Tuning anyone know if this is possible

Currently reading:
Tuning anyone know if this is possible

did a quick forum search about coilovers but most were old threads?? anyway i done some research of actual lowering springs and cant seem to find any 60mm springs for a sporting only a standard sei?? is this right?? also apparantly the sporting model is allready lowered 20mm or something, so technically im onlly really gonna go -30mm from my standard height now (with 50mm springs?) so i was looking at something like these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COILOVER-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item5d2fb89780

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-SEIC...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2eb69bf102

anyone know if these would fit SPORTING models? cheers

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Both of those kits are rip offs. They will only have a max of 40mm rear drop and 70mm on 13 inch wheels isn't exactly low either (have around 30-40mm of tyre and arch clearance on 13's)(n).

I have a friend that could possibly make you a set of coilovers, but you would need to supply him a set of brand new shocks.

This is what you would get back:

DSCF01662.JPG

Obviously with this method you would still need to sort out a rear drop but atleast you can get the lows you want on the front and retain adjustability.

Thanks

X

But, posing aside, what's the point of sticking coil overs on a road car? They just make the biggest failure of Mac struts (locking up over bumps) more prevelant, 'cos the springs are not canted to help overcome it. Any decent supplier of coil overs will tell you the same.

And then the adjusters seize up..................:bang:

So what your trying to say is it's pointless putting coilovers onto a road car because A: It's dangerous for yourself and other people on the road B: Stupid. C: Very unreliable if not maintained to a substancial standard.

If i'm way off please correct me.

Thanks

X

Done properly it's not dangerous. Whether it's stupid depends pretty much on what you have in mind, for example, if you have a trackday car and want to use it on the road every so often, it's pretty much unavoidable.

But many people think that coil overs are some magical go faster solution when, in practical terms, they'll perform worse than any decent lowering kit on the public highway.

Of course, on top of all that you have the Cento problem that you can't fit coil overs to the rear without substantial fabrication, so you can't use them to adjust ride height at the rear.

And then, no-one corner weights their road car (and being able to do that is one of the principle advantages of coil overs).

So, you have a system that takes a lot of work to get it to work (or even fit), will never respond to bumps (which is what a suspension is supposed to do!) as well as a plain old Mac Strut, generally put on by people who have never read a book on suspension, and -- in the case of the cheap ones -- is unlikely to have either been properly developed or built using quality components, all bolted to something weighing as much as a 15" artillery shell, possibly driven by an 18 year old with over-active hormones.

I think that would worry most people. ;)

If that is the case then every coilover kit that is put out is dangerous :confused:.

Every car is different no matter how robotised the productionline is, so that would mean every car would require it's own custom made coilover kit and is properly balanced for that persons car (correct?).

Mine was made specifically but I have since made alterations that would effect the balance and meaning very dangerous. In other words time to remove before I harm some poor person (again correct?)

Thanks

X

ok there is so much to take in, the reason i want mega lows is for show (not for track or racing) i think ive gathered that if i go lower than about 40mm i need shorter and stiffer shocks/dampers?? i did stumble across this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPAX-PSX-...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb934e8ce

it looks like the full kit with shorter dampers. btw im running on cinquecento sporting alloys. i jus wanna go as low as possible but obviously keeping safe too.
i really apprecaiate everybodies help

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Stop putting up strawmen.

A decent set of coil overs will cost you a grand or so. You'll be able to adjust height, bump and rebound independently. You'll be able to get the units rebuilt and even re-valved. This won't be the case with the bottom end stuff.

But, it's only worth buying the good stuff if you fancy track days (in which case the argument can be made that a standard car might be more fun!) or serious competition. In which case you'll spend a lot of time (and money) optimising things.

Otherwise, why bother?

Scaring yourself out of ideas.

If you want coilovers then you can have your own custom made set from GAZ made. They are basic versions but their costs are quite reasonable.

I have a fully adjustable set on my sei from there which include rebound adjustments etc but that one is costly.

Rear adjustable is possible on these cars without too much faffing around. The bumpstop needs to be replaced with something alot smaller, then you can fit adjustable rear perches and a decent set of rear springs.

Thanks

X

It means, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man"]Straw man - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame].

To the OP, I've used the Spax set for Cinqs, and it's OK, but overly harsh for road use. People who've used the Sei kit say it's excellent. At that kind of budget, it's probably the best out there.

From there you can go on to bigger wheels, better brakes and tyres (etc.)

Until recently, when coil overs became fashionable with the Fat Car crew, yes.

Strangely, one of the main distributors for coil overs, GAZ, Tein, Bilstein and the rest, pointed out their shortcomings in PPC some time ago.

At that kind of budget, it's the only sensible option for a road car. And, my guess, with those Spaxs fitted you'll have a big edge on anyone who has just chucked on a cheap set of coilovers. You'll keep your fillings in place, too.

ok cool ill probs go with the spax adjustable kit as its a full kit, also (probs a dumb fcuking question, but when it says 'adjustable' does that mean i can adjust the height yeah?? :confused:)

For the slam look coilover will do the job.

But for performance fingers is right ... if you were to fit coilovers without balancing the coner weight, setting camber, toe, caster then there is actually no point. How i see it is coilovers give you total freedom in geometry setting but if you weren't setting it up then it defeats the purpose.

But But, I would like a set eventually and is a 50/50 spilt between performance and look lol!

Ming

Back