General Avoid the GP like the plague!

Currently reading:
General Avoid the GP like the plague!

Imagine that another thread has came down to "Engine Size"!
eek.gif

lol..........to be fair though the customer' has been complaining about the range of engines since it's introduction and yet Fiat still don't f*cking listen:bang:

lol..........to be fair though the customer' has been complaining about the range of engines since it's introduction and yet Fiat still don't f*cking listen:bang:

Because people still buy them.

It amazes me :doh: that people buy a car then start complaining about it. Surely if homework was done beforehand no one would be disappointed.

We have three cars in our family, a 2007 Honda Civic (owned from new), a 2013 Fiat 500C TA Lounge (owned from new) and a 1986 Fiat Panda 1000CL (owned since January). The Civic and the 500C were both given extensive test drives to make sure it fulfilled all our expectations and the Panda was also well tested but was also bought from a friend who got it from another friend and I had driven others over the previous year. This means there were no performance surprises apart from the 500 which was better than the test vehicle.

I don't understand how someone can buy a car without thoroughly testing it. Ahhhh

Dont like whats on offer dont buy it *simples*

Stems from the vast majority who have completed the survey and the larger proportion who completed the survey

Thanks for saying that twice! (y)

So how many from FF completed the survey and what is the larger proportion of the survey?

Would be nice too see from the many who took the survey actually fcuking owned/own a GP!

At the end of the day if you dont like what Fiat offer then dont buy it I mean it really cannot get any more simple than that and no one is holding a shotgun to anyones head to buy a GP or a FIAT!

Last edited:
Imagine that another thread has came down to "Engine Size"!
eek.gif

Thing is though, it's a valid point. And has a lot to do with it.

I drove a 1.2 grande and without wishing to offend anyone who owns one, i thought it was pretty poor. Sluggish, felt strained and even the ride felt absolutely awful and the whole thing just felt cheap. Then drove a 1.9 multijet sporting, it didn't feel like a car from the same marque as the 1.2, let alone the same model range!, aside from the massively better engine the whole car just felt better.

And on the engine size, sadly, for the Abarth, a 1.4 just doesn't cut it in the performance catergory. The 1.4 t-jet is a cracking engine (and the GPA is a gorgeous car) and the figures for it are "decent", but when people buy a performance car, they don't want a 1.4, turbo or not, the fact it;s a 1.4, in this day and age means it lacks credibility. In 5-10 years time it will likely be the norm for performance hatches to have small turbo engines but as a car of it's time, The GP abarth just doesn't fit when you have smaller, lighter cars with bigger engines putting out more power. The GP Abarth should have had 200Bhp standard and an engine of over 2.0, just to keep the top trumps performance car buyers happy.

Thing is though, it's a valid point. And has a lot to do with it.

So again, you either buy it for its looks and not its speed or you don't again this is rather simple.

May be I am just one of the rare few that looked into a car and what it was going to be used for and what its capabilities were and what I was going to be doing in the car before I bought it. :rolleyes:

I really would love to know where you are all driving about at break neck speeds in the UK where the roads are full of pot holes, speed bumps, 20mph zones and speed cameras, I am sure your local tracks and 'private roads' at the weekends must be full of you guys flying about doing 100mph+, good luck to you all! (y)

Then again it is really hard to avoid all the Quarter Mile Drag Races on my commute to and from work at peak times Monday to Friday. :D

Dont like whats on offer dont buy it *simples*

Thanks for saying that twice! (y)

So how many from FF completed the survey and what is the larger proportion of the survey?

Would be nice too see from the many who took the survey actually fcuking owned/own a GP!

At the end of the day if you dont like what Fiat offer then dont buy it I mean it really cannot get any more simple than that and no one is holding a shotgun to anyones head to buy a GP or a FIAT!

Couple of drinks lol! Meant to be on about lower powered engines

So again, you either buy it for its looks and not its speed or you don't again this is rather simple.

May be I am just one of the rare few that looked into a car and what it was going to be used for and what its capabilities were and what I was going to be doing in the car before I bought it. :rolleyes:

I really would love to know where you are all driving about at break neck speeds in the UK where the roads are full of pot holes, speed bumps, 20mph zones and speed cameras, I am sure your local tracks and 'private roads' at the weekends must be full of you guys flying about doing 100mph+, good luck to you all! (y)

Then again it is really hard to avoid all the Quarter Mile Drag Races on my commute to and from work at peak times Monday to Friday. :D

It's nothing to do with driving a car on its limits nor break neck speeds.

It's simply ease of use and driving. That's it.

Steering to light and lacking in feel ride lumpy dash rattling lack of performance strange knocking noises? That's a GP

It's nothing to do with driving a car on its limits nor break neck speeds.

It's simply ease of use and driving. That's it.

Steering to light and lacking in feel ride lumpy dash rattling lack of performance strange knocking noises? That's a GP

So your selling yours then LMAO? Ah I forgot your a FORD Owner now, much superior LOL

Last edited:

Maybe i'm picking your post up wrong, but i think you've totally misread my post

I'm saying that in the GP range, there is a massive, massive difference between all the models. It's quite possible a few folk have "fallen in love" with the looks of the GP, and the excitement of getting a good value new car (and the 1.2 is value) and taken the plunge, then once the novelty has worn off, they've realised that actually..... it's a little bit disappointing to live with day in, day out. Something that owners of the t-jets and m-jet sportings etc wouldn't feel anywhere near as much because the cars feel more quality all rounders.

Nothing to do with speed as such. or racing etc etc.

As for the comments on the Abarth, again it's fair to say the engine size takes away some credibility. Figures ARE important for a performance flagship, what sounds better, a 1.4 turbo punto with 160 (0r 180bhp), or a 2.5 liter turbocharged 225bhp focus? performance buyers want performance and bragging rights, 1.4 doesn't cut it in that company, even the Clio's have more

Maybe i'm picking your post up wrong, but i think you've totally misread my post

I'm saying that in the GP range, there is a massive, massive difference between all the models. It's quite possible a few folk have "fallen in love" with the looks of the GP, and the excitement of getting a good value new car (and the 1.2 is value) and taken the plunge, then once the novelty has worn off, they've realised that actually..... it's a little bit disappointing to live with day in, day out. Something that owners of the t-jets and m-jet sportings etc wouldn't feel anywhere near as much because the cars feel more quality all rounders.

As for the comments on the Abarth, again it's fair to say the engine size takes away some credibility. Figures ARE important for a performance flagship, what sounds better, a 1.4 turbo punto with 160 (0r 180bhp), or a 2.5 liter turbocharged 225bhp focus? performance buyers want performance and bragging rights, 1.4 doesn't cut it in that company, even the Clio's have more

LOL mate I understand what you are saying in that Fiat/Abarth aren't up to scratch compared to FORD or RENAULT with their big supped up twin turbo all singing all dancing engines but surely before handing over your hard earned cash for a car you would look at the most important part of the specs list if that was what was important to you and wanted the bragging rights to say 'my cars faster than your car' lol ;)

LOL mate I understand what you are saying in that Fiat/Abarth aren't up to scratch compared to FORD or RENAULT with their big supped up twin turbo all singing all dancing engines but surely before handing over your hard earned cash for a car you would look at the most important part of the specs list if that was what was important to you and wanted the bragging rights to say 'my cars faster than your car' lol ;)

which, going by the lack of Abarth Grande's compared to other performance flagships compared to other marques efforts, is exactly what most people are doing ;)

Id agree with that.

My comment was in no way meant to put down the lower spec models, different people want and need different things from cars and a basic 1.2 will be perfect for a great many people.

IMO the GP is a good car for the money, and is very competetive with models of its age.

Its is however getting long in the tooth and should have been replaced with a much improved model instead of 2 terrible facelifts in order to remain competetive.

The Abarth should have the 1.7tbi to keep pace with the class leader Fiesta ST.

The 1.2 fire in the panda and 500 are fun, in the GP no fun. The same can be said of the also woeful 1.2 and 1.4 Corsa engines. I can not even begin to imagine what the 1.0 3cyl is like

Girlfriend has one, I really do wonder what dim wit decided to even think of creating that car let alone sell the damn thing, it has no positives what so ever.

Hahaha that post really did make me laugh (in a good way)
Tbh I wish I had known what I was buying as when I got the GP I really didn't know **** all about cars, hence the 'remap for a 1.2' threads that I embarrassingly posted almost a year ago :p
Having a 1.2 active myself being the most basic of the basic, most of the time it's actually fine, but there are plenty of times pulling out of junctions and even just trying to do the speed limit on dcways and motorways where the car struggles, sometimes I just wish I had that power there to do things comfortably without revving the tits out of it and using as much petrol as any other car with twice the engine size!

Shame that i'll never see a gp as they should have been with fiat axing them next year, or so i've heard

Back