Technical Battery drain

Currently reading:
Technical Battery drain

nice1

Hi, my sons punto keeps draining out the battery, its a new battery and its been checked, also i had the alternator checked which is fine,

I've checked the drain with a multimeter which shows 0.06 and this is from the radio, i know this because i checked the fuses to see,

the only thing that shows a drain is when i turn on the ignition then turn it off, you can hear the relay clicking on but not off, it shows a drain of 0.77 until the relay clicks off, which takes several minutes,

do you think this is the cause of the draining battery? the relay (which is off the car at the moment) is white and has the name of BITRON on it, also NORS 240113.

All help will be really appreciated, Thanks

Hello and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!! :wave:

It will almost certainly be the radio. Its very common if you fit an after market radio, as the punto has a permanent live feed to the radio, unlike other makes. The solution is to disconnect the permanent live (red wire) and replace it with a switched live from say, the cigarette lighter, ignition switch or electric window switch if you have them.

The relay that you are talking about by the sounds of it is controlled by the body computer and controls the timer related devices such as courtesy light that remain on for a set period of time once the key are removed from the ignition. This is normal.

Hope that helps
Alan

Hello and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!! :wave:

It will almost certainly be the radio. Its very common if you fit an after market radio, as the punto has a permanent live feed to the radio, unlike other makes. The solution is to disconnect the permanent live (red wire) and replace it with a switched live from say, the cigarette lighter, ignition switch or electric window switch if you have them.

The relay that you are talking about by the sounds of it is controlled by the body computer and controls the timer related devices such as courtesy light that remain on for a set period of time once the key are removed from the ignition. This is normal.

Hope that helps
Alan

Hello there and thanx for the welcome, and response, i will do as you say and disconnect the permanent live,

This model of punto does not have the courtesy lights, i was thinking the relay was to do with the fuel injection and ignition, (i might be wrong) its the relay that sits in the engine bay near to the fuse for fuel pump, and injection system fuse, this relay is prtected with a 30amp fuse.

I've just taken another look at the Haynes manuel wiring diagrams, it apears it is a Multiple relay, i will try tomorrow and see what this relay actually supplys. again thank you.

Think a1ant was refering to the interior light, elec windows, follow me home feature etc.. (they stay active for 30s or so after they key is taken out providing you dont open a door)

I take it you are talking about a Mk1 punto, and that your discharge is 0.06 Amps. If this is so, then check the discharge with the radio front on and then with the radio front off. Most common cause of radios causing batteries to discharge is due to the front fascia being left on. Discharge is usually alot less with the removable front taken off.

I take it you are talking about a Mk1 punto, and that your discharge is 0.06 Amps. If this is so, then check the discharge with the radio front on and then with the radio front off. Most common cause of radios causing batteries to discharge is due to the front fascia being left on. Discharge is usually alot less with the removable front taken off.

Thank you all for your help i've now connected the live so it only comes on with the ignition, just got to wait and see if it has sorted the problem.

Check the Interior Boot Light as well.

Similar thing is happening to my car. I found my interior boot light was on, I removed the spade connector, how do I turn this off? Or is it stuck on?

Do I completely not use the permenant live (the red wire in the car?).
At the minute I have my stereo working by having it come on and off with the ignition but even if the car is off I can still eject the CD (probably a feature) but the unit powers off completely.

Back