General Birdstrike!

Currently reading:
General Birdstrike!

Just my luck! (- or probably revenge for the 2 rabbits, 1 hedgehog and 1 hare the stilo has killed!)

Driving home from work i go down an unlit country road, and on thursday night I was the only car on there, doing about 60ish when all of a sudden there is a big bang & crack noise, and a white flash across the top right of the drivers screen.

I look at the screen, see no damage- that is until i got into street lights and saw a chip/hole/star crack the size of a £2 coin, and a 16 inch split in the screen. see pics.

Not happy bunny as had to pay for it to be replaced, but obviously not the stilos fault, however I am please with how the screen coped.

I think it was an owl that got hit, so obviously that was moving at a fair rate of knots, and I was doing 60ish when I hit it and the below is all the damage there was, bar a couple of feathers on the roof/top corner of screen.

I had seen posts on here slagging off the stilo windscreens strength, but I think that it did ok!

had it replaced now and lost my fiatforum.com sticker :( and had to claim on insurance so it only cost me £60, and the nice people at autoglass did it yesterday afternoon!

Attachments

• Birdstrike.jpg
    Birdstrike.jpg
    555.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Birdstrike1.jpg
    Birdstrike1.jpg
    289.9 KB · Views: 24
I bet that made you jump :eek:
Small stone make me jump out of my skin, when I hear the BANG I am like "Ohh crap not another new screen...!"

My SEAT Leon failed an MOT once because the horn was really quiet!

Turned out there was a bird with its feet stuck in it! It was all dried up LOL could have been there for months :)

P.S - I hope your new screen has been well fitted, you hear horror stories of leaking screens and high wind noise from bad fitting.

My SEAT Leon failed an MOT once because the horn was really quiet!

Turned out there was a bird with its feet stuck in it! It was all dried up LOL could have been there for months :)

P.S - I hope your new screen has been well fitted, you hear horror stories of leaking screens and high wind noise from bad fitting.

no leaks so far, and it chucked it down last night and before. The old screen leaked where the bird had made a hole though! Only a couple of drips

I collected a pigeon on the windscreen a couple of weeks back..... he just didn't get airborne quite quickly enough.....

Left a small scratch on the bonnet :( and lots of yuck on the windscreen (no damage) before bouncing over the top of the car and into the radiator of the Range Rover I had just overtaken :D

Range Rover stopped 2 miles further on with steam coming out of the bonnet :eek: I turned back and gave him a lift as it was the charitable thing to do. Mind you, he wasn't a happy fella.
As I was in uniform he didn't say anything about it coming off my car into his :devil:

defintely a good idea getting the screen replaced. When I bought mine, the dealer repaired a chip in the screen and as soon as the weather changed, it turned into a crack which migrated top to bottom, eeek, :cool:

Si :slayer:

defintely a good idea getting the screen replaced. When I bought mine, the dealer repaired a chip in the screen and as soon as the weather changed, it turned into a crack which migrated top to bottom, eeek, :cool:

They obviously didn't fix it very well then or it was too big to be fixed and should have replaced the screen.
I had a small chip fixed by autoglass through my insurance last year and it has been fine ever since through frosts and hot temps.

I remember the guy telling me that the important thing is getting all the air out of the hole, they use a machine attached the the screen with a suction cup, make it air tight, then insert the resin. When its set, flatten area of resin off with a stanley blade and jobs a gooden.
you can still see the chip but can't feel it anymore.

I did hit a pigeon last week at 60mph and it struck right where the chip was, i just closed my eyes and waited for the screen to implode but it didn't just bounce off, LOL

This is one thing that I have manged to not yet have any problems with. On my old piece of crap bannger =p a fox ruined all the front bumper -.- car only worth few 100 quid etc so didn't care too much. If my stilo gets hit well <.< i'll go on a killing spree as reveng or something :D

When I bought mine, the dealer repaired a chip in the screen and as soon as the weather changed, it turned into a crack which migrated top to bottom

Dealer would of got someone in sub-contract to fix it,last time I did this they broke the windscreen! (was actually a godsend cause new screen fixed the water leak:))

I drove around with a Robin jammed into my front grille on my old vectra for about a fortnight. Only discovered it when I cleaned it. Just grabbed it and ripped it out with a flurry of rotten feathers.......lovely.

Not had Kentucky fried chicken since ;)

Back