Punto (Mk2/2b) Back to Fiat..

Currently reading:
Punto (Mk2/2b) Back to Fiat..

StigR

After 10 yrs back to Fiat,
Having owned a Fiat Uno75SX -88 and a Croma -88 (liked it very much!) it is now a Punto 60 -01. (Mk2)
Very cheap £135 ..
thumb.gif
As new inside and outside.
But, just a minor problem, engine will not rev up, its possible to drive, but max 1500 rpm, not impressed...
thumb_down.gif

Time to use the little grey cells..

135 squid thats quite cheap

engine not revving up? explain little more
You can drive at idle rev 1000-1200 rpm, if you are very careful with yr right foot,, above engine stalls and dies.

A little yellow indicator "engine check"(?) is lit...Not good.
thumb_down.gif

I will create a new thread in the Punto Mk2/2b forum.

Last edited:
You can drive at idle rev 1000-1200 rpm, if you are very careful with yr right foot,, above engine stalls and dies.

A little yellow indicator "engine check"(?) is lit...Not good.
thumb_down.gif

I will create a new thread in the Punto Mk2/2b forum.

If engine light is on. Connect it up to multi ecu scan. Should then tell you whats wrong

Installed my code reader ELM327 USB today together with the software.
A little tricky, but all seems to work out fine now.
Did a "code read". Only one error.
1. "P0460 Fuel level sensor "A" circuit"

???

Edit. A quick check in the forum revealed this is common at low fuel levels..1½ gal in tank..
Still suspicious about the fuel pump..

Last edited:
Found this:
----------------------------------------
Fuel Level Sensor "A" CircuitWhat does this mean?
OBD Code P0460refers to
The fuel level sensor is mounted in the fuel level sensor unit. The sensor detects a fuel level in the fuel tank and transmits a signal to the ECM. It consists of two parts, one is mechanical float and the other side is variable resistor. Fuel level sensor output voltage changes depending on the movement of the fuel mechanical float.

Symptoms
Possible sumptoms of OBD code P0460
- Engine Light ON (or Service Engine Soon Warning Light) - Fuel level gauge improper operation
Causes
Possible causes of OBD code P0460
- Harness or connectors (The sensor circuit is open or shorted) - Fuel level sensor may be faulty - Combination meter The Error code is generally activated on detection of the following conditions: Even though the vehicle is parked, a signal being varied is sent from the fuel level sensor to ECM.
Possible Solutions
--------------------------------------------------
Thanks flisko
I suppose we are close enough?
Order new pump on Monday?

http://www.datsc.com/tabid/122/OBD-Error-Code/P0460/Diagnostics/Fiat/Default.aspx

Last edited:
do you see how much fuel you got inside?
A gal maybe 1½.. not more than 5-7litres..
To add fuel does not help the major fault.
Engine revs up to max 2200rpm.
Maybe more fuel could help? As a first try?
Next step is to check fuel flow and pressure (Tomorrow...)
If they are low.. well, got to open my wallet...

As far as I'm concerned, the fuel level sensor is not going to put the ECU in fault mode.
I'd probably check flow and pressure as you've suggested. Maybe pull the pump out of the tank as well, and have a look at the filter.

Things are running slow here..
thumb_down.gif

I have recently ordered a universal fuel pressure measuring kit.

1. Measure fuel pressure.
2. Check fuel pump (replace?)

Checked fuel pressure today, 3.1 bar. OK.
Back to square one again...

If the 8v motor is out by a tooth it will start and idle perfectly but as soon as you ask for power it runs out of breath. 2200rpm is a lower cut-off that I've seen with one tooth out. Maybe it's out two.

If the 8v motor is out by a tooth it will start and idle perfectly but as soon as you ask for power it runs out of breath. 2200rpm is a lower cut-off that I've seen with one tooth out. Maybe it's out two.
Best answer - you could be right (y)
I´ll check the timing belt ASAP.
Should I mention I have aquired another Punto? Identical, for comparison (Cost? £50..:D)

Last edited:
Back