Average Speed Speed Cameras

Currently reading:
Average Speed Speed Cameras

Alex

Now hacking in PHP
How do they calculate your speed? Is it from one camera to the next, or over the whole distance they cover? They bloody everywhere in scotland!

A90 between Edinburgh and Aberdeen, loads of roadworks. Also on the M40 just outside london in roadworks... luckily (kind of) I never had the opportunity to go anywhere the speed limit imposed (AFIK) so should be in the clear.

And for those who need to know London to Aberdeen is possible in 12 hours... in a van.

Am I right in thinking that these ones dont have the lines painted on the road??? are they yellow?

I've seen a few of those bule trafficmaster or whatever they're called coming back from norfolk but I stopped for a cig break about every 30 mins so I was fine :D

theres 4 along some roadworks on the M56, theyre a pain as there is one on a sliproad so you think they are finished and accelerated and get caught out by the last one round the bend!

they time how long it takes you in between the cameras and if your too quick they know your speeding. even if you do exactly the speed limit through them

Helz said:
Took us 5 from Carlisle - Aberdeen in the works van. Then it's another 3 to B'ham and another 2 to London (at slow pace) so what were you doing for the other 2? :p

Sitting in traffic... Somebody decided to role their caravan, and some other people decided to crash into each other:mad: :mad: :mad:

oh... and I went via oswestry

had I had reliable internet access I would have offered a courier service for ff parts... I may be doing the trip again so maybe next time.

well, it'll probably north -> south, but I will ask if I need to do the journey again. may be a good few months though.

Alex said:
...I went via oswestry
Going from where to where? :confused:
The average speed cameras (SPECS?) only need to calculate your speed from one camera to the next, as if they worked from end-to-end, then to speed from end-to-end, you must have been speeding in at least one section.
H

mog1571 said:
theres 4 along some roadworks on the M56, theyre a pain as there is one on a sliproad so you think they are finished and accelerated and get caught out by the last one round the bend!

they time how long it takes you in between the cameras and if your too quick they know your speeding. even if you do exactly the speed limit through them

Thats what I thought... But I wasn't sure, they could have measured your speed at each point and averaged it.

Also heard they can do ANPR and they check the database for no tax so even without speeding you could still get done, I only heard this from a mate tho so maybe poo.

Liam

Alex said:
But I wasn't sure, they could have measured your speed at each point and averaged it.
Yes, but that would defeat the object of them - because people would slow down for first camera, then blat hard, before braking for the second one.

I have 2 systems right near me - but sometimes I need to exit off before I hit the 4th camera (y)

Liam said:
Also heard they can do ANPR and they check the database for no tax so even without speeding you could still get done, I only heard this from a mate tho so maybe poo.

Liam
Because of the way Specs work it is very possible for them to do ANPR but it would be one of those things that have to be enabled, so they may not do it all the time.

Even those Blue Traffic Master Traffic Sensors could do ANPR if they were enabled to do so.

Last edited:
Stuart DemonD said:
Yes, but that would defeat the object of them - because people would slow down for first camera, then blat hard, before braking for the second one.

I have 2 systems right near me - but sometimes I need to exit off before I hit the 4th camera (y)

thats what they have done near ours but they been sneaky and put a 5th camera on the sliproad round the corner so it catches alot of people out who accelerate off the motorway

mog1571 said:
thats what they have done near ours but they been sneaky and put a 5th camera on the sliproad round the corner so it catches alot of people out who accelerate off the motorway
no harm in putting up an extra camera to work out your average speed over a longer distance. could put up numorous odd number of camera sets the achieve the same thing.

Say the difference distracted you then crash into it (Prentend lose control and park next to it), move your car then set the cam on fire and say the cam burned as result of the car touching it.

If they question you tell them it happens in the movies all the time.

IIRC theres supposed to be some of these on M4 (near bristol), but not seeing them and now have blasted along there a few times and not heard anything.. Same with M42, theres signs there saying they are there but if they are then i surely should have a ticket from there too.. Not convinced they are there, anyone got a ticket on either of these places??

At night they may not be easy to spot as they look like extended street lamps... except without the bulb and yellow camera.

There are currently some on sections of the M1 and M25 but they are there for road works.

Maybe the ones on the M4 were to and have since been taken down.

there was roadworks for ages but there was blatant tempory ones there you just slow down for..
There definately is a sign saying they are there on the M42, if they are there they must be broken whenever i drive past them..
Just one of things i've never been sure about, seems to me that such systems would cost astranomical amounts and there surely would be an uproar about the amount of tickets being issued if they actually work, unless they just take a percentage of speeding traffic to actually issue tickets to which sounds unlikely to me. So anyone got a ticket ever saying its from one of these average speed thingies??

Back