Anyone own a chinchilla?

Currently reading:
Anyone own a chinchilla?

I'm considering a new pet now I no longer have fluffy. I was looking at chinchilla's and they do look cute little things! However I have heard they are noisy at night (would be in my bedroom) and they need a fairly large cage (I only have limited space)
Anyway who has these exotic rodents?

I've looked after them at college, they have a pretty tricky diet as they cant digest sugars, essentially they're diabetic, although they do need fruit in their diet, they can only have it in small amounts, the rest of the diet should be high in fibre, stuff like wheatabix, and bran flakes in addition to a commercial bought chinchilla mix.
As for noisyness, yep, very, being rodents they need to constantly chew to keep their molars down, and they also tend to 'bounce' around the cage.
As for cage size, the bigger the better, they can get pretty huge and need lots of space to manover in.
All in all they are very cool, but personally I wouldnt consider getting one unless I had room for a yooooooouge cage with lots of climbing branches and sleeping boxes.
They also need a sand bath daily to keep their fur healthy

Hope that helps

ok, I want them all!! how adorable. Im like a lil kid when it comes to any .. was gonna say rodent, but i suppose any animal. I want!!!! ** STAMPS FEETS** lol

How about dropping them off at my house instead.. hehe, you can own them(ie pay for them ;) )... but they live with me. Sounds like a bloody plan to me....

it depends if you could put up with 20 cats, 2 dogs, a tortoise, roberovski hamster, fish and rabbit?

20 is loads, it wasnt planned to have so many, but too attached to rehome them. on a daily basis i go through 6 cans of whiskas, 3 tins of tuna, 1 tin of salmon and one roast chicken. in addition they usually have some roast beef or lamb thats been cooked for the dogs.
yes, I do know i'm strange

How could anyone not like fluffy, tis(or should that be twas?) a cool spid, a chilian rose?
and ex of mine had a iguana called fluffy, I used to have one called wittgenstein, she died when she was really young though, would love another but im lacking in space... and got enough animals

Magical Trevor said:
it depends if you could put up with 20 cats, 2 dogs, a tortoise, roberovski hamster, fish and rabbit?

Bloody hell! and i thought we were over doing it but we cant compete with your crew trev!!:slayer:
I currently have residing at my dwelling,- 1 black labrador, 4 cats, 1 budgie(he invited himself !) 40+ koi carp, 20+ assorted fish, 1 frequenting fox there was also 2 guinee pigs but they passed away in th last 6 months !!:cry:
How the hell do you get to have 20 cats tho? Bet your neighbours love you........not !!:shakehead

pinin__prestatyn said:
You said it cat woman :p

I do miss my puddys, rory and Sooty. One got cat aids (!) and the other was just plain old. I'm not allowed pets now mummy said no so I have to sneak my pets upstairs and face the music.
Mother was "not amused" when I brought fluffy home...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/pinin__prestatyn/Fluffy.jpg

Here's tinkerbell

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/pinin__prestatyn/PICT0145.jpg

And there was me thinking "Fluffy" was a dog or cat or something :eek:

Magical Trevor said:
20 is loads, it wasnt planned to have so many, but too attached to rehome them. on a daily basis i go through 6 cans of whiskas, 3 tins of tuna, 1 tin of salmon and one roast chicken. in addition they usually have some roast beef or lamb thats been cooked for the dogs.
yes, I do know i'm strange

If they are all given a loving and caring home, then that is all that matters :) Good on your for caring about animals (y)

pinin__prestatyn, if you fancy a rodent, I can suggest one that is regarded as one of the best rodents for pets.

A RAT! Yes, a pet rat. The laboratory sort, not wild disease carriers!

I had one a few years ago and they make fantastic pets. They are very clean, don't smell (unlike mice!), very intelligent, friendly and easy to keep. Handle them early in life and they will be happy to go everywhere with you. They also live for about three years or so, so you can enjoy being with them.

Mine used to live in my bedroom, though most of the time she had the run of the room. She used to love getting under the covers of my bed, but I stopped that when she chewed through the duvet :eek: She also used to be best friends with our old Labrador (RIP Suzie). Suzie would let her ride on her back round the house!

Sadly Honda (as I named her - motorbike fixation at the time!) passed away late 1994 from old age :cry: Suzie followed on Xmas day 1994 :cry: :cry: :cry:

But then we got Scampi the Jack Russell in January 1995, and as much as I like rats there was no getting away from the fact that Jack Russells are inbred to be 'ratters'! Most terriers are, so it wasn't safe to have a Jack Russell and a rat share a house.

But if I could, I would have another rat any day (y)

Last edited:
Back