General best engine that would fit into an uno

Currently reading:
General best engine that would fit into an uno

hi, im 17 next year and wanting a standard 1.0 uno 2door.

but this is going to sound sad, but a uno has always been my dream car, but not a standard uno, something different, with a bigger engine and power full. my family are all into sleepers. fiesta's with 2.0 redtop engines in, cavalier with a cossy engine in, and ford pops and 100e's with 383 mopar engines in.

my intensions was geting a uno 1.0 between now and when im 17. and using it for a couple of years, then after a couple of years, rebuild it and put a different engine in, but would a 2.0 coupe engine go in 1. or the 20vt coupe engine in.is the engine bay big enough for 1.

as this ever been done, or as 1 ever been done with a total different engine.

ive done a reliant kitted with a fireblade engine in, which i enjoyed doing, but uno's are geting pretty rare, and a uno with a nice powerfull engine in would be something else.

i know i would have to change brakes etc, but what gear box would i use. just idea's wanted please ???

i thought about doing a 1.0 uno into a turbo conversion, but its hard to find uno turbo engines now and the running gear now, so think what it would be like in few years.

i was just thinking would a 2.0 coupe engine fit in an uno ???

See this thread https://www.fiatforum.com/uno/171352-2-0-16v-turbo-into-uno.html

Quite a range of opinions on that thread; you get one from Chas, something from me, handy pictures from oldskoolmk1unoturbo, and more pictures from Cerveza :)

My opinion is that the best engine that fits into an Uno is the 1108cc FIRE engine. It all depends on your definition of 'best', you see... ;) How about an engine that's smooth, reliable, unbreakable, economical, and worth next-to-nothing?

If it was just a matter of stuffing in a large and powerful engine to make the best Uno, I'm sure FIAT would have thought of it. Personally, I like my Mk1 turbo, good blend of reliability, performance, and economy, so I'm agreeing with oldskoolmk1unoturbo here as well.

-Alex

I have a superb Guy Croft UT racing engine that was recently dismantled and checked by him. It needs rebuilding and needs pistons, but everything else is there. PM me if you're interested.

Off the shelf, I`m with Alex, the 1108cc FIRE lumps my choice, preferably an 89-92 carbed one (no-cat).

If you intend to stick a bigger engine in at a later date, get an injected 92 on Uno FIRE (999 or 1108) so you`ve already got an electric fuel pump & basic injection system to put a 1368cc lump later on, like Lewey did with his Panda & is currently doing to his turbo.

If you like toys, get one of the last (K/L/M reg) 60S models as they have leccy windows & central locking.

They are all getting thin on the ground though!

Ummmm.....

100720091258.jpg

The main point is it`ll be his first car @ 17yo, I dont think his budget will stretch to £5000 a year insurance...

A nice 60S will teach him all about handling with less chance of over-doing it & putting himself into a hedge (although my brother still managed it on one of my old 45`s).

;)

Oh, and it`ll give him the easiest way of upgrading to a 1.4 turbo Abarth FIRE lump like Leweys doing, which will p**s all over a 1301 boat anchor... :p

Congratulations mate, you are the first person I've ever heard off, slating the legendary Mk1 Uno Turbo Engine. You have either never owned or driven a decent Mk1 UT? To Come away with a comment like that!!! Scandalous... :)

Charlie.

Nice post Charlie..

I have owned a 1299er for nearly 5 years now and have managed to drive it about 10 foot across my old garage and can report that it’s the best Uno I’ve ever driven - and I've had a few in my time :D

Brakes were a bit iffy

but that's usually the case when all 4 calipers are in a box somewhere :shrug:

Can’t wait to get on with the restro but it’s on hold while I sort the new house

Again I refer to "smooth, reliable, unbreakable, economical, and worth next-to-nothing" :rolleyes:

"there weak and underpowered" - remember, they are only 1108cc... 60bhp from 1108cc isn't bad.

My Mk1 Uno Turbo with the "boat-anchor" (relatively heavy engine) is pretty good in all respects, but every engine has its advantages and disadvantages, you can't write off the FIRE engines without considering the merits, e.g. more nimble handling and (in England) cheap insurance.

-Alex

I agree with the guys above with the mk1 uno turbo engine,there really is something about this engine that makes a fiat uno feel special.
Its a strong, responsive, revvy little motor and if looked after is mecanically reliable too.

Its the electronics that mostly let the reliabillty of this engine down but if you know what to look for when you do have a problem its normally a easy fix, as the electronics are pretty simply really.

But in the mk1s favor where the electronics and ignition and fuel ecus are pretty basic i used to find that the car would rarely have a bad day.

Where as with a more moden car when one of its multiple sensors is not quite right and with its complex ecus it will sometime change the way the car runs and you have days where you can feel that the car is not quite 100%.

With my old mk1 i never really found i had this problem and when running it would always feel that it was running at 100% and always felt consistent,and if i ever did have a problem with a sencor or something it would more than likely stop running altogether lol.

Not sure if thats a good thing or not for some but with more moden and complex ecu setups it can be a right headache to find the problem when you have one, and sometimes you have to end up getting the car plugged into a dianostics machine to find the problem,which in some cases you cant do yourself unless you have the money for one of these machines and know what you are looking for.

On the mk1 you can normally track down the problem yourself with the help of the haynes manuel as it lists everything you really need to know about the electronics with sensor resistances etc.
Info that you will be hard pressed to find for a more moden setup as its all done via dianostics.

Congratulations mate, you are the first person I've ever heard off, slating the legendary Mk1 Uno Turbo Engine. You have either never owned or driven a decent Mk1 UT? To Come away with a comment like that!!! Scandalous... :)

Charlie.

I`m not slating it, what I`m saying is the FIRE lump is a generation or 2 ahead of the Uno Turbo lump, and is still in use now, what does that tell you?

On top of that, what Leweys doing, & has done in his Panda, is the future of Uno Panda & Cinq modification, its a logical progression that will happen more & more.

The Uno Turbo is a legend & rightly so, in its time it was very special, but we now have better technology to play with, in the next 5-10 years there will be loads of NA & turbo 1368 FIRE lumps to bung in our babies with at least double the power without the weight penalties of the traditional Uno turbo engines, if you know about performance you`ll know less weight = more fun.

The fact you can equal the original turbo`s figures from a normally aspirated FIRE engine relatively easily is worth mentioning as well.

The reason I love my Uno`s & Panda is because they are light & agile & therfore higly chuck-able, I wouldnt want any other engine in my ones (except maybe an Alfa V6 in the back!) & thats why I`m going to stick with the FIRE lump & recomend it to anyone that asks.

All this is irrelivant anyway, the OP isnt going to be able to have a turbo...

For the record, this = :p means I`m on a bit of a wind up, so no need to get so scandalised.. also remember someone was slating my beloved FIRE engined Uno`s, & I`m not gonna take that lying down...

;)

Last edited:
I've had experience of FIRE engine, my missus has a seicento with a 1.2 punto 75 engine in it, its crap! slow, pops head gaskets leaks oil, its the most unreliable sack of **** i have ever come across i personally hate them,

so you can stuff a new FIRE 1.4 16v into a uno? no thanks!

there is no better engine IMO than the 1.3 turbo for a uno, I've owned my mk1 uno turbo for over 7 Years now a73uk have you even driven a UT?

so what if you can make 105 bhp with a N/A 1.4 16v? big deal in 1988 so could a swift gti with a 1.3 16v?

stick to your pandas and cinqs mate

few pics of my uno and its engine

Attachments

• DSCF0803.JPG
    DSCF0803.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
  • DSCF0815.JPG
    DSCF0815.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 167
  • DSCF0801.JPG
    DSCF0801.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 285
  • DSCF0806.JPG
    DSCF0806.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I've had experience of FIRE engine, my missus has a seicento with a 1.2 punto 75 engine in it, its crap! slow, pops head gaskets leaks oil, its the most unreliable sack of **** i have ever come across i personally hate them,

so you can stuff a new FIRE 1.4 16v into a uno? no thanks!

there is no better engine IMO than the 1.3 turbo for a uno, I've owned my mk1 uno turbo for over 7 Years now a73uk have you even driven a UT?

so what if you can make 105 bhp with a N/A 1.4 16v? big deal in 1988 so could a swift gti with a 1.3 16v?

stick to your pandas and cinqs mate

few pics of my uno and its engine

Ok, your right, I`m wrong, I know nothing about cars or engines, sorry for having an opinion, wont happen again sir....

Original 16yo poster, theres your answer, you need to get an Uno Turbo, I`m sure oldskool will help you get insured.

I better go look for this Cinq that I didnt know I had...

Back