Technical banging noise over bumps

Currently reading:
Technical banging noise over bumps

fishboy123

Hi all.
i have another question for you.
on every cinqueceno my partner has had there is allways a banging noise, sounds like its coming from the back, but its nothing in the boot and i cant see the exhaust hitting anything. any ideas.

its quite loud aswell, almost like the springs are not tight, but when i bounce the car up and down there is no noise. i thought of things like the bushes etc but cant see it.

wondering if anyone else has had the same problem as me.

thanks

D

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: cinquecento banging noise over bumps

Usually the rear trailing arm bushes.

IF you put the car on a slidey surface like a multi storey car park you can hold the wheel like you would the steering wheel and pull it towards/away from you.

2 options - standard ones are less than a tenner each from eurocarcare (need 2 per side) Need a couple of hours labour at a workshop to fit as they need a lot of effort to fit.

Other option is to get uprated ones that you can fit yourself if good at taking cars apart about £60 but you have to do both sides.

There is a guide or two on this forum...........

thanks for the help guys. as soon as its back on the road i will test it :)

i dont think of hand though that the wheel moves, because my partner has a 2nd cinquecento that she is using untill this one gets the mot and i must say, if you grab the back wheels and pull them both ways there is a huge amount of movement, i can also see it when she goes over speed bumps how much the back wheels seem to bend in and out. but i cant say i have seen that on the pink one. will have a look though (y)

I also couldn't detect any movement in my rear wheels/arms when I checked, but replacing the rear trailing arm bushes stopped the horrendous banging noise i was getting. the noise came on fast too - in about 250 miles.

The car you describe where you can see the wheel moving is dangerous. If it's got an MOT then it shouldn't have passed. It's not a difficult job to do and you'll have a car that is easier to drive.

Thanks Danny. i agree it should have failed the mot. we brought it with 10 months on so mabie it was ok when it went for it.

that car is now being broken for parts anyway, now we have the pink Cinquecento back on the road.

i also have some problem with the steering.

if we turn left then back on to a strait. the car still wants to turn left for about quarter a mile, then all runs true untill you turn left again then you get the same problem.

any ideas?

Thanks

Back