Audio / alternator interference?

Currently reading:
Audio / alternator interference?

mikegatti

(Topic changed as I don't think this is related to it being a Fiat Multipla!)
I have read many posts about proper cabling and believe I have followed the basic rules but get interference on my new setup which sounds particularly like interference from the car's ignition system
(i.e. it's a buzzing which varies in intensity with engine speed/load)
and is obviously quite annoying!!
I have diesel Multipla and wonder if there's either something specific
with the car or my installation!

My original plan of running power cables down the driver's side to an amp under the driver's seat was scuppered when I realised that there was not quite enough clearance for the amp under the driver's seat (a scratched amp is the result) but as I'd already spent the best part of two hours finding and then breaching a grommet into the car from the engine compartment, I wasn't going to get a second box of plasters ready!

So I have an amp under the passenger seat after removing the drawer and a power cable that runs along the driver's side until it reaches the driver's seat when it turns sharply and goes across under the middle seat and connects to the front nearside of the amp. The Gnd cable is earthed on newly sanded metal under the trim on the passenger side. The speaker wires run from the front of the amp, cross the power cable briefly then go from the front of the middle seat straight towards the front of the car and up behind the central unit where I have connected them to a ISO connector, thus using the original speaker cables from the rear of the old HU as I can't seem to find a good way of putting new cables right to the speakers through the sockets in the doors.

Th RCA cables come from a 'pre-amp out' set of RCA plugs coming from the HU where they travel to the passenger side of the car under the bulkhead and then along under the trim on the passenger side until they sneak out under the passenger seat and around the back of the amp. They are 5m cables so there's loads of spare tucked at the front of the car under the HU (along with some spare speaker cable)

The HU is a Blaupunkt Los Angeles and the new speakers are all Infinity, as is the amp.

Can anyone advise if the simple act of crossing the power cable and speaker cables once might cause the problem, or by running the RCA cables along the passenger side have I inadvertently run along some other power cable?
Any advice or suggestions would be most welcome
Cheers

cant really help m8 but welcome to the forum.

nice long post for ur first post.

im sure someone will be able to help you on ere but if not i think its probs not a problem connected to ya car.

chk out http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/vbb/index.php

Sig.jpg

Thanks for the welcome - I had a look at http://www.termpro.com/articles/noise.html
which seems a good reference point and I have eliminated the speakers and amp as the noise disappearsz when the RCA cables are unplugged from the amp
I shall try removing the HU and running te RCA cable direct to the back of the HU once it's removed as the next step so I know they're not touching/near anything but fresh air and report back.
Then if there's still noise I'll scream/cry/swear and ask myself "was it worth it?"
Thanks so far

Update:-

I got a third RCA cable and plugged it into amp and then to HU directly - no noise yippee! then just to make sure I plugged one of the original RCA cables in (fronts only) and guess what - no noise.
It seems that whenever just one RCA cable is plugged into the HU I get clear noise-free connection but when two are connected I ge tthe interference - it doesn't matter about routing, cable type etc.
Now the supplied pe-amp cable (from Blaupunkt)fits into plug C-1 n the back of the HU - as I read it this has six available connections within the plug, 4 lines out, a switched connection and a ground according to the iso standard - the supplied connector only has 4 lines out and the switch cable - no ground - see it at
http://www.bluespot.co.uk/stock/preamp.asp
Could this be the cause of the buzzing?
I am not an electrician and I remain baffled - one cable pair connected NO NOISE two cable pairs connected NOISE
Anyone any ideas??

Sorry about this - yet another update - I get a whining noise (a bit like a mosquito) when the ignition is ON even though the engine is not started - but only with two cables - not with one so it seems I get the full works in terms of possible interferences! HELP!!!

and another - I notice that when I put the LPF in the ON position then the interference stops (the mosquito and 'static' noises when the engine is turning over) - I therefore assume that the amplifier is not responsible for the interference as it can filter it out hence it must be the HU?
any advice still welcome!

Hi

Im guessing it is your remote lead, I found that this must not be near the power cable, ensure you run that down the passenger side along with the RCA's or run it independantly just for testing purposes, and yes my stereo was fine without ignition on but with ignition on I used to get a whining

After a long time trouble shooting it was in fact the remote lead

If not double check wiring once again, it maybe that the power interferes with the cable at one particular point

Good Luck

Thanks - I have found a workaround where I get good sound but am still baffled - I took one RCA pair to the sub in the boot (I was going to get a separate 'sub-out' lead eventually for this purpose)
and another RCA pair I split so I had the same 'feed' going to both 'rights' and another to both 'lefts', meaning I get to use the HU balance but not the fader (or rather I can fad between the speakers and the sub. SO both RCA cables are connected to the HU, but only one goes to the amp so I'm thinking it must be the amp where I get the buzz, but why do I only get buzz and whine when I have 2 RCAs going from HU to amp and no whine in any other combination?
I will certainly try another control wire as a test to see if that works an thanks for the tip - maybe I'll try it after he weekend when I won't get so wet!!

Back