Technical Bleeding clutch!!!

Currently reading:
Technical Bleeding clutch!!!

It really is a bleeding clutch.

I replaced my flexi hose last night. It really was past its best. I noticed the slave cylinder not looking its best inside as well so I have a new one on order.

Trouble is at present I can't pressure up the system unless I use a pump.

Is there a knack to bleeding it through?? I can manage to get some movement at the clutch but not enough. I am still on the old slave. I was hoping to get it home without a tow.

I'm having fun with this as well. Apparently its useful if you can raise the rear end up to get the slave higher than the reservoir. Don't do what I did after I borrowed a 'Easi'bled' kit.
Did not have the instructions and hooked up the fluid bottle to the spare tyre to pressurise he system. Apparently max psi should be 18 - I had 30 - pop goes the fluid reservoir cap. I think I actually swallowed some and have left it for another day in disgust.

Getting the slave higher than the reservoir won't help. All you need is a lot of patience and time. Open the bleeding nipple, fill the reservoir and leave it overnight. Then pump, close the nipple, release, and repeat until the fluid comes out clear and with no bubbles. You can do it alone (I did it) because the pedal holds the bottom position.

ImageUploadedByFIAT Forum1385902582.244315.jpg

This is a coincidence! Mine gave up on Friday night!

I ended up driving it 2 miles in second gear... I saw a damp patch under the car a week ago and assumed it was a water leak, I even saw the dampness on top of the bell housing weeks ago and didn't realise... Doh

New slave and pipe in the post for me too... I tried to bleed the old one to driveit hinge and got nothing. I guess as air was getting in at the leak.

I've also ordered a new master cylinder too. The clutch peddle use to lock up requiring a damn good shove.

And all this because I noticed the flexi pipe was about to haemorrhage itself.

Be interesting to compare result guys as we're all in the same boat! Anyone in the Midlands for a group-bleed?!!! :)

I plan on getting the car to the workshop next weekend. The parts arrived today but I've for things to do this weekend. I'll keep you posted.

Mines fixed. Took about 2 hrs over the weekend. Hose, slave, return spring and copper washers. Managed to bleed it on my own as the pedal sticks down when the nipple is open.

I don't hate hydraulic clutches anymore! Only had to fix cables on my other fiats.

Fitted wing nuts under the expansion tank for quick release in future...

I've got a tow booked for Friday and then I'll have a go at doing the while thing. I hope I can get it working. My fathers coming down in the 500 pop and he wanted to take Fiat photos.

Got mine working tonight at last. Clutch master cylinders are ruddy awful to do. Good that I did it though because I discovered a bolt missing on the peddle box. Now feels nice and light unlike before where it was notchy and stiff.

I'm using DOT 4.

And now to sort out the other problems my little Fiat has.

Bleeding the clutch is much easier with a positive pressure system that forces the fluid through from the reservoir. This isn't recommended for the brake system due to the floating piston in the brake master but it works very well on the clutch provided the pressure isn't too high as it can flip any directional shaped seals over.

Dot 5.1 is useful in both brake and clutch but is somewhat wasted in the clutch system. Dot 4 is adequate. The only caveat is you must remember to change the fluid, unlike the brake system the clutch fluid doesn't get cooked regularly but it does suck up a lot of water still and is frequently overlooked until the clutch slave cylinder fails.

Steer clear of competition grade fluids, they aren't anything like as stable over prolonged periods - you can't even keep it on the shelf for long once the bottle is opened...

I have also had a terrible time getting the clutch to bleed. The system was empty after replacing both master cylinders and the clutch slave cylinder. After a lot of frustration I resorted to jacking up the front of the car and leaving the slave cylinder bleed nipple open. Two weeks later (yes two weeks) fluid appeared. today the system bled easily with no issues.

There was so much air in my system that I actually found pressure from the pedal was not enough - The Easi-Bleed pressure tool was definately needed to get the air bubbles moving.
I now have pressure in the system and a moving clutch. One thing - I took my old slave off before winter when it failed and have only just got around to sorting with the new one... I didn't make a note of where the clutch arm sat on the adjusting rod of the slave cylinder? I have had to wind it right on 4/5th's of the way towards the clutch end to enable me to engage gears (I need to bleed it more!) I know it depends on how worn your clutch is but mine is fairly new - probably only 1000 miles on it at most. Whereabouts should the arm sit on a normal healthy system?

Mine is towards the end of the threaded rod, sounds a lot like yours.
Not sure how old my clutch is though. Its not too heavy or anything...

Lifting the back of the car to get the master cylinder horizontal or preferably up at the back makes the job quick and easy because it allows the air bubble in the master cylinder to pass through the lines. Otherwise it is hit and miss.

Back