Backup

Currently reading:
Backup

luvduvs

SNAP!
I want to back up some files (mostly personal documents & photos) - can anyone recommend a good method and/or product?

Well at the moment I won't need to much space (<10GB), so I'm thinking of just writing everything to a rewritable CD on a weekly/fortnightly basis. I hear that external HDDs aren't very reliable and can crap themselves after a few months?

Thing that scares me is if my laptop stops working then I'll lose everything..

External HDD's are nearly as reliable as a normal HDD.

Get a 3.5" version as they're more reliable than a laptop HDD 2.5".

Chances of laptop drive AND external HDD dying at the same time are very, very low.

You won't fit much if you're using CDs. 700mb max or DVD 4.5Gb. I'd get an external HDD or build/buy yourself a very basic PC and use it as a file server.

Actually that's a pretty good idea - at least you don't lose everything if one fails.

I also run 6 HDDS, lol, plus have loads of stuff [movies in XviD format, etc] backed up onto DVD-Rs, all indexed, etc.

The beauty of a few extra harddrives is that I have one partitioned 30GB purely for backup - have copies of all my drivers, applications, in there, so if my boot drive did fail, I can get back to normal pretty quick :)

Back