Technical Back silencer box replacement

Currently reading:
Technical Back silencer box replacement

Just got 2 quotes for back box replacement on my 2006 Stilo 1.4 5 door. £85 fom local garage and £120 from Quickfit (for the same box; they both work from the same supplier catalogue). Price of a Fiat original spare is about £115.
Has anybody found a cheaper deal?

Last edited:
You could try replacing it yourself but I wouldn't advise it. It's a dreadfully messy job

Be aware that your car will most likely sound much louder afterwards as it gradually goes dull with carbon build up inside.

Hi there,

I used Magowans tyres in Mallusk for a new back box on my Micra a year or so ago and have nothing but praise for the work they did. Their suppliers are next door so they can have pretty much any parts within an hour. The box was £65 fitted, the part if I remember right was about £50 alone so they were reasonable enough.

Magowans in Carrickfergus are meant to be useless FYI.

I'd stay away from Quickfit full stop, I've had nothing but trouble with them, that's just my opinion though.

Edit: Dee's exhausts in Newtownabbey gave me the cheapest quote but they didn't have the part at the time, I have no idea what the standard of work is like though. Sorry I can't help with anywhere closer to you!

Last edited:
I just cut through the old clamp and fit new, that's what they'll do too
CIMG2831.JPG
Have a look at the rear rubber mount, yours might be alright (it'll probably look different to this too) but mine needed replacement whilst it was all apart

Hi there,

I used Magowans tyres in Mallusk for a new back box on my Micra a year or so ago and have nothing but praise for the work they did. Their suppliers are next door so they can have pretty much any parts within an hour. The box was £65 fitted, the part if I remember right was about £50 alone so they were reasonable enough.

Magowans in Carrickfergus are meant to be useless FYI.

I'd stay away from Quickfit full stop, I've had nothing but trouble with them, that's just my opinion though.

Edit: Dee's exhausts in Newtownabbey gave me the cheapest quote but they didn't have the part at the time, I have no idea what the standard of work is like though. Sorry I can't help with anywhere closer to you!

Thanks for this Minus8. I'm in Bangor and my low er quote was from Armstrong-Beattie in the Balloo estate. They are mostly tyre people and give very good service.

View attachment 83124
Have a look at the rear rubber mount, yours might be alright (it'll probably look different to this too) but mine needed replacement whilst it was all apart

Thanks Decks. I was thinking of picking up a new rear rubber hanger and fitting myself if necessary.

View attachment 83124

I second that. Thought my rear mount was fine...until I removed it and found it was badly perished. It's in the path of muck from the rear wheel which attacks the rubber.

Back