General Attention! E10 gasoline is not suitable for every Punto!

Currently reading:
General Attention! E10 gasoline is not suitable for every Punto!

kido resuri

As of January 1, 2020, due to the regulations of the European Union, the standard 95 petrol is marked with E10, ie it contains 10% renewable energy (bioethanol) instead of the previous 5%! This new blend cannot be used in certain versions of the Fiat Punto II based on the questionnaires sent and returned to the car manufacturers by the ADAC German Automobile Club!

https://translate.google.hu/transla...z-e10-benzin-nem-minden-puntoban-hasznalhato/

As of January 1, 2020, due to the regulations of the European Union, the standard 95 petrol is marked with E10, ie it contains 10% renewable energy (bioethanol) instead of the previous 5%! This new blend cannot be used in certain versions of the Fiat Punto II based on the questionnaires sent and returned to the car manufacturers by the ADAC German Automobile Club!

https://translate.google.hu/transla...z-e10-benzin-nem-minden-puntoban-hasznalhato/
Thank you. Also shows every other make / model

This is terrible news! It's the shape of things to come it seems, as we move forward with hybrid and fully electric vehicles the older style cars will be nudged out of society simply because the fuel available isn't suitable for them! (n)

I'm lucky (at the moment) as according to that link my MK2 is Euro 3 as it has the 2nd lower lambda sensor but I did fancy the idea of a HGT or another 20V Stilo as a future project one day :(

Quite misleading - not all EU countries have made the wholesale switch to E10.

The Netherlands and Belgium have, but, notably, Germany and France haven't. Neither have the UK.

Also worth knowing is that the premium grade fuels (ie. 97, 98, 99 and 100 Octane) fuels are the 'protection grade' for cars not suitable for E10.

E10 is still a minority use fuel in Germany - as in the UK, we are off-setting the need to use E10 against increased bio content in diesel to hit the overall targets.

Almost everyone drives with E10 in here in Finland with no problems :)

Is that why my exhaust has a terrible sulphur smell?

I got second hand catalytic converter, injectors and oxygen sensors and it made no difference.

The problem only seems to appear when I am revving as for example when I reverse up hill into our street

I have passed emissions tests. The problem started about 3 years ago or more. I bought the car in 2012 and first drove it in 2005

I see finland got E10 in 2011.

Last edited:
Is that why my exhaust has a terrible sulphur smell?

I got second hand catalytic converter, injectors and oxygen sensors and it made no difference.

The problem only seems to appear when I am revving as for example when I reverse up hill into our street

I have passed emissions tests. The problem started about 3 years ago or more. I bought the car in 2012 and first drove it in 2005

I see finland got E10 in 2011.
That's normal smell :D

Never got the point of adding ethanol for an environment point of view it uses more energy to harvest transport and refine into ethanol from the raw crop then it makes when burned
Suppose it still clased as "green" however

Maybe but I did not expect it from my cars exhaust

There is not much information on the internet other than it could be caused by the mixture being too rich. It only seems to happen for short periods. Like driving into the garage and out but if the car is just idling i dont smell it.
It runs rich, when the engine is cold, so it may be normal.

Although I don't think anything changed with the design of the car that I know of between year 2000 and 2001?

Anyone know any more about this?
Don't think it's the 'design of the car' as such, more the possible mods to the actual engine possibly.

The added ethanol is supposed to eat out the seals inside the engine and ancillary parts, so possibly Fiat changed certain parts, but still used the same engine.. when specifying the car make and model for parts, it sometimes appears there are 'from engine number' markers on certain items, probably indicating that something was changed during the cars production life...

Note that 10% is the maximum amount of ethanol in E10 fuel. Few fuels will contain the full 10%. You can actually tell how much ethanol is in fuel by mixing the fuel with some water and noting the change in volume of the "water". Ideally you would use a graduated cylinder with a stopper. Put about 30ml of water in it (exact amount does not matter just note how much). then add 100ml of fuel (total 130ml) and shake the mixture well. Stand it up and allow to settle. The clear liquid at the bottom will now be water plus alcohol as the acohol prefers to dissolve in water than petrol. The amount in ml that the "water" increases is the ethanol concentration in percent so if it goes to 35ml it's 5%. Obviously you can use a different volume of fuel and just do the ratio.

Do take proper safety precautions, do this outside, don't smoke and dispose of the waste fuel properly. You can pour the now alcohol free fuel off the top and put it back in the tank.

Robert G8RPI.

Any more updates on this whole E10 Fuel thing?

I'm still not sure if I can use E10 fuel in my car as it was from year 2000 and the government website says for cars after 2001 it's fine

I checked my car and it does not appear to have the lower sensor as in the photo on the link - however I see e3 labels on two places on the car

Last edited:
I'm fairly sure my Fiat Punto can run on E10 but I'm a little nervous. Listed on the government site as unsuitable for E10, is the Punto (Type 188) 1.8litre

Mine is:
FIAT Punto Dynamic Speedgear

Date of first registration: February 2003

Cylinder capacity (cc): 1242 cc
There's a 188 in the chassis number. So it's only the litre size which is different from the unsuitable model. Am I safe to put E10 in it? (When I can finally buy some!)

Well, my son is currently using my 2003 Punto 1.2 Active 8 valve, and is putting E10 in it, with no reported ill effects. The 188 bit just refers to the fact you have a Mk 2 Punto, which came with several different types of engine. The government site advises that E10 is unsuitable for the 188 1.8 litre, so I take it on faith that the 188 1.2 and 1.4 litre versions are ok.

Back