Technical Are 500L nudge bars supposed to touch the bumpers?

Currently reading:
Technical Are 500L nudge bars supposed to touch the bumpers?

Noah500

1971 Fiat 500L LHD
As Subject - I noticed that the rear nudge bars on my 1971 500L are just touching the bumpers at the corners, same on each side. By pulling them slightly I can see that they are not actually joined/welded but I can't tell if they are really supposed to be like that or if it is because they have actually been 'nudged' over the 50 years since Noah was born ;)

I've tried looking at manuals and various pics but it is not conclusive. Logic says that, if they are supposed to protect the bumpers, they shouldn't be touching them but pulling with as much force as I can manage doesn't move them permanently.

Info and ideas, please, guys and girls :)

Attachments

• 2022-01-21 14 Fiat 500.jpg
    2022-01-21 14 Fiat 500.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63
Hi
Just had a look at Luigi and our bars have clearance between them and the bumper, although one side is slightly closer than the other.
My OCD is saying that the nudge bar curve should follow the curve of the bumper!
Should be quite straight forward to put right, suggest unbolting the end at the rear of the wheel and gently pulling the bar to the position required, then removing completely and bending the end so it will allow the bolt to fit back in the bodywork at the rear of the wheel.
Take things very easy as the tube could kink, especially if it as a bit thin having been corroded from the inside.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 613C8B2C-C459-41E0-A4F2-8DE6F31B0BA2.jpeg
    613C8B2C-C459-41E0-A4F2-8DE6F31B0BA2.jpeg
    596.5 KB · Views: 23
B∘ll∘cks :mad:

RH corner: undid the wheel arch end, pulled back gently-ish and then snap! it cracked around the bumper hole, so it was probably already weakened...

With the other one I took a different approach: removed it completely, put screws through the lower fixing holes into my garage workbench to mark the position and tried to squeeze the bend in a vice lined with ali. Refitted and the result was... no difference.

I've order a replacement RH bar. I'll see how that fits; if it is per OCD requirements, I may then order a LH one to match (the current LH one has a bit of a dent in it anyway)

B∘ll∘cks :mad:

RH corner: undid the wheel arch end, pulled back gently-ish and then snap! it cracked around the bumper hole, so it was probably already weakened...

With the other one I took a different approach: removed it completely, put screws through the lower fixing holes into my garage workbench to mark the position and tried to squeeze the bend in a vice lined with ali. Refitted and the result was... no difference.

I've order a replacement RH bar. I'll see how that fits; if it is per OCD requirements, I may then order a LH one to match (the current LH one has a bit of a dent in it anyway)
Ouch!
Apologies, didn’t anticipate that happening! 😢

Back