Technical Blue smoke & Stutter on Fireup 899 Cinq

Currently reading:
Technical Blue smoke & Stutter on Fireup 899 Cinq

slugworth1987

The Ratter
ok well just got the mrs to fire up my car as i noticed a very rich smell yesterday

so she just fired up my car for me gave it a tiny bit of a blip and blue puff :(

now what is this meaning piston rings? headgasket? broken?

the smoke does go very quickly once it picks up all 4 cylinders.

i should also mention when cold it for about 2-3 seconds it runs on 2-3 cylinders until oil gets to all the valves i have no idea why either but then it runs fine but i noticed that car is down on power of late also.

cheers guys

Sean

how does one check these? and are they expensive to fix?

ok so a quick google search shows its head off and evilness I HAVE NEVER REMOVED A HEAD! HELP :-(

found a headgasket but no stem oil seals any help in find parts?

Last edited:
Valve stem oil seals come in a head gasket set kit.

It is a head off job. What is happening is that when the engine is stopped oil in the head leaks down the valves into the combustion chambers and sits there until its next started.

Oil doesn't burn as well as petrol so it takes a while to get that/those cylinders firing properly and the oil then burns off, hence the blue smoke.

If you are taking the head off, change the tappets at the same time, have it skimmed, and cleaned up too.

Cheers

D

ah RC the god of all things fiat sounds like the best service the car would have all its life but i have £30 to do it with kit on ebay is £15.50+£5 and the bolts are £10 so she wont be getting skimmed or new tappets or anything fancy just cleaned down and put back together i should also note i have no valve spring tool

To my mind it sounds as though the engine is simply worn out (would need the above plus -- at least -- new rings). A dry and wet compression test would confirm.

Assuming that is the case, then another engine would be the most economical (and easiest, as a DIY proposition) alternative.

If not overheating, then I doubt it's the HG.

All in all, if the above is the case, you may as well run it until the engine dies, although it's hardly the preferred option.

was discussing this with my partner ive seen 899 engines for £100 i can hire a van and bring it home but fitting would be an issue as i dont have a crane lol! ill just run it till ti goes pop i think then engines only done 80K or so but i cant recall the actual mileage as ive not had a speedo for over 6 months lol

Nope, from underneath. It can be done without a crane, but is far easier with one.

Great :( once this cars mot runs out I think ill scrap her and buy a new bloody bike everything is easier faster more reliable lol if its not one thing with this car its the next for example defects atm are

Oil leaks
No rear washer
No areial reception
Wetish/damp floor on the passenger side
If the car is moving and in gear and acceleration is added to increase speed a horrible popping noise comes i presume blown mid section
Leaning
Rear bushes
Intimitant stutters Lamber sensor?
Water leak from rad pipe
Rear bumper & brackets
Front bumper
Door leaks.

But it was free so who can complain if a freebie will last a year?

Think this may have to added to the list of things mine needs. It does not overheat (if the gauge is working correctly) but I have a puff of smoke and a stutter.

I Have a Haynes manual, will instructions be in there? and is it a difficult thing to do? I don't want to kill my only means of getting to work.

Back