Technical Battery warning light and no power steering

Currently reading:
Technical Battery warning light and no power steering

Hi all,

I have been searching through the forum and read what I could find on the subject - but I just can't find any good leads on how to fix the issue. I recently bought a cheap 2009 Bravo 1.9 Mjet to have as an all round daily driver. It came with battery warning light and no power steering. Before purchase it got a new alternator and I have put in a new 77Ah battery. Last owner was told that the problem might be in the BCM.

I have done several checks but has not been able to solve the issue and I have not been able to determine if the problem is with the BCM or the power steering unit. These are the symptoms :
- No power steering
- Battery charge light constant
- Main earth chassis/engine replaced and cleaned
- Alternator puts out 14,4v on idle
- Error code B1020 Alternator D+ signal
- No red power steering warning light

I have measured voltage on D+ from alternator and it's 13,8v. Is this enough for the BCM to register alternator charging ? Should it be equal as the charge voltage 14.4 ?? The D+ wire is measured and complete from alternator and in to BCM connector. I have also measured 14,4v on power steering connector with engine running and 12.6v with engine off.

Last owner disconnected all connectors on BCM and found that the PS was then working but not much else. Is this to be understood as it's a BCM fault ? I am at a loss here and can't seem to get any further. We have no trained Fiat garages in my area so a garage fix will be a two hour drive so that will be the last option eventually.

Many thanks,
Arvid

Hi all,

I have been searching through the forum and read what I could find on the subject - but I just can't find any good leads on how to fix the issue. I recently bought a cheap 2009 Bravo 1.9 Mjet to have as an all round daily driver. It came with battery warning light and no power steering. Before purchase it got a new alternator and I have put in a new 77Ah battery. Last owner was told that the problem might be in the BCM.

I have done several checks but has not been able to solve the issue and I have not been able to determine if the problem is with the BCM or the power steering unit. These are the symptoms :
- No power steering
- Battery charge light constant
- Main earth chassis/engine replaced and cleaned
- Alternator puts out 14,4v on idle
- Error code B1020 Alternator D+ signal
- No red power steering warning light

I have measured voltage on D+ from alternator and it's 13,8v. Is this enough for the BCM to register alternator charging ? Should it be equal as the charge voltage 14.4 ?? The D+ wire is measured and complete from alternator and in to BCM connector. I have also measured 14,4v on power steering connector with engine running and 12.6v with engine off.

Last owner disconnected all connectors on BCM and found that the PS was then working but not much else. Is this to be understood as it's a BCM fault ? I am at a loss here and can't seem to get any further. We have no trained Fiat garages in my area so a garage fix will be a two hour drive so that will be the last option eventually.

Many thanks,
Arvid
I think it may be worth while to get a good diagnostic tool to read the error codes etc. Many on the Forum use Fiat Multiecuscan to great success and there is a section on this site where they can advise you. Most basic hand held diagnostic tools will be no good!!!
I used a Snap On Zeus diagnostic tool from a friends garage.
What I am thinking is that with the issues the previous owner had the BCM may need "proxi alignment", basically this means the BCM needs to be told what electronics are connected to it , this allows it to recognise them when talking to the ECU.
I had to fit a passenger seat sensor to my daughters car as the previous owner had tried to repair it and in doing had shorted the BCM, I fitted a seat sensor and a new BCM but then had to do the "proxi alignment" which fixed the problem, this was on a 2010 Punto Evo.

Thanks,sounds logic. We are infact using the Multiecuscan tool. We have been servicing the car in my friends garage for a good week and scanning through looking for faults.

Can the Multiecuscan perform a proxy alignment ? If so I will get right on it.

I can mention that there are a few other functions not working. Headlight- and windscreen washer / cabin blower motor only works on speed 4 / blinking clock. There is also no light in the heater panel. Might not be related at all but who knows.

According to other owner the battery light and power steering fault started some years ago. There are receipts going back to 2016 regarding new alternator and battery,then same again i 2018. Fault was very random and once in a while,then more often before it became constant. I think it's all related to the battery light and if I can get the BCM to understand that the alternator is indeed charging all will be good.

Also wondering on the alternator D+ voltage. D+ which BCM relies on is measuring 13,8v and alternator puts out 14,4v. If they are supposed to be equal I might have one more problem.

Also wondering on the alternator D+ voltage. D+ which BCM relies on is measuring 13,8v and alternator puts out 14,4v. If they are supposed to be equal I might have one more problem.
Re the multiscan others here on Forum are more familiar with it , I use Linux and as multiscan is Microsoft based no good to me.
I believe certain functions need the full version and the correct leads, but others can advise on that, or you can check on Gendan site for multiecuscan details.
The "proxi alignment" function is the direction I would follow.
As I understand it on the modern alternators the smaller wire is connected to the ECU and tells the alternator what output to provide depending on usage/ load steering lights etc. plus reduces output if accelerating hard to give max. engine power.
I am retired now, life was much simpler for mechanics when I was an apprentice 53 years ago :).

This Bravo is the most modern car I own and it's a learning curve for sure regarding computers,CAN and Proxi ;) I've mailed back and forth with guys who repair and program both BCM and electric power steering units. They don't recognize any of the faults I experience so I have my fingers crossed for a Proxi update. But worst case scenario is that I need a new BCM or a new PS unit.... We'll see.

Thanks,sounds logic. We are infact using the Multiecuscan tool. We have been servicing the car in my friends garage for a good week and scanning through looking for faults.

Can the Multiecuscan perform a proxy alignment ? If so I will get right on it.

I can mention that there are a few other functions not working. Headlight- and windscreen washer / cabin blower motor only works on speed 4 / blinking clock. There is also no light in the heater panel. Might not be related at all but who knows.

According to other owner the battery light and power steering fault started some years ago. There are receipts going back to 2016 regarding new alternator and battery,then same again i 2018. Fault was very random and once in a while,then more often before it became constant. I think it's all related to the battery light and if I can get the BCM to understand that the alternator is indeed charging all will be good.
Cabin fan motor only on 4th speed may be the resister that controls the speeds on some Fiats fitted in the heater motor ducting area under dashboard.
The flashing clock if you mean the speedo than can be part of proxi alignment symptoms.

I thought the cabin fan might be a resistor fault but since it has several other electrical gremlins I feared it was all BCM related. I really don't know yet but I have a new resistor and will check at first chance.

Faults as of today are :
- No headlight or windscreen washer
- No cabin fan
- No illumination on heater panel
- Blinking clock (not ododmeter)
- Fault code B1020 Alternator D+
- No power steering

Quite a bit but it will be sorted one at a time. Some are probably individual faults others Proxi/BCM related.

I thought the cabin fan might be a resistor fault but since it has several other electrical gremlins I feared it was all BCM related. I really don't know yet but I have a new resistor and will check at first chance.

Faults as of today are :
- No headlight or windscreen washer
- No cabin fan
- No illumination on heater panel
- Blinking clock (not ododmeter)
- Fault code B1020 Alternator D+
- No power steering

Quite a bit but it will be sorted one at a time. Some are probably individual faults others Proxi/BCM related.
Try proxi first.:)

Hi :)

No direct Bravo experience..
But the Grande was pretty close in build to the Bravo.. and it had a reputation for 'strange' alternator behavior

People were advised to have their original unit rebuilt as 'pattern' alternators were giving strange effects

Maybe you are seeing a similar effect ?

I have heard about that problem but I'm not sure what it was all about. Alternator on this car has been installed at a Fiat garage so I can only assume it's the correct one. It delivers 14,4v at idle so surely a healthy charge :)
I will try to tackle the Proxi update as soon as possible but curious if it's something we can handle ourselves.

I have heard about that problem but I'm not sure what it was all about. Alternator on this car has been installed at a Fiat garage so I can only assume it's the correct one. It delivers 14,4v at idle so surely a healthy charge :)
I will try to tackle the Proxi update as soon as possible but curious if it's something we can handle ourselves.
Read this about the alternator:

Attachments

• Alternator.pdf
    315.5 KB · Views: 87
Thanks,that eLearn may come in handy. Reading the second last phrase on page 2 makes me wonder if there could be a CAN problem. One of the initial error codes when we first scanned was U1602 CAN Line Error and seconded by a U1600 Minicrypt code.

Well,we performed a proxi alignment today - but it did nothing. Same battery warning light and power steering fault. We used an updated version Multiecuscan with fresh licence. It was worth a try and I must say I had high hopes. The search goes on and I think the eLearn schematics I got from member aschiuta will come in handy. I need to follow each and everyone of the leads and connectors and see if they actually have connection and is working. It might be where the fault is burried.

The other faults mentioned seems to have other causes and is not related to the alternator/BCM issue.
- Light in heater panel is most likely two burned out bulbs and fan speed is resistor issue.
- The windscreen washer does indeed work if I apply enough force on the stalk handle - so either a new stalk switch or some lube/servicing will sort that. Regarding the headlight wash I suspect the ball valve on hose line has seized up.
- Blinking clock was as simple as setting correct time and date.

It all boils down to a constant battery warning light and power steering fault. As of now the only error code present is 0683 - preheating control unit which could be either glow plugs or a connection issue. The initial B1020 Alternator D+ has not reappeared after aprox. 60 miles of driving.

Further advice is greatly appreciated (y)

Well,we performed a proxi alignment today - but it did nothing. Same battery warning light and power steering fault. We used an updated version Multiecuscan with fresh licence. It was worth a try and I must say I had high hopes. The search goes on and I think the eLearn schematics I got from member aschiuta will come in handy. I need to follow each and everyone of the leads and connectors and see if they actually have connection and is working. It might be where the fault is burried.

The other faults mentioned seems to have other causes and is not related to the alternator/BCM issue.
- Light in heater panel is most likely two burned out bulbs and fan speed is resistor issue.
- The windscreen washer does indeed work if I apply enough force on the stalk handle - so either a new stalk switch or some lube/servicing will sort that. Regarding the headlight wash I suspect the ball valve on hose line has seized up.
- Blinking clock was as simple as setting correct time and date.

It all boils down to a constant battery warning light and power steering fault. As of now the only error code present is 0683 - preheating control unit which could be either glow plugs or a connection issue. The initial B1020 Alternator D+ has not reappeared after aprox. 60 miles of driving.

Further advice is greatly appreciated (y)
Sorry to hear the proxi alignment didn't work, it worked for me first time, using the Snap On program, but some users say they had to run it a couple of times.
So I assume alternator charging voltage appears correct now anyway, but you still have no power steering? Strange no error codes re that.
When you did the proxi alignment did it find the power steering?

Yes,I believe we connected to the power steering without problem. And as of now there are no related error codes. Maybe we should try proxi one more time ?

Yes,alternator is charging strongly with 14,5 - 14,5 volts so at least that is ruled out. We have also measured the D+ from alternator and straight to the BCM and it measures ok. But as mentioned I should probably use the eLearn diagram and check every related point. It might reveal something. I still wonder about the voltage on D+ as it's not equal to the charge voltage. It differs 0,7volts. Is that a concern ?

I have spoken to a couple of shops that recondition and program BCM's and power steering units. They don't recognize the errors I experience. Anyway I can't rule out that there are problems with one of these units.

I purchased eLearn and will have a new look when I have a chance. Impressed with eLearn so far as it looks nicely laid out and easy to understand so I have high hopes :)

Work continues and a few of the faults were fixed. Fan blower problem was burnt connector on resistor and the dark heater panel only needed new bulbs. I also measured once again the circuit from D+ and into BCM and also from BCM to instrument panel connector. BCM earth connection also checked out fine. All ok. Performed a new Proxi Alignment but still no solution on the power supply.
I'm beginning to think the problem is within the BCM and that I need a repaired or new unit.

Ended the session with a flashing odometer which we could not resolve even with new Proxi. All in all we fixed some faults and got one new fault....

Work continues and a few of the faults were fixed. Fan blower problem was burnt connector on resistor and the dark heater panel only needed new bulbs. I also measured once again the circuit from D+ and into BCM and also from BCM to instrument panel connector. BCM earth connection also checked out fine. All ok. Performed a new Proxi Alignment but still no solution on the power supply.
I'm beginning to think the problem is within the BCM and that I need a repaired or new unit.

Ended the session with a flashing odometer which we could not resolve even with new Proxi. All in all we fixed some faults and got one new fault....
Can you post a list of the current error codes to see if anyone recognises them.:(

Back