General Awful fuel economy on Fiat Panda 1.3 multijet diesel

Currently reading:
General Awful fuel economy on Fiat Panda 1.3 multijet diesel

Hi
I've a 2007 Fiat panda 1.3 multijet diesel. I got it specifically for its so-called excellent fuel economy.

Instead that's not the case :mad: I'm getting less than 35mpg around town. I always use my gears carefully to save fuel. It's almost as bad as my gas guzzling Merc 1.6 A class petrol that I exchanged for the fiat.

It's only got 43000 on the clock! So it's not like its an old worn engine!

No doubt its probably down to Fiats cheap and nasty multijet engine. :mad:

Damn things costing me a fortune to run!

My neighbour has a 2005 Peugeot 206 HDI diesel. He's a terrible driver never in the right gear and its a much heavier car, yet he gets over 55mpg around town! Of course Peugeot make a good quality Diesel engine and that's probably the difference.

Fiat? Never Again!

I'll never get trapped with another a Fiat. I'd part ex it but you lose a lot of money that way.

Last edited:
If you are mainly using a car around town, a diesel is the wrong choice. Economy will also depend on distances travelled in each journey.
A diesel engine takes longer to warm up than a petrol, due to it having more metal in it to absorb the heat, and diesel combustion being at a lower temperature. It will not reach full efficiency until properly warm, which it will not achieve at short distances. This will apply for any diesel engine over short distances. Diesels make sense for higher mileages and longer journeys.

So, initially, from the little detail given, it is not possible to determine if this is 'normal' for your use, or if there might be something wrong. More details, such as distance travelled, how long between each journey, etc., might help. Comparing your neighbour's car may not be valid, unless identical journey patterns are compared.

:yeahthat:

If your journeys are relatively short and your car never gets up to temperature, then buying the Multijet Panda is the wrong car for you. You'll eventually get it choked up if that's the kind of driving you do.

I do a lot of driving in traffic around Belfast but importantly my Panda gets up to temperature on almost every journey I do. In the winter that might take it 8 miles if it's really cold. I check fuel consumption tank to tank and usually get 60-65 mpg in my Multijet. I've had mine from new and now on 106.5K miles.

Hi
I've a 2007 Fiat panda 1.3 multijet diesel. I got it specifically for its so-called excellent fuel economy.

Instead that's not the case :mad: I'm getting less than 35mpg around town.

No doubt its probably down to Fiats cheap and nasty multijet engine. :mad:

I'll never get trapped with another a Fiat. I'd part ex it but you lose a lot of money that way.

Yep, that's quite an achievement. 35mpg. We get more than that from our 100hp. That said, there's only two standard sized adults in it and it's not towing a cross-channel ferry.

As you've obviously had the car checked out mechanically and it's shown to be OK then it probably does make sense for you to sell it and buy something else. Pandas do tend to have a good resale value, specially relatively low-mileage diesels.

I gather the later VW Group diesels are surprisingly economical.

My neighbour has a 2005 Peugeot 206 HDI diesel. He's a terrible driver never in the right gear and its a much heavier car, yet he gets over 55mpg around town!

This is bolax I have driven citroen 1.6 diesel -06 and even attempted to work on the thing, it's no better than the Fiat. Its really not. Have you tried to do even an oil change on it? is it on its 2nd turbo yet? and listening to your mates mpg figures isnt scientific. I have heard so many people who say I get 65mpg, 70 mpg. Maybe that one time they cruised at 55mph on a slight incline and made a mental note of it.

IMO I don't like diesel but the Fiat is no better no worse than anything out there. If these are your yardsticks for what will make you happy from a car then you are never going to be happy.

Last edited:
I am very surprised at your high consumption, even with a lot of town driving. My Multi gets used for light towing often, a permanent roof rack with crossbars on which sits a kayak now and then, and a frequent passenger complete with wheelchair. Driving is mostly short journeys, with a mix of main roads and town driving thrown in. I'm not the most economical Multijet driver on here, but if the consumption ever drops below 60mpg, I investigate - it's such a rare occurrence.

I would suggest that your's needs attention. Try removing the air filter for a day and checking the consumption - it's an easy and quick test. If the consumption improves, change the filter.

It's pretty hard to seperate Fiat and modern cars common rail diesel engine.

It was they and Magenti Marelli (part of the Fiat group anyway) that put the initial research and development into an automotive common rail motor before running out of cash and selling it on to Bosch. (Ouch!)

And it's a surprise to some that Fiat's range of oil burners are sold and used by lots of manufacturers, they are far more common than you've think.

Apart from the obvious Fiats, Alfas and Lancias.
They went in Opels/Vauxhalls, from Corsa's to Insignias, Combo's to Astras.
SAABs, Suzuki's. TATA's and Maruti's.
Daihatsu.
Fords.
Chevrolets, Jeeps, Cadillacs.
Ivecos.

And quite interestingly Fiat shared two platforms with Citroen and Peugeot products.
The Nemo, Bipper, Qubo and the Ducato, Boxer and Jumper and guess what, the Multijet was the chosen engine for all of them.

My favourite, the Alenia Aermacchi
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alenia_Aeronautica_Sky-Y

Love that flying machine!
It's not the 1.3 Multi though, but the 1.9 version. Bet it's noisy.

There's obviously something wrong with the car, your driving, or your maths.
Your post had lots of words but little information ie more heat than light !
The MJ is a super little engine.

Back