Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no dont know how to

• would if i got a paid day off

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • yes i do due to getting a day paid off

• Total voters
So im thinking about giving blood i have no reason not to.

my bosses old employer used to give him they day off, tempted to negotiate this

just curious how many of you who do, and your main reason

I want to gonna start doing this year, i have not had blood drawn since i was born tho
minor things does it mate you feel slightly hung over?
thats about it

Last edited:
you forgot one....

No - for undisclosed reasons, which is me.

edit: I have lost quite a bit of blood before and thats just kinda a bit floaty. I know a few people that do give blood and some seem to be tired and drowsy after and others go straight out canoe'ing and the like. So i guess it differs from person to person how much it effects you (but i doubt doing sport straight away is advised anywhere haha).

Last edited:
I used to give blood but keep getting persuaded to take part in studies at work which require blood samples and therefore can't do both. As it's medical research and my blood type isn't particularly common anyway I don't feel too guilty. If I was type O I'd probably do fewer studies and give blood a couple of times a year.

Gave my 10th donation Tuesday just gone. Benefit being that the mobile blood van comes to my work 3 times a year, so I get paid to do it / have an hour out of work. However I was donating before I started working here, and still would after / if this perk stopped :)

So, to expand for those that do donate, how many donations have you done out of interest?

I only started last year to give blood. I did the initial one for another reason too as I needed to know blood type and noone could tell me!

I'm on my third and awaiting my 4th visit!

i decided that my thing for the people of the UK is donate blood

Why? - You never know who needs it
You might not know your a rare / super rare blood type that could give an operation the Go ahead - or not

Im a rare blood group - within only 7% of the population (when i first started)

I started with my dad, but however i have a feeling that will no longer continue due to circumstances, but i will continue

Im on a blue card now which is 5 - 10 iirc, cant be far off my bronze award

Anyway my advice
Try to go with somebody - dont go on your own
The waiting can be a pain - but be patient
Dont do drop in - i got super negative feedback from the staff because all the letters say drop in, but i get shuned for walking in!
Water - Water - Water, No tea no coffee, simple dilute drinks are best advised
Chocolate!! YUM! eat as many biscuits and kitkats/jacobs bars etc, more sugar helps keep you peppy while your body regens :)

Some people feel sluggish and sleep it off
Me - i dont feel the side effects
Im also a quick bleeder, usually in the chair for 2mins max usually, others take like 5, every person differs

Ziggy

Last edited:
I've only given blood twice. Bit awkward with my job. That and since being abke to give again, I've either had a stonking cold or the Blackpool/Fleetwood sessions have been when I'm at home and vice versa.

I will get around to my 3rd before I'm back at sea lol

Just tell them you didn't book because you weren't sure if you'd make it.

Surly better for blood bank to go into someone rather than research then :confused:

Not quite sure if that's a comment about having one of the rarer blood groups or medical research in general so I'll address both possibilities

If your comment is that as someone with a blood group which only 3% of the population has I should definitely be donating then I disagree. My blood can only be used for someone of type AB+ or AB- which is only 4% of the population. As blood has a finite shelf life then it's most likely to end up being disposed of. If I was type O- then I'd definitely give blood rather than take part in research as that can be used on everyone and is what is desperately needed.

If it's the research element then quite simply I believe prevention of disease in the first place is better than having to cure it. The last study I took part in was looking at the prevention of heart disease which is still one of the biggest killers in the UK :( For the record I don't get paid for this and do it because I know how difficult it is to recruit volunteers and believe in the work itself :)

That sounds preachy :eek: Sorry, it wasn't meant to be

I used to give blood when I was younger. It is no problem at all. Just don't do what i did once, i.e give blood and then run up five long flights of stairs immediately afterwards! I felt a bit giddy but it was my own fault. Right as rain not long afterwards.
I hear Lance Armstrong swears by it, but then he seems to want his own back again afterwards for some reason.

I give blood, do it in the evening after work. Only done it 3 times but don't feel any different once I've done it. Guess it effects people differently though.

Back