT BLUE/GREY SMOKE. WHEN I PUT MY FOOT DOWN, LOTS OF SMOKE COMES OUT, BUT WHEN IM DRIVING, THE SMOKES COMES OUT WHEN IM ABOUT TO ENTER A GEAR, OR WHEN THE ENGINE IS ON FULL REVS...NOW, I THINK ITS TOO MUCH OIL IN THE ENGINE, SO I DRAINED IT, AND REFILLED IT TO THE RIGHT MEASUREMENT. I DROVE IT AROUND 100 MILES, AND STILL THE SMOKE STILL SOMES OUT...HELP ME...!

ANOTHER PROBLEM....WHEN I START THE ENGINE, THE "AIR BAG FAILURE" LIGHT/TEXT COMES ON, IT COMES ON TWICE...! THANKS FOR UR HELP....

Do a Search on the Airbag.... the blue smoke sounds like rings or valves... or oil seals are shot if you ran it too hard with too much oil in it... :(

i get dust coming out the exhaust when i rev a bit, usually only in second and only happens once, someone told me this is normal for a diesel?

i get dust coming out the exhaust when i rev a bit, usually only in second and only happens once, someone told me this is normal for a diesel?

Thats why a DPF is fitted on most later Diesels, (Diesel Particulate Filter)

elabortate .... ? so is it normal?

I say so... diesels are dirty in that way, its a solution that satisfies the Greenies... u ever looked in your mirror with headlights behind u and seen the crap that flies outa the zorst? :eek:

yeah thats the stuff im on about, was just making sure it was normal for it to do that, it only does it when you put your foot down.

Yep... still get a bit with a DPF but nowhere near as much.

HI, MY STILO IS BLOWING OUT BLUE/GREY SMOKE. WHEN I PUT MY FOOT DOWN, LOTS OF SMOKE COMES OUT, BUT WHEN IM DRIVING, THE SMOKES COMES OUT WHEN IM ABOUT TO ENTER A GEAR, OR WHEN THE ENGINE IS ON FULL REVS...NOW, I THINK ITS TOO MUCH OIL IN THE ENGINE, SO I DRAINED IT, AND REFILLED IT TO THE RIGHT MEASUREMENT. I DROVE IT AROUND 100 MILES, AND STILL THE SMOKE STILL COMES OUT...HELP ME...!

DON'T SHOUT

Could be piston rings of something like that. What Mileage has your car done?

Yep... still get a bit with a DPF but nowhere near as much.

dont they go through a stage of green, amber, red though where they clog up more?

and doesnt it cost more to get them renewed at the service etc, and it all has to go somewhere ;)

stilo isnt the smokiest diesel ive seen, leave that to the 01-07 plate mondea tdci's :yuck:

Do a Search on the Airbag.... the blue smoke sounds like rings or valves... or oil seals are shot if you ran it too hard with too much oil in it... :(
ok, what can i do....shall i keep driving or get it fix....the thing is, im gettin different answers from different people...some say, that with the oil, it shud clean up itself, others say, jus buy a new car because its expensive to change the pistons....HELP ME!!!!!

ok, what can i do....shall i keep driving or get it fix....the thing is, im gettin different answers from different people...some say, that with the oil, it shud clean up itself, others say, jus buy a new car because its expensive to change the pistons....HELP ME!!!!!
You haven't given us much to go on :(

What's the history to it (have you got full service history)?

What oil are you using now?

When was it last OK (all JTDs smoke a bit but certainly not all the time) ?

You haven't given us much to go on :(

What's the history to it (have you got full service history)?

What oil are you using now?

When was it last OK (all JTDs smoke a bit but certainly not all the time) ?

But he has a petrol Stilo. Read the Sig. Why are you all going on about JTD's smoking?

Could be the head gasket gone.

Any oil in the water/ water in the oil? Take out the spark plugs and see if they are oily, or if one looks different from the others. Is it using water?

Last edited:
Ok, Here Are The Specs -
1 - The Milage Is Over 100k...
2 - Its A Petrol
3 - The Smoking Gotten Worse When I Put Oil Into It
4 - Engine Oil = Carlube
....ok, The Spark Plugs Havent Been Checked Bcoz I Cant Get Them..:p....all The Spark Plugs Are The Same (if My Memory Is Good)...the Car Runs Fine, But Its Just The Smoke....help! I Wanna Start Modding Soon, 2moro Im Gettin Sum 19's Fitted..:)...please Help!

Last edited:
Ok, Here Are The Specs -
1 - The Milage Is Over 100k...
2 - Its A Petrol
3 - The Smoking Gotten Worse When I Put Oil Into It
4 - Engine Oil = Carlube
....ok, The Spark Plugs Havent Been Checked Bcoz I Cant Get Them..:p....all The Spark Plugs Are The Same (if My Memory Is Good)...the Car Runs Fine, But Its Just The Smoke....help! I Wanna Start Modding Soon, 2moro Im Gettin Sum 19's Fitted..:)...please Help!

valve oil seals possibly as already mentioned,

worn piston rings which can lead to crankcase pressure increase blowing oil up the breather pipe into the throttle body,

what grade of oil are you using??? 10-40, 5-30, 0-30,????

a sticking scraper ring can cause this but only time ive ever know that to happen is on engines which havent had oil changes for example of 20k miles

Last edited:
Carlube = 15w40..thats the oil i use, that was recommended to me...so, what can i do to fix the problem...O' my car has done over 100k, it was a quick buy, needed a car for UNI and Work..:(....HELP!

Last edited:
It's most likely serious so I'd forget about any mods unless you've got money to burn :rolleyes:

After a moderate long run, remove all 4 spark plugs (and remember which cylinder they came from)

Now check each one for oily deposits. If they all look the same then that's not too bad and would suggest you've got general engine wear or some other problem (take a photo if you can and let us have a look).

If only one plug is oily and the rest are a chocolate brown colour then that means you have a big problem with one cylinder and an expensive repair job :(

If you can't remove the spark plugs then take the car to a good local garage and ask them to do a pressure test (and also check spark plug condition as above)

Last edited:
Thanks....i will do....give me a week yeah....uni is killing me at the moment...ill get sum pics in..:).or, will it help if i put a video on...ill video the blue smoke and the engine....will that help?

Last edited:
Back