Technical Battery removal

Currently reading:
Technical Battery removal

Gstewart

Hi I have a 2022 Ducato based motorhome and am looking to remove the battery for maintaining at home over the period of winter storage elsewhere
Does anyone know if I’ll damage the electronics by completely removing the battery for a few months ?
Any guidance appreciated

Pre 21 should be ok newer dont know. Beware and be aware there is a set procedure for removal and replacement of batteries to put to sleep and wake up the various ECUs in the correct order. The procedure is published elswhere on the forum Peugeot calls the BCM something different. You are right to be concerned.

found it (saved on my tsblet) original poster unknown
If you have solar panels and a regulator such as the Votronic series, or other facility that has a connection between the leisure and vehicle battery systems, I would recommend covering the panels and disconnecting them from the regulator, plus removing the main leisure battery fuse before disconnecting the leisure battery as well, the restore the connections in the reverse order.

Where the instructions state to wait 3 minutes after closing doors etc, I recommend 10 minutes if the ignition has been on within the previous 10 minutes, to allow the system to go into "sleep" mode.

Note that this procedure on a Ducato or similar van with the battery inside the cabin, requires you to be inside the van with all the doors shut etc. as per the instructions before disconnecting or reconnecting the battery, so do the preparatory work such as removing the floor covering and battery tray cover first, then get inside the vehicle, shut all the doors etc. and after waiting the requisite time, disconnect the battery. The negative terminal often has a clip type clamp, rather than a bolt. which makes things easier.

Once the battery has been disconnected, wait at least 5 minutes before reconnecting it.

------------------------------------------------
BSI (Body System Interface) Reboot Procedure (Ducato Body Control Module)

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY DISCONNECTION

Whenever a vehicle battery has to be disconnected, switch off all equipment, interior lights etc, close the doors leaving the driver’s window open.

Switch off the ignition and remove the key and any diagnostic equipment.

Wait a full 3 minutes before disconnecting the battery.

The BSi must be allowed to go to SLEEP i.e. into "active economy mode". Do not operate any equipment on the vehicle during this time. Remember, even opening the bonnet will wake the BSi on a vehicle fitted with alarm.

If the battery is under the bonnet, open the bonnet first and leave it up.

ALWAYS disconnect any diagnostic equipment and do not operate any other vehicles in the vicinity during the 3 minute waiting period.

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY RECONNECTION

Unless otherwise instructed by Peugeot or Product Service, you must always carry out the following procedure, often referred to as a "soft re-boot", to minimize the possibility of the BSi corrupting its own software when reconnecting the vehicles battery supply.

Ensure the procedure for battery disconnection has been adhered to and importantly all BSi functions were switched off with the driver’s window left down.

1 Close all doors
2 Remove ignition key if left in ignition
3 Reconnect battery. DO NOT open any doors
4 Wait 10 seconds
5 Switch on headlights through the driver’s window
6 Switch on ignition then start the vehicle and check system functions

I wonder what Fiat suggest if the battery fails so there is no power? It happened to me on my 2017 2.3 150. In any event I replaced it with a new battery by disconnecting the negative and then positive and reversing that for reconnection. It all worked afterwards.
When my vehicle was new it was subject to a recall for part of the DPF pipework replacement. I watched the Fiat guys who just removed the negative terminal from the battery and then the positive. They then held the battery leads together for 30 seconds.

found it (saved on my tsblet) original poster unknown
If you have solar panels and a regulator such as the Votronic series, or other facility that has a connection between the leisure and vehicle battery systems, I would recommend covering the panels and disconnecting them from the regulator, plus removing the main leisure battery fuse before disconnecting the leisure battery as well, the restore the connections in the reverse order.

Where the instructions state to wait 3 minutes after closing doors etc, I recommend 10 minutes if the ignition has been on within the previous 10 minutes, to allow the system to go into "sleep" mode.

Note that this procedure on a Ducato or similar van with the battery inside the cabin, requires you to be inside the van with all the doors shut etc. as per the instructions before disconnecting or reconnecting the battery, so do the preparatory work such as removing the floor covering and battery tray cover first, then get inside the vehicle, shut all the doors etc. and after waiting the requisite time, disconnect the battery. The negative terminal often has a clip type clamp, rather than a bolt. which makes things easier.

Once the battery has been disconnected, wait at least 5 minutes before reconnecting it.

------------------------------------------------
BSI (Body System Interface) Reboot Procedure (Ducato Body Control Module)

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY DISCONNECTION

Whenever a vehicle battery has to be disconnected, switch off all equipment, interior lights etc, close the doors leaving the driver’s window open.

Switch off the ignition and remove the key and any diagnostic equipment.

Wait a full 3 minutes before disconnecting the battery.

The BSi must be allowed to go to SLEEP i.e. into "active economy mode". Do not operate any equipment on the vehicle during this time. Remember, even opening the bonnet will wake the BSi on a vehicle fitted with alarm.

If the battery is under the bonnet, open the bonnet first and leave it up.

ALWAYS disconnect any diagnostic equipment and do not operate any other vehicles in the vicinity during the 3 minute waiting period.

PROCEDURE FOR BATTERY RECONNECTION

Unless otherwise instructed by Peugeot or Product Service, you must always carry out the following procedure, often referred to as a "soft re-boot", to minimize the possibility of the BSi corrupting its own software when reconnecting the vehicles battery supply.

Ensure the procedure for battery disconnection has been adhered to and importantly all BSi functions were switched off with the driver’s window left down.

1 Close all doors
2 Remove ignition key if left in ignition
3 Reconnect battery. DO NOT open any doors
4 Wait 10 seconds
5 Switch on headlights through the driver’s window
6 Switch on ignition then start the vehicle and check system functions
This is all really helpful thanks and seems to suggest if procedures followed then there shouldn’t be any long term issues associated with complete battery removal.
Interestingly the bit about leaving the drivers window open. This I can’t do as security and contamination ingress might well be an issue
In any case I wouldn’t need to keep an open window as I can easily access the cabin through the habitation door . Does anyone know if locking the cab doors from the inside uses a mechanical process( non electrical) or is it an electronic (solenoid activated process?
Thanks again

This is all really helpful thanks and seems to suggest if procedures followed then there shouldn’t be any long term issues associated with complete battery removal.
Interestingly the bit about leaving the drivers window open. This I can’t do as security and contamination ingress might well be an issue
In any case I wouldn’t need to keep an open window as I can easily access the cabin through the habitation door . Does anyone know if locking the cab doors from the inside uses a mechanical process( non electrical) or is it an electronic (solenoid activated process?
Thanks again
I think the window bit is about access and not communicating with the BCM (as using hab door might).
the passenger door is solennoid opperated. if you remove the battery it will be possible to open it from outside. There is a mechanical lock on passenger side that need to be operated first.see photo ps its sideways on turn screen around.
test2.png On drivers side lock using the key (hab lock will be dependent on convertor (on my rapido from inside i push handle forward.)
The you tube video

may help

I think the window bit is about access and not communicating with the BCM (as using hab door might).
the passenger door is solennoid opperated. if you remove the battery it will be possible to open it from outside. There is a mechanical lock on passenger side that need to be operated first.see photo ps its sideways on turn screen around.
View attachment 416384 On drivers side lock using the key (hab lock will be dependent on convertor (on my rapido from inside i push handle forward.)
The you tube video

may help

This is great, thanks very much for all the info
I think I now have all the knowledge I need for the process of maintaining my service battery independently of the vehicle for over wintering 👍

Back