Technical ARB Questions

Currently reading:
Technical ARB Questions

magijamarko

Hi..

Have been reading up and down the forum..and have not found an answer to this questions..

#1 I'm about to do the front wishbones... And as im at it, am gona change the bushes on the ARB. Everything is quite clear..i just dont know..IS it necesary to change the INNER bushes (the ones under the car,not the ones at the wheel)..
If yes (i know, i should,as im at it..:) ) how do you get them down?? How do you fit new ones..Am terrified of breaking bolts and stuf...:( Would only changing the outside ones, have an efect??

#2 Is there any way of fiting a ARB in the back? If yes-would you recomend it, and is it a lot of work to get everything together? Is it practical (the car is used daily..im just fealing like doing it..:)) Or would this setup destroy the oweral balance of the car?

Thanx for any help

Marko from Slovenija:)

A rear anti roll bar will upset the handling unless you change the front one for something beefier.

The inner bushes can be changed quite easily, just feel the bolts as you undo and stop if things don't feel right.

Cheers

SPD

Well, a rear arb will certainly change the handling -- it'll make it less inclined to understeer. Ideally you need adjustable arbs front and rear -- blade type -- so you can get it how you like it. Those cunning folk at Alfaholics have been doing adjustable front ARBs for the Cinq's big sisters.

It's a fair bit of engineering, though!

For the bushes, lots and lots of real penetrating oil on the nuts and bolts a day or more before: they seize, and will snap if you're not very careful.

Last edited:
Hi...

Thanx for the answers...so no rear ARB then..was thinking something from an Uno Turbo or Punto should fit right away..but as it seams to be more complicated, i dont think it's worth it..for a track car..ok..for the normal road..not..:)

Hm..stil dont know how the inner bushes are changed..the outer ones just slide onto the ARB..is it the same with the inner ones..?Or are they 2 part items,that come together somehow...?

As for the bolts...The car was made in 1995..and nothing was done down there..I changed the shocks, but nothing further..so..im geting more scared by the minute :( Am planing on doing back as well..some time this year.. If my girlfriends dad is up for it (y):D

Thanx
Marko

Take dad for a pint, ignore changing inners.

Noel

If done right, a rear ARB would improve the handling.
Get rid of some (most) of the crippling understeer (yeah I know I should take my corners slower:D)
Adjustability can be done by drilling holes along the arm so you can change the 'lever effect'
get something smaller that the front one, find a corner with some runoff, get testing and let us know(y)

Back