Arnold Clark Sighthill Farce

Currently reading:
Arnold Clark Sighthill Farce

Took my car in for its second service. Second service was mentioned to them on the phone, is evident in the service book and would be seen on their computer.
When collecting the car I noticed that they hadn't done the brake fluid. So went back in. "oh it wasn't authorised by the service plan but we'll do it anyway". Odd I though as it is part of the 36k schedule and a safety matter. Waited around while it was done and went home. Looked more closely at the service sheet to find that everything that is specified at 36k wasn't done - I then realised they had messed up and done the 18k service instead!
Went back and spoke to the workshop manager who admitted it was wrong but didn't offer any proper apology and said he would speak to the service plan people. Took till the end of the week to get that sorted and then had to book the car in again to get the rest of the work done. By this point I had also noticed that they hadn't even done all that they said they did. Pollen filter was sooty and they hadn't reset the service counter (you can check the miles to go in the menu).
Service was done correctly the second time round (at least it appears to) but I have now lost confidence in Arnold Clark. Furthermore I have not been offered any kind of compensation - given that I had to go back in twice to get it sorted, so about 3 hours of my time plus extra travelling costs.

To be fair the staff at the desk were very pleasant. Seems ridiculous they the mistake was made and it could certainly have been sorted out much more smoothly.

date of car sale is on front of job card and SIGI (vehicle details) is attached with sale/warranty date....in other words a balls up which appears not uncommon when reading other reviews of arnold clark on not just this forum but many others.
I often say to people to speak to the tech (prefably the Fiat DET) but as far as arnold clark are concerned its not only a priority its a must!

p.s. pollen filter is extra, so is screen wash with a service plan.
p.p.s service plan authority requires a mileage...now there a clue;)

Last edited:
Car parking is obviously much better than Gorgie but the new service centre is sterile. I liked when it was in with the sales area. It gave them more incentive to sort out your problems and potential customers were walking about overhearing your grumbles :cool:

I know AC don't do the pollen filter on the £99/£149 deals for the services but the service plan actually states "to manufacture specification" or similar and doesn't mention any exclusions - hence why it should be done - especially as they ticked it off!

Last edited:
I'd complain to Fiat...not that that'll get you anywhere.
Dad had some warrenty work done with AC, they caused more harm than good to the car. Had to visit the garage 6-7 times before we finally gave up. Contacted Fiat customer services and the problem was sorted 3 days later.

So don't right the complaints department off just yet.

As for AC, they got a garage in the top ten of the golden garages comp so can't ALL be that bad, but the majority seem to get a bad reveiw so I would and WILL avoid them in future.

So don't right the complaints department off just yet.

As for AC, they got a garage in the top ten of the golden garages comp so can't ALL be that bad, but the majority seem to get a bad reveiw so I would and WILL avoid them in future.

Unless you complain constantly you will get nowhere, you only get what you original asked for because you have got on their nerves so much they fix it to get rid of you...ok it works for the individual but overall it gets us nowhere, the motortrade has a reputation it will probably never fully shake off.

North of border you have very little choice with Fiat if you dont like/want to go to AC, and although I will agree things have got slightly better the fact remains AC run the show.

Last edited:
Problem is its either Arnold Clark Sighthill, Arnold Clark Broxburn or WB Cowan Elphingston round these parts. Haven't tried Cowans before as they are kind of in an out of the way place with nowhere to go while they work on your car. Also being a small dealership they don't have the economies of scale AC have. On the other had a wee garage can prove to be a winner on customer service - something I don't mind paying a little extra for.

Not going to be taking this further with Fiat as I don't want to **** off AC too much given that I may need warrant work done and I still have another service to go. Besides its not really the problem with the front end staff or mechanics in the dealership - its the whole way AC is run. Sales over Service.

Last edited:
I have read the posts, and we would like to help. Please contact us with any complaints on [email protected] - we would be happy to help wherever possible!

regards

Alasdair
Customer Services Manager

LOL, it looks like they have their work cut out there.

I dont think anything i have read is Restricted to AC or even Fiat. Considering that a car is the Second most Expensive commodity any of us will ever own then Customer Service across the Board is pretty dismal.

My Dad has similar problems with BMW. Again Customer Service are very nice and friendly, but friendly doesnt fix a car. They had the car for a month over christmas. That doesnt include them pretending that the car was fixed and sending it out exactly how it was in the first place.

I know what you mean about Fiat HQ though T. They are a bit of a Joke. I had dealings with them twice. Once was a good experience but i dont think they actually did anything.
The second was like talking to a brick wall. Infact at least a brick wall stops you dead. Fiat keep you going around in circles. It didnt help that the Dealership lied through their back teeth.

I know what you mean about Fiat HQ though T. They are a bit of a Joke. I had dealings with them twice. Once was a good experience but i dont think they actually did anything.
The second was like talking to a brick wall. Infact at least a brick wall stops you dead. Fiat keep you going around in circles. It didnt help that the Dealership lied through their back teeth.

I ment complain to Fiat about arnold clark (post #5), as for individual cases then like any customer complaints department I 'assume' its kinda hit and miss?

That arnold clark sucks site has 100 pages of complaints but they are old (3-5 years ago) however it says on page 1 that arnold clark managed to shut the site down but its been hosted on other servers....thought internet was free speech?

Last edited:
Made me Smile

"THE REAL RIP OFF"
SENT TO ME BY AN ARNOLD CLARK MECHANIC !!
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lets have a closer look @ Arnolds 41 point £69 Service !!![/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please scroll down to see what you could really get for 69 quid . !!![/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Renew Engine Oil==== cheapest of the cheap engine oil ( probably reclaimed or recycled oil) did you think you were getting Duckhams or GTX ?[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Renew Oil Filter====£2.50 for an oil filter if you shop around.[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Renew Spark Plugs if applicable====in other words you will probably fall into the "not applicable category" because to replace would cost Arnold money.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Renew Air Filter====a very cheap air filter could be stuffed into your cars intake.[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Add Screen Wash Additive====weakest of the weak solution for screen wash, you could do that yourself.[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Ignition Timing if applicable====Most modern cars never need timing adjusted, its all done through the CPU ( central processing unit) but Arnold wont tell you that. nor will he tell you that you don't need it on a diesel vehicle, but he will charge you.[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Mixture if necessary====Again normally done through the CPU if petrol . still chargeable on Diesels but it probably wont get done.[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Advise if Timing belt due replacement====A quick look at the speedo will do that, you could do that yourself.[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Gear Oil Level====could be a squirt of oil on the plug. so it looks like it has been off.[/FONT]
  10. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Diesel Water Tap & Drain====only for diesels but on the list to make up the numbers.[/FONT]
  11. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Visible Coolant Hoses====A quick look under the bonnet.[/FONT]
  12. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Coolant Levels====another quick look while we have the bonnet up.[/FONT]
  13. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Anti-Freeze Content====Is it green ? or blue ? you can buy this stuff at Tesco for a fraction of the price.[/FONT]
  14. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Heater Operation====Didn't you do that this morning ? again, another item placed in the list to make up the numbers.[/FONT]
  15. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Visible Drive Belts====in other words a quick look at what they can see. with the bonnet up.[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Exhaust Condition & Security====OK its now up on the ramp I'll give it a quick shake.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Brake Linings for Wear & Tear====No chance the wheels are coming off. Can 17 and 18 be done at the same time ?[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Brake Discs for Wear & Tear====Can be seen from "up on the ramp" easy.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Brake Wheel Cylinders====looking for leaks, a walk from back to front while raised will suffice.[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Brake Pipes & Hoses====Do I have to look again ?[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Adjust Handbrake if necessary====Probably not necessary, unless you are sold brake shoes, handbrake cable or something else that is chargeable.[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Clutch Fluid Level & Top Up====back up to the bonnet area. this was probably done earlier with the screen wash and water check, but you still get charged even if you have a cable clutch.[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Brake Fluid Level & Top Up====Again done earlier. when bonnet was up ( probably)[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Power Steering Fluid Level====Again as above. (Probably) but you still pay even if your car has no power steering.[/FONT]
  10. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Adjust Clutch if necessary====Most clutches are self adjusting, didn't Arnold tell you that ??? Oh dear.[/FONT]
  11. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Suspension Safety Check====Ah, done when the car was raised, but itemized further down the list. possibly to confuse you with mechanical terms you are unfamiliar with.[/FONT]
  12. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Steering Safety Check====How about a quick wiggle of the steering ?[/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Tyres for Wear & Damage====Its now time to walk around the vehicle.[/FONT]
  2. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Tyres Pressure====Look to see if they are flat[/FONT]
  3. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Battery Levels====I did that while the bonnet was up. but again I left it to now to tell you. you might have a sealed battery but Arnold will still charge you.[/FONT]
  4. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Lights Illuminate====I'm still walking around that car at this point. but you pay plenty.[/FONT]
  5. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Lamp Lenses for Damage====Eh ?? another scam. first he checks the lights, then back again to see if there is damage . RIP OFF ALERT[/FONT]
  6. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Horn Operation====probably done that when driving past reception. RIP OFF ALERT..[/FONT]
  7. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Instruments Operation====This can be done when Mechanic takes car for 100 MPH burn up down nearest Motorway. in other words you are getting charged for someone to look at your dashboard.[/FONT]
  8. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check for Visual Signs of Overheating====Once again 100 MPH should do the trick. now you get charged for someone to look for steam.[/FONT]
  9. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Wipers Operation & Condition====done this when I put water in washer bottle. but will charge you 3 times for it .[/FONT]
  10. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Washers Operation :: see 36.[/FONT]
  11. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Check Condition of Mirrors====Must assume that you don't use your mirrors for this one.[/FONT]
  12. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Lubricate Door Hinges & Locks====Quick squirt of WD 40 to make it look like some work was actually done on the car.[/FONT]
  13. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Wash Car====Get the underpaid Valeter to run it through the car wash.[/FONT]
  14. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Road Test & Report==== After the "burn up" Send the "tick" sheet to reception so they can print out a nice big bill for you.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Congratulations, you have just been Fleeced,[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Caution : Arnold Clark uses words and phrases like " if applicable" and "if necessary" when referring to replacing parts & checks etc . My experience is that these words and phrases could really mean " If he has no other option" or " if charging you is not possible . It is also possible you will get charged for things that do not apply to your car ( see item 7,10,17,18,19,24,30) In my opinion its all just one big rip off.[/FONT]
BEEN RIPPED OFF? ADD YOUR STORY TO THE HALL OF SHAME HERE ;;
The above information is provided for convenience as part of the service we offer at this website. However, the webmaster cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Visitors who rely on this information do so at their own risk.
HOME PAGEREAD MORE E-MAILSSo what did you get for your money ? OK you got some oil, probably an oil filter and an air filter. Bulk purchased for about a fiver. You got a Mechanic or Technician @ £7 per hour to look under your car, then lift the bonnet and then take it for a spin. top up a bottle or a reservoir, kick the tyres and give your car a quick look over. all in all the Mechanic or Technician could have the car in and out of the garage in just over 15 minutes. What did Arnold get ? A chance to find something on your car that he could charge you for. Plus of course your 69 quid. RIP OFF ALERT @ ARNOLD CLARK AUTOMOBILES.................

Its the same as any / most large Chain dealers MEP Take this (i got in letter form from Stoneacre)

only £69.95
1. Note any body damage
2. Fit car protection kit
3. Check operation of lights
4. Check washers and wipers
5. Change engine oil
6. Fit new sump plug washer
7. Fit new engine oil filter
8. Check exhaust system condition
9. Check brake pipes and lines visually
10. Remove all wheels and check
11. Check front brake pads visually
12. Check rear brake pads/shoes
13. Inspect tyres and set pressures
14. Report on tyre tread depths
15. Pressure check cooling system
16. Check cooling system for leaks
17. Check antifreeze content
18. Check all drive belts (not cambelt)
19. Check all fluid levels
20. Add screenwash and top up fluid
21. Check and adjust clutch cable freeplay
22. Check battery condition
23. Road test* to check the operation of:
24. Brakes
25.Steering
26. Suspension
27. Engine and gearbox
28. Heating system
29. Check for abnormal noises

only £119.95
1. Note any body damage
5. Change engine oil
24. Brakes
25.Steering
26. Suspension
27. Engine and gearbox
28. Heating system
30. Check suspension dampers
31. Check handbrake operation
32. Check cambelt (if fitted)
33. Advise on cambelt change date
34. Check spark plugs
35. Fit new air filter
36. Check and adjust idle speed

only £199.95
1. Note any body damage
5. Change engine oil
24. Brakes
25.Steering
26. Suspension
27. Engine and gearbox
28. Heating system
30. Check suspension dampers
31. Check handbrake operation
32. Check cambelt (if fitted)
33. Advise on cambelt change date
34. Fit new spark plugs
35. Fit new air filter
36. Check and adjust idle speed
37. Fit new fuel filter
38. Check PCV system
39. Check and adjust ignition timing
40. Check and adjust emissions

http://stoneacre.co.uk/StoneacreServicesAllMakesandModelsFactoryTrainedTechnicians.htm

Problem is it Boils down to people knowing sweet FA about their cars and garages are only too keen to take advantage of the situation Fools and money are easily parted....

Last edited:
Made me Smile

How can I put this...my car had a 118 or something similar point check before I got it and yet all four tyres were different pressures + or - 9 psi when I picked it up.

I had a list of everything that was meant to be checked yet somehow half of it was knackered within 6 months....hmmm

This was carcraft (never ever use them I had to as the nearest car in my spec not with them was 200 miles and my punt needed an engine) I will point out not AC but from my Dads experience AC are no better...they wanted 500 quid for discs and pads and a service on a focus FFS. Most big franchises seem to operate on the same principle, i.e. f*** the individual we've got enough fleet/other business to keep going.

Last edited:
How can I put this...my car had a 118 or something similar point check before I got it and yet all four tyres were different pressures + or - 9 psi when I picked it up. This was carcraft (never ever use them I had to as the nearest car in my spec not with them was 200 miles and my punt needed an engine) I will point out not AC but from my Dads experience AC are no better...they wanted 500 quid for discs and pads and a service on a focus FFS. Most big franchises seem to operate on the same principle, i.e. f*** the individual we've got enough fleet/other business to keep going.

32, 118 or 1000 point check...it means nothing!

What you want is an experienced tech casting a knowledgable eye over a model he/she is familiar with (why do folk buy fiats from ford garages etc?) without the pressure of time constraints or cost cutting. If you have this you will be getting a good car but sadly until then you get a 30-45 minutes quick check (half this time will be paperwork, at stores and finding car in the lot etc) or in other words its down to luck.

Arnold clark are sales based, selling cars is their aim not servicing/repairing them. I would get an independent (AA/RAC) check on anything secondhand brought from them or talk to the tech who worked on the car as he has no financial interest in the car thus will be honest.

Back