Styling ash tray alternative uses

Currently reading:
Styling ash tray alternative uses

smart51

Established member
The ash tray is an under used part of my car. Has anyone ever done anything with it? A clock, maybe or something else?

Last edited:
Some owners put in a "Voxson Junior" or "Autovox piper" radio. Loads on eBay, example as below.

These are period and if working, will be AM or medium wave only. Although I'm sure someone on the net could upgrade it to DAB.

I don't tend to bother as you won't hear much inside that loud cab but it's a nice finish.

1689837365950.png

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
AFAIK there are some people who convert the old AM radios to FM, but even finding an old AM radio is hard/expensive enough.

Im not sure what im going to do with my ashtray, wont be using it for its intended purpose, but it is such a small space, cant fit a gauge in there, not enough space for storage or a usable display. About the only thing i can think of is something like a 7-segment display for something like voltage or oil temp i suppose? Requires a bit of electronic tinkering but should be doable.

AFAIK there are some people who convert the old AM radios to FM, but even finding an old AM radio is hard/expensive enough.

Im not sure what im going to do with my ashtray, wont be using it for its intended purpose, but it is such a small space, cant fit a gauge in there, not enough space for storage or a usable display. About the only thing i can think of is something like a 7-segment display for something like voltage or oil temp i suppose? Requires a bit of electronic tinkering but should be doable.

There are loads of old Radio's on eBay. I posted a live auction (no affiliation) two posts up.

I've also seen the space adpated to hold a phone cradle as well. If you want a MPH or Google maps GPS directions etc.

When I got my 500L a previous owner had fitted an electric screen washer pump leaving the redundant original pump. The original pump bracket turned out to be just right to mount a 12 volt socket. The bracket on my sat nav dropped nicely into the open ash tray with the sat nav nicely visible and not obscuring the windscreen also kept on charge by the 12 volt socket.

Thanks to this thread I felt the need to abandon the repair of my Voxson for now and invest in a Bluetooth version of the above suggestion for minimal cost:
not sure if the dimensions work but worth a punt. I doubt it will communicate with the phone and blue-tooth speakers at the same time though. I think being black, it will be camouflaged better in the ashtray.

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Honestly, I would just get a BT speaker (i have a Wonderboom). Cheaper, more modular, and good sound quality you can take with you. You’re never going to get great sound quality out of a built in system with no sound deadening and all the engine and road noise.

yes of course, but the OP wanted to use the ash tray. There is something fun in adapting things. Now if you can find a BT speaker that just fills the ashtray opening, is matt black or in my case light blue, then i would look at that too...

Honestly, I would just get a BT speaker (i have a Wonderboom). Cheaper, more modular, and good sound quality you can take with you. You’re never going to get great sound quality out of a built in system with no sound deadening and all the engine and road noise.

Unless you go for a big BT speaker, it should be more then doable to make a few semi integrated speaker housings with proper dampening etc.. under the dash. Takes a bit of work mind you, but you can end up with a better looking result then a (semi) loose BT speaker.

I fitted a Quadlock magnetic wireless phone charger to mine, so I can use it for satnav etc.

I appreciate it's a little beyond an OEM look, but I very much dislike big suction cup phone holders mounted on the windscreen.

Since I use similar Quadlock mounts elsewhere, this made it great to hop in and out and chuck my phone up in view. It's the cleanest solution I could come up with. USB cable runs through the ashtray and powered in the luggage compartment.

And if I had a bluetooth speaker tucked away somewhere as mentioned above, it'd be like having a 6" touchscreen headunit up front ;)

Attachments

• phonemount - Copy (2).jpg
    phonemount - Copy (2).jpg
    286 KB · Views: 37
Interesting. Is the charger magnetic on both sides so that it attaches to the ashtray or just magnetic on the phone side to attach to the phone?

I have found a blue bluetooth speaker and am looking for some kind of clip in mount.

It's only magnetic on the phone side, and only compatible with the Quadlock phone case, so won't be for everyone's taste.

I sacrificed a tatty looking ashtray by drilling some holes in it. The phone mount is secured using it's OEM countersunk bolt, with a nut and washer tightened from behind.

I just got the charging head itself without a mount, and bolted it straight to the ashtray. 90 degree USB adapter to tuck it nicely(ish) into the ashtray through a grommet, as seen from the passenger side.

Attachments

• phonemount rear.jpg
    phonemount rear.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 39
  • phonemount side.jpg
    phonemount side.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 37
It's only magnetic on the phone side, and only compatible with the Quadlock phone case, so won't be for everyone's taste.

I sacrificed a tatty looking ashtray by drilling some holes in it. The phone mount is secured using it's OEM countersunk bolt, with a nut and washer tightened from behind.

I just got the charging head itself without a mount, and bolted it straight to the ashtray. 90 degree USB adapter to tuck it nicely(ish) into the ashtray through a grommet, as seen from the passenger side.
Good work!
If anyone has an ashtray they wouldn't mind sacrificing to me, please get in touch.
RDS

Back