Blower issue

Currently reading:
Blower issue

Karina

I have a 2009 Grande Punto with manual aircon. The blower works on speeds 1,2 and 3. What is the likely cause for speed 4 not working. No sound, nothing from the vents. As I have to replace the bulbs that illuminate the heater panel, I figured it makes sense to sort the blower issue at the same time. Not bad for a blonde!!

The heater panel does not light up. Are the bulbs the capless panel ones? If so how many are there? I have to go to the motor factors and buy the head unit removal tool and rather than make two trips, just make the one and buy the bulbs at the same time.

Thanks in advance peeps.

Hi Karina :)

I tried changing the bulbs on a 2007..
I failed.. they appeared to be better accessed from the bottom..via the footwell

I slid the cd player out.. but saw nothing of use

There are several GUIDES on here.. but its not a 5 minute job

Im guessing its an 'all glass' press in style bulb.. the panda section has a good GUIDE :cool:

The Fan speeds..

Thats unusual..

Normally the Fan..and other car circuits.. get fed 12 volts from the battery

There is a Resistor pack that drops the fans supply

#1 : 3 volts
#2 : 6 volts
#3 : 9 volts

#4 is the full system voltage.. and a Resistor failure NORMALLY give #4 effect only.. so flat out

My suspicion is dodgy wiring..it can all get HOT

BUT always worth checking the switch too

Ideally use a basic volt meter on fan terminals.. you should see the 3,6,9 volts as above.. the big question.. do you see 12 volts

Extra info:

This being a Grande, it is sister to the Corsa. The Corsa heater motor was behind the glovebox, and easy to replace, which was good, because they gave a lot of trouble when new.
Usual problem was the motor bearings seized. The resultant high current demand would fry the resistor, and melt the connector at the motor.
As Varesecrazy says, unusual for speed 4 to give up, but my guess is the wiring or connector are fried. Glovebox out should allow viewing.
Motors used to be plentiful on eBay, haven't looked recently. Hopefully new connectors are available too.

Back