Austin Mini 2.0L Abarth

Currently reading:
Austin Mini 2.0L Abarth

Oh am so sorry, it looks like i have to start again as I have an external photo host. I believe I have to delete this post and upload photos internally. If this is still correct, and current, could some one confirm this please?

Yes, that is a very big judgement call indeed. The entire front end is all Fiat Strada 130tc Abarth, apart from the radiator system setup. Front end wheel alignment is fiat Strada Abarth. Full fiat Strada Abarth running gear, 5 speed gearbox e.t.c. There is not another one like this in the World. From the front bulk head backwards, it's all Mini.

I have the print out from the dyno rolling road tune-up undertaken by Aldon, in the West Midlands. An old school motorsport company that know what they are doing, especially when it comes to Twin Webber building, and tuning. They also do their own ignition systems. I will upload the print out once downloaded onto my computer.
Before I give the figures, I just want to say how important your coil is to power tune-ups. If you have a bad coil on its way out like I did, this alone will restrict your engine from running properly. For example, the car only showed 88bhp on the first run. The dyno tuner checked and tested everything. When he looked at the coil, it seemed to operate correctly up to a point. The coil test figures looked good with only a slight signal deviation on the computer monitor. The wet compression test showed that the engine was in very good health, but was still holding back. He first changed the spark plugs and leads, which improved things a bit, but the power figures still only showed 90bhp. Had he been an inexperienced technician, he may well have settled for that as the final state of tune. When the coil was tested on the meter for resistance the technician seem to suggest that he could not conclusively prove that the coil was at fault.
He changed the coil anyway for a new Lucas unit, but he did not seem happy when he tested the new coil unit on the meter to compare the reading with the old coil. At least, that's how it looked to me, due to the amount of time he spent on it. At this stage he had the car on the rollers for nearly 3 hours. After fitting the coil he gave the car another power run, and the readings surprised us all instantly. 159bhp was the reading as the team of 3 cheered on. He wanted to leave it there, but I asked him to have a quick look at the jettings and so forth to establish what the Twin 40 Webbers would max out at. Unfortunately, I could only afford a few more minutes of their time as the cost was looking close to £350 odd pounds. He changed the jets once, and gave the car another power run. 160bhp reading came up with 157lbs of torque. The torque curve is never ending, but the car can still potter around town, which seems odd to me.
The engineer said that the engine is more or less in a de-tuned state due to the exhaust being very restricted, and the lack of trumpets for the Webbers. He stated that by fitting a big bore free-flowing exhaust system, and having a look at porting out the exhaust manifold or having a stainless steel item made up. With a good set of trumpets for the Webbers, and time for testing different jets and and so forth, coupled with further ignition optimization, he would expect the car to be knocking on the door of 190bhp and loads more torque. I can tell you, the drive home was brutal .

16022011219.jpg
[/IMG]

shame it takes up so much front end space, could it not have been mounted in the rear like the R1 bike conversions using RWD? or would it have been a bit of a nightmare?

like the idea but the front of the mini is compromised aesthetically in my opinion. reminds me of the older Type R conversions with the extended front nose's.

Good work though mate and well outside my personal capabilities, keep us updated as I watch with interest (y)

@ maddogmorg, am surprised you ask such a question. Why does anyone try fitting a performance engine? 'It's for the speed'. I had a fight with a 911 turbo just the other day. Guess who won? :)
Should have seen his face.......

The carbs on the inlet manifold am using is quiet deed. Had it not been for this. The front end would be a snug fit. Saying that, the car has taken on it's own personality. A new longer front end could have been made to cover the engine, but we like the look of it, so we kept it as you see it. It would need about 200mm extension, but most people like it as you see it. It's a street fighter, why hide it! For racing on the track, a longer front end could be fitted. The front track is obviously Fiat Strada which is about 3.5in per side wider than the Mini rear end. It handles very well, but we may get some steel banded wheels to make the rear equal to the front. It has 13 by 7s at the moment. If we had some steel wheels banded, that would be like 13 by 10.5 or we may just go for 13 by 11 and be done with that. Would make the car into a scalextric in the real. You know how a Fiat Strada 130tc goes like.....Well, due to the weight of this Mini, and the increase in power next to the 130tc, it brings water to your eyes. Am not joking neither. I think it's to do with the pressure you feel as you drive fast.

I have done away with the external thermostat, and installed the stat in the head.

Back