Technical Blue & Me Why Do I Need It Summary?

Currently reading:
Technical Blue & Me Why Do I Need It Summary?

So I was thinking of trying the repair service on Ebay for the Blue & Me module. Mines currently removed, and sat on my table.

But why do I need it? I do want the USB socket in the centre tunnel consol to work, but I have a new head unit to fit and it has USB connections which I am sure could be connected to the socket?

What's the point of the Blue & Me, isn't it outdated now?

New head unit (aftermarket quality branded unit ) would be vastly superior to anything else with every conceivable connection, if it comes with a rear usb extend it to the original socket but replace the socket if there's any doubt re connection/compatibility, you're wasting your money on the out dated car one, £120 for a Pioneer/Kenwood/Alpine even Sony £10 for the fascia ?

Commercially naive I know but it's a shame someone doesn't make an updated unit using the original shell as the integrated retro look of the original ICE is part of the 500 vibe inside for me. A lot of aftermarket units don't look that great IMHO....sort of max power circa 1995 ;)

But talking of the 90s, I still have CDs in my Panda, and cassettes in my Brava :eek:. Original audio units in both cases (and I have two spare Bravo/Brava ones under the desk here!). I find the lack of connectedness quite refreshing - and value the coherent interior aesthetic - but I sense I am probably an outlier :)

Commercially naive I know but it's a shame someone doesn't make an updated unit using the original shell as the integrated retro look of the original ICE is part of the 500 vibe inside for me. A lot of aftermarket units don't look that great IMHO....sort of max power circa 1995 ;)

But talking of the 90s, I still have CDs in my Panda, and cassettes in my Brava :eek:. Original audio units in both cases (and I have two spare Bravo/Brava ones under the desk here!). I find the lack of connectedness quite refreshing - and value the coherent interior aesthetic - but I sense I am probably an outlier :)
nope i agree! (y) both about form and function! :rolleyes:however as i only ever put the radio on about twice a year( prefer to concentrate on actually driving the dam thing without distraction!!):eek: I am not the most qualified to comment!😬

nope i agree! (y) both about form and function! :rolleyes:however as i only ever put the radio on about twice a year( prefer to concentrate on actually driving the dam thing without distraction!!):eek: I am not the most qualified to comment!😬
I'd concur with this generally too. I never use the radio while driving but that's because I hate inane natter and no stations cater to my musical preferences. On the other hand the USB plug contains around 70 albums collected over a lifetime and it's always playing something (usually very loud...!) unless I've opted to be entertained by the Twinair growl.

Last edited:
So what do I do? fix it or not?
In your situation I would.

I've been perfectly content with Blue&Me as it stands but recently my Bluetooth has dropped out at random intervals. It's not a big deal, it comes back up within a minute or so but sometimes it stops the music playback, mostly it's just a brief message on the Tomtom. It probably affects the phone too but I'm rarely on a call and it hasn't happened during one so I wouldn't know. It doesn't happen often but such things only get worse over time.

I'm contemplating whether to get the module fixed - if I lived in the UK I probably would but such services are thin on the ground in Oz. I know I'm going to have to bite the bullet and replace the head unit with something more modern sooner or later so that's the way I'm leaning. A double-din touch-screen Pioneer or Sony is my preference. I know they'll spoil the retro ambience and I know it'll be a big job. I can't do it myself unfortunately.

At the moment the problem is finding the double-din installation kit in ivory, such as this one;
but they don't seem ship outside the UK.

This is what I did! And I even did some jiggery pokery so the usb port works with the head unit! I didn’t settle for anything less than factory looking! Blue & me is just outdated now!

Attachments

• IMG_4406.jpeg
    IMG_4406.jpeg
    883.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_2759.jpeg
    IMG_2759.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1625.jpeg
    IMG_1625.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 49
Well I also have a new head unit to fit already purchased and just waiting for some time to do it, which is why I am questioning the fix.
You have practically answered your question? The Blue&Me module will not work with any aftermarket head unit (happy to be corrected here). You haven't mentioned the functionality in your new head unit, but as pretty much every aftermarket head unit comes with built in Bluetooth, and most have USB inputs, there's only one reason to get your B&M module fixed - because at some point you want to revert back to the original factory system.

Back