Technical automatic gearbox

Currently reading:
Technical automatic gearbox

wulliesri16v

Hi can anyone help me my wifes automatic fiat punto selecta 60 has developed a fault sometimes it goes into the gears no problem and other times it makes a screeching noise and it wont go into gear you have to switch of the engine and restart then it goes in fine does anyone know what the problem could be someone says it is the clutch on its way out another says its the cables from the gearbox i dont want to go to a lot of expense to find out what the problem is.Also we just had a new timing belt fitted and the car was fine it had a squealing noise and a judder before we got that done and it has come back but not as bad you only notice this when you are driving in the town doesnt happen on long journeys ect does anyone have any ideas

hope someone can help me

thank you

Hi im new to this forum,Im having a very similar problem and maybee we can kill 2 birds with 1 stone.ive got a fiat punto speedgear sporting 1.2 16v 2002.
I had a problem when driving on motorway at 70mph at 3000rpm.It shot up to 7000prm and screeched after few seconds back down again my foot was in same position doing 70mph back down to 3000rpm.
So rang around and no one would touch because of the kid of gear box. So I rang Stone Acre and they diagnosed the problem for 70quid said it was TORQUE CONVERTOR and they would have to order it from Italy.It cost 1300 quid including labour.took a week for part to arrive went to pick it up and drove away from garage 15 miles down motorway same thing happened again.So took it back they gave me curtasy car free of charge.took them another 2 days to fix they also have been in contact with FIAT technical via emails doing all the diagnostics.Stone Acre said 75% better and they wont give me a refund.
Are the mechanics missing something?
can you help

they said it was torque converter you said ok fit it they did it's not fixed it is now up to them to fix it as they diagnosed the converter first you should not have to shell out another penny even if a new box i's needed the garage is now obliged to pay to fix it

if they refuse then contact fiat they'll get jumped on

Back