Technical Belt change - going rate?

Currently reading:
Technical Belt change - going rate?

In my quest to find a good Prestigio (1.9 or a 2.4), its becoming apparent that those that have come up for sale have either no evidence of the belts being changed or those that claim it to have been done have little to support whether it was just the cambelt or the full set - cambelt / tensioner / idler / aux / tensioners / waterpump - the book has "cambelt changed" written in by a service stamp.

Unfortunately, the sellers don't seem to be prepared to flex their prices to at least make a contribution towards it being done - so budget wise my interest ends there with them. :(

Local FIAT dealers are quoting approx. £650 for the lot to be changed, but the chaps that look after my Coupe and 166 charge a shade under £470 incl VAT for the lot.

I plan to use them (Power Italia, Laindon) if the car I eventually purchase needs the job doing, but just wondered if the latter was a good price/going rate?

I am based in Essex, so comparable prices for this area/south east would be good to know.

Thanks in advance

Bob

not sure of the room in the 2.4 but the 1.9 has so much room its as easier than doing the belt in a 1.2 punto, do it your self tools are only £50 iirc, i think it cost me about 200 quid for all the bits, both belts all the idlers and tensioner's, water pump and new coolant

cost me £300 in huddersfield to have a 1.9 16v belt, pullies, water pump, anti freeze and an oil change (labour only on oil change as i supplied parts and oil)

For my 2.4 estimate 3.5 hours, outside the house, if it ever stops raining.
Noted Alfa expert fortunately local, he would replace auxiliary, water pump, and all tensioners.

This is where the 1.2 engine wins hands down. Cheap to buy, simple to fit (just keep a spare in the boot) and change it when the old one snaps.

In my quest to find a good Prestigio (1.9 or a 2.4), its becoming apparent that those that have come up for sale have either no evidence of the belts being changed or those that claim it to have been done have little to support whether it was just the cambelt or the full set - cambelt / tensioner / idler / aux / tensioners / waterpump - the book has "cambelt changed" written in by a service stamp.

Unfortunately, the sellers don't seem to be prepared to flex their prices to at least make a contribution towards it being done - so budget wise my interest ends there with them. :(

Local FIAT dealers are quoting approx. £650 for the lot to be changed, but the chaps that look after my Coupe and 166 charge a shade under £470 incl VAT for the lot.

I plan to use them (Power Italia, Laindon) if the car I eventually purchase needs the job doing, but just wondered if the latter was a good price/going rate?

I am based in Essex, so comparable prices for this area/south east would be good to know.

Thanks in advance

Bob

As a guide from expirence from a Fiat Indie, a 1.9 will cost around £250 including the water pump and tensioners. £75 -100 more for a 2.4 as more work is required for access
A 2.4 is the same engine as in a Alfa 156 and 159, OSF wheel removed so you can access the sneaky door to access the cam belt cover and access aux belt.

Suprised you have not contacted Jame Porter of www.alfaworkshop.co.uk as they are near you. They do plenty of 2.4 Mjets.

The 5 cylinder alfa 155hgt engine cost us £850 for an engine out, all belts/ pumps and tensioners, pumps, wheels changed.

IIRC most of that was labour, a lot of labour, and that was from a Fiat/Alfa guy.

I'd say either do the belt quickly and cheaply yourself, or take the £470 and make them to do absolutely everything whilst their there.

Theres a good fiat/alfa guy on top of Epsom Downs

A 2.4 is the same engine as in a Alfa 156 and 159, OSF wheel removed so you can access the sneaky door to access the cam belt cover and access aux belt.

Suprised you have not contacted Jame Porter of www.alfaworkshop.co.uk as they are near you. They do plenty of 2.4 Mjets.

Have you looked at a 2.4 Croma? The bottom end of the engine block might be the same as the 156 & 159 but the chassis and suspension are very, very different. The Croma chassis leg is the problem - it's much deeper than the Alfas and unless you start dropping subframes then there's not enough movement on the engine to get the (cast iron & massive) cambelt lower casing off.

All you 2.4 owners out there - if you can get someone to do the belt, tensioners and water pump for £350, rip their arm off. I'd suggest you get them to show you the old parts though :D

Back