Anyone own a chinchilla?

Currently reading:
Anyone own a chinchilla?

pinin__prestatyn said:
Mother was "not amused" when I brought fluffy home...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v407/pinin__prestatyn/Fluffy.jpg

Fluffy is so cool! Red Knee Tarrantula? What do you feed her/ him on?

I remember being in Chichen Itza in Mexico a few years back, driving back through the jungle back to Cancun when there was a tropical downpour. Then it cleared up, and the sides of the road were full of black tarrantulas that had come out of the undergrowth to dry off :eek: Suffice to say, I didn't stop the car when I needed to pee at the side of the road. There were literally thousands of them for miles...:D

Sorry, but I can't stand rats. I know they are a rodent like the Chinchilla, but I can't stand the long tails and stuff. I used to shoot them in the back garden a few years ago, filthy disease carrying vermin.

"Fluffy" was a columbian Metallic pink-toe, or white-toe depending on where you go. He was a pleasure to own, cleaned out his room, made no noise, looked after himself and cost peanuts. He would eat pretty much anything you launched in there, but only if he was hungry. He could wait up to two months before his next meal, and they can survive 7 months+ without a feed :eek:
His favourite was black crickets, but he liked grasshoppers, locusts, meal worm, You could even warm up a pinky mouse in some hot water, attach a string and move it along convincingly and he would sometimes go for that.
I gave him to a friend as I was a little afraid of him, and I believe you shouldn't be afraid of your pets.

I talked myself out of a chinchilla owing to noise and space constraints, then I got offered william, and help me god I think I'm going for it :rolleyes:
He's two and was beaten up badly by his girl chinchilla! and prefers human company.

Here he is:

Attachments

• william1.JPG
    william1.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 19
20 of a given animal isn't necessarily overkill. 220 however...........................;)

Depends what it's 220 of.... in an ant farm that would be a bit lame :rolleyes:

hmallett said:
Horses? :confused:
H

Actually I knew of someone who had well over 100 ponies. The number might have actually been closer to 200.......... I used to have about 60 - 70 cage birds max and I thought that was plenty, until I visited this other guy who had approximately 200 - 250 birds :eek:

pinin__prestatyn said:
Sorry, but I can't stand rats. I know they are a rodent like the Chinchilla, but I can't stand the long tails and stuff. I used to shoot them in the back garden a few years ago, filthy disease carrying vermin.

:( :( :(

Everyone who hasn't had a rat says the same thing about the tails. My mum freaked when I brought Honda the rat home. I gently introduced my mum to her, and she then thought she was sweet apart from the tail. Next thing I knew I couldn't keep my mum away from her! She was always coming into my room to give her treats :rolleyes:

Don't forget that a domestic rat is a very different animal to a wild rat. It's a bit like comparing a wolf with an Alsatian. Same ancestors, but very different animals. Domestic rats are very clean and don't carry disease. Wild rats are, as you correctly said, disease ridden vermin.

I'd have a rat like no tomorrow, but not while we have a Jack Russell!

But if you can't get past the tail then you won't get on with them :(

I still love the name 'Fluffy' for a Tarantula! They are quite interesting pets, though I'm not sure I'd have one :eek: Do they bite or sting? Don't they have jaws (pincers?) for eating their prey?

Mind you, they're probably great for clearing out a party when the guests won't leave. "Who wants to see my pet spider?" (room clears out instantly!)

Had a similar effect in my biology class when the tutor brought some of his pet snakes in. They were only small (garter snakes I think), but most of the class were pinned against the back wall as far away as possible. Me, I went over and held one of the snakes and let it slither over my arms :D Cool! :cool:

William looks great! So are you definitely having him? And are you prepared for sleepless nights while William does the Chinchilla nocturnal stuff?!! :p

Snakes are fantastic, if I could afford to keep one and had the room, I'd get one in an instant, same with lizards. love 'em :D

Put me in the same room as a big hairy spider and i'd hide though :( can't stand spiders, they creep me out :cry:

1986Uno45S said:
:( :( :(

Everyone who hasn't had a rat says the same thing about the tails. My mum freaked when I brought Honda the rat home. I gently introduced my mum to her, and she then thought she was sweet apart from the tail. Next thing I knew I couldn't keep my mum away from her! She was always coming into my room to give her treats :rolleyes:

Don't forget that a domestic rat is a very different animal to a wild rat. It's a bit like comparing a wolf with an Alsatian. Same ancestors, but very different animals. Domestic rats are very clean and don't carry disease. Wild rats are, as you correctly said, disease ridden vermin.

I'd have a rat like no tomorrow, but not while we have a Jack Russell!

But if you can't get past the tail then you won't get on with them :(

I still love the name 'Fluffy' for a Tarantula! They are quite interesting pets, though I'm not sure I'd have one :eek: Do they bite or sting? Don't they have jaws (pincers?) for eating their prey?

Mind you, they're probably great for clearing out a party when the guests won't leave. "Who wants to see my pet spider?" (room clears out instantly!)

Had a similar effect in my biology class when the tutor brought some of his pet snakes in. They were only small (garter snakes I think), but most of the class were pinned against the back wall as far away as possible. Me, I went over and held one of the snakes and let it slither over my arms :D Cool! :cool:

William looks great! So are you definitely having him? And are you prepared for sleepless nights while William does the Chinchilla nocturnal stuff?!! :p

Yeah you're right about wild rats being different to the pet type, but still, no ta! I've cleared a space for William, Just in case... it's a squeeze, but his cage will just fit in on the two shelfs I have.
I'm not looking forward to what he gets up to at night time though :eek: I have earplugs but I have a feeling he will make a right racket anyway. Well only one way to find out! I'll just slip the little fecker valium in his supper ;)

Awww that is so adorable... But got 3 dogs so small rodent type things are probably not a good idea (n)

Awe they are just the cutest things in the world.

When my hamster died a few years back I did a lot of research into getting a chinchilla but then realised that I should really have a pair and that the area I would need to keep them in would be too big for my bedroom and the cages available locally were far too small so I'd have to build my own one and that they could live up to 15 years etc. I just thought it wouldn't be fair for me to have some. and then I got a cat so that put the stoppers on any more thoughts of chinchilla ownership.

I'd still love t have a couple - mayb when I move out of my parents!

Isn't it awful when u put Chinchilla into Google and it brings up a pic of a woman wearing their pealts (n)

Congrats on lil Willie he's a real cutie

Back