Blocked Brake Flexi Hose

Currently reading:
Blocked Brake Flexi Hose

Was helping a good friend of mine (into classic Rover's) and he is in the process of bringing a Rover 827 back on the road.

Long story short the rear right would not brake fluid bleed. I guided him through breaking open fluid feeds into/out off the ABS unit, through the rear pressure regulators (2) etc.

Final result a blocked rear flexi pipe. My first experience of such an issue in 48 years of DIY vehicle maintenance.

The hose lining collapses and becomes a non-return valve. I fitted all round braided hoses to the 100HP Panda and much prefer the direct pedal feel. The down side is I can't clamp the hose while doing brake repairs so I cap the end with a long nut and a bolt in one end.

The hose lining collapses and becomes a non-return valve. I fitted all round braided hoses to the 100HP Panda and much prefer the direct pedal feel. The down side is I can't clamp the hose while doing brake repairs so I cap the end with a long nut and a bolt in one end.

thanks for the awesome information.

No worries. On the back axle you can delete one (sometimes two) flexi hoses and the steel pipe. One braided hose can run between chassis pipe and brake. Cost is about £30 per side. Get them made with four barrel grommets and you'll have plenty of points for P clips or zip ties. On some cars, the brake caliper hose is there to allow brake pad servicing without touching hydraulics. Make sure you take that into account with the braided hose.

If you retain "rubber" hoses at the front, the brake will feel normal.

Back