Black Friday madness!!!!

Currently reading:
Black Friday madness!!!!

I always associated 'Black ....(insert day of week here)...' as being a day something catastrophic happens in the financial industy.

Black Thursday and Black Tuesday of the wall street crash in 1929
Black Wednesday the crash in the value of uk pound in 1992
Black Monday another big stockmarket crash of 1987
There was also a Stock market crash in 1989 on Friday the 13th of October called Black Friday....

and traditionally the UKs Black Friday was the Last friday before christmas where everyone goes out and gets absolutely smashed at the office christmas party (I know i was there in the 90s - 2000s)

I think the whole Black friday Shopping frenzy came here with many of the US retailers now having big stakes in the UK market, such as Amazon Walmart and Apple and other retailers have now jumped on the bandwagon and it seems by all accounts this was the first year major Uk stores made a real effort on this front.

Looking arround the net at the origin of the name, it was a negative name (steming from stockmarket crashes) given by shoppers to the two days following thanks giving as the biggest/busiest shopping days of the year they also presented the most challanging for retails and often caused problems for shoppers and stores, "oh no you're not going out on black friday, are you?" this dates back to the 1960s

from what i've discovered the negative association of the name 'Black Friday' has need many attepts to either change it "Big Friday" or do away with it completely, but non have succeeded, so it seems the story reguarding ledgers and black and red ink orginated in the 1980s as a way of switching the conotations away from the financial negtivity to 'black' being a positive for retailers, basically to change the meaning. before the 80s there has been no mention of this story.

a lot of this was researched online but most of it is confirmed by multiple websites time and time again.

Last edited:
I always associated 'Black ....(insert day of week here)...' as being a day something catastrophic happens in the financial industy.

Black Thursday and Black Tuesday of the wall street crash in 1929
Black Wednesday the crash in the value of uk pound in 1992
Black Monday another big stockmarket crash of 1987
There was also a Stock market crash in 1989 on Friday the 13th of October called Black Friday....

and traditionally the UKs Black Friday was the Last friday before christmas where everyone goes out and gets absolutely smashed at the office christmas party (I know i was there in the 90s - 2000s)

I think the whole Black friday Shopping frenzy came here with many of the US retailers now having big stakes in the UK market, such as Amazon Walmart and Apple and other retailers have now jumped on the bandwagon and it seems by all accounts this was the first year major Uk stores made a real effort on this front.

Looking arround the net at the origin of the name, it was a negative name (steming from stockmarket crashes) given by shoppers to the two days following thanks giving as the biggest/busiest shopping days of the year they also presented the most challanging for retails and often caused problems for shoppers and stores, "oh no you're not going out on black friday, are you?" this dates back to the 1960s

from what i've discovered the negative association of the name 'Black Friday' has need many attepts to either change it "Big Friday" or do away with it completely, but non have succeeded, so it seems the story reguarding ledgers and black and red ink orginated in the 1980s as a way of switching the conotations away from the financial negtivity to 'black' being a positive for retailers, basically to change the meaning. before the 80s there has been no mention of this story.

a lot of this was researched online but most of it is confirmed by multiple websites time and time again.
You are probably right regarding the black/red profitability part.
Many of the old school XMas rush/ Jan sales type retailers won't actually move in to the black until after Christmas anyway, and that has long been the case.
Also for me, "Black something day" means a minor catastrophe. It must be an age thing!

Back