Bit of a Wifi Question

Currently reading:
Bit of a Wifi Question

Ok so put the problem onto paper:

fiona wifif grey.jpg

I have no issues installing an internal pci card, and i know that will be the cheapest way, just as i'm only used to using wifi on laptops which seem to connect instantly, or my mates computer with a pci which seems to take about 10 mins to connect. I want my sis to be able to turn on her comp and for her to have almost instant access to the web (a few min is ok).

Also the question of id a 802.11g device is connected to an 802.11n network if the whole thing will always run at the slower speed, and if so will this effect the range of the Airport Extreme.

I'm looking into getting her a skype phone which would work without the computer being on, she wont have access to the airport express to plug it into that, so would either need to go through a router or be wireless.

So can you guys give me some suggestions and links to products too, i usually use ebuyer, scan, yoyotech and the usual others.

PCI wireless card works exactly the same manner as built in laptop wireless. It will connect straight away providing of course you've setup the software correctly, i.e. security keys, IP addresses etc.

Personally at home I've got two devices running on g and one on b. The system using b does not interfere with the others on g, so in answer to your question nope g will not affect/ slow down your apple laptop on n.

I'd really suggest hard wiring the Skype into the main router. If thats really not possible, then prehaps get a wireless access point, and have both the desktop and phone hard wired into that. Then at least the phone won't require the desktop to be on.

I'd really suggest hard wiring the Skype into the main router. If thats really not possible, then prehaps get a wireless access point, and have both the desktop and phone hard wired into that. Then at least the phone won't require the desktop to be on.

Yea not really possible, so a router may be the only option, or a phone that works on the wifi network.

Can i use a modem/router as just a router/access point?
I think it is impossible to use an ADSL modem/router on a cable network - what do you have?

One thing you need to do, and that is turn off the DHCP in the 2nd router, nothing worse than having a double NAT situation, plus messes up port-forwarding big time.

Also make sure both routers are on the same SUBNET 192.168.1.xxx etc - try making the main router 192.168.1.1 and the 2nd one 192.168.1.254, and ensure DHCP is setup on the first one so that it doesn't give numbers as high as that [i.e. up to 254].

I've no idea, its in my sisters flat. Think its through the phone line. If it was cable though could i use and ASDL modem/router just as a router/access point as the modem part of it wouldnt be in use?
No, I don't think so - sure it has something to do with the different protocols involved, but no doubt I will be proved wrong in a bit...

Before I actually got a dedicated access point, my setup was cable > cable router and I used an ADSL router as my wireless access point. So yes it does work!

Setup wise, see Stu's post :)

Gotcha Si - I have got myself confused with ADSL modems/routers being used DIRECTLY with cable modems, whereas in this case the ADSL router is purely acting as a WAP :)

Before I actually got a dedicated access point, my setup was cable > cable router and I used an ADSL router as my wireless access point. So yes it does work!

Setup wise, see Stu's post :)

Gotcha Si - I have got myself confused with ADSL modems/routers being used DIRECTLY with cable modems, whereas in this case the ADSL router is purely acting as a WAP :)

Excellent! As were never ever likely to have cable at home, and i currently dont have a Wifi setup at home i'd prefer an adsl modem/router.

So can anyone recommend one?

Excellent! As were never ever likely to have cable at home, and i currently dont have a Wifi setup at home i'd prefer an adsl modem/router.

So can anyone recommend one?
I am confused, why do you need one - all you need is a wireless access point, and connect the PC to it; I thought the main hub you need is as above, the Apple Airport Extreme base station...

Because a wireless access point seems to cost just as much and have less usefulness in the future, with a router i could connect an non wifi skype phone to the router for it to work without the pc being on.

I've only manage to find 1 wireless access point a Belkin on on ebuyer, cost about £70, although was 802.11n.

Personal preferences would be D-Link and Netgear.

As for exact models, need to have a look about.

Ok so decided that the WiFi skype phone was getting naff reviews anyway and that sis got better quality calls through her comp than using an external phone and calls she would be making would be pre arranged, so no need for the router anymore!

So i got:
https://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Per.../MSI+PC60G-F+wireless+super+G?productId=27285

Installed and set up easily, delivered in 2 days for £16 inc vat, great speed and connection. Not a movable type Ariel as shown, pics changed since last week.

Thanks for your help! (y)

Back