Anyone done IAM?

Currently reading:
Anyone done IAM?

Hi guys,

so i was wondering if anyone has done the IAM Advanced Skill For Life course? I am looking at doing it this year sometime. Parents have offered to pay, it would also help with my insurance costs!

How long did it take you to do? have you benefitted from it?

Did you get the Flexible or Nonflexible package?

I looked at the IAM many years ago and was disappointed by the attitude. They considered that if you pass their test, that makes you an advanced driver for the rest of your life. There were aspects of the training which I was not happy with. Very dogmatic - this is the way its done, any other way is wrong.

I went for the ROSPA scheme instead. What a difference. The test is graded into 3 levels so you know just how well you did. A test pass is only valid for three years after which time you need to re-take it to keep advanced driver status. Training was much more aimed at developing driver skills rather than providing a set pattern to follow.

http://roadar.org/index.htm

My IAM experience was many years ago and they may well have changed, so check up for yourself before deciding which way to go.

Last edited:
I looked at the IAM many years ago and was disappointed by the attitude. They considered that if you pass their test, that makes you an advanced driver for the rest of your life. There were aspects of the training which I was not happy with. Very dogmatic - this is the way its done, any other way is wrong.

I went for the ROSPA scheme instead. What a difference. The test is graded into 3 levels so you know just how well you did. A test pass is only valid for three years after which time you need to re-take it to keep advanced driver status. Training was much more aimed at developing driver skills rather than providing a set pattern to follow.

http://roadar.org/index.htm
I concur with you on this John. I took the IAM course 30 years ago so it may well have changed I guess! I found the attitude was perfect for the ex-coppers that were running it. It was almost like driving by numbers with no deviation from the system possible. Let me quote an example.
On one of my "lessons" I overtook a car on an open road, perfectly safely, but the natural point at which I needed to change uo from 3rd to 4th was whilst I was still on the "wrong" side of the road. This was a big no-no apparently, as it entailed taking a hand off the wheel, and because there was potential for some kind of car failure being induced by the gear change whilst I was in a hazardous position. Of course me at the time argued that this was nonsense, and surely getting the overtake done quickly , by being in the optimum gear was infinitely preferable to revving the car's nuts off in too low a gear! There were other things as well which hated about their superior attitude. One guy I recall told me to turn back as my clutch was slipping. "How can you tell that from the passenger seat?" said Young Codger. "I can hear it" said Old Bill. "That's not a clutch slipping, that's induction noise from my Twin choke Webers and pancake air filters" said I, and promptly demonstrated by flooring it in second gear. My instructor was surprisingly un-moved, but did concede that my clutch was in fine fettle.
However, and this is very important, I did learn a hell of a lot about having the right "attitude" to driving. About being in command of situations (not bullying, but being decisive and clear about intentions), and about the best lines to drive , hazard awareness and anticipation etc. In fact the pro's outweighed the cons, but I could well understand people being put off by that retired copper smell of aftershave and fags! (Beard please don't knock me off your Christmas card list! You are not an ex-copper!!
So, I would 100% recommend any driver to do any kind of extra course, even if it it signals that you are one of the very few that taking driving really seriously. You will benefit, and it may save your life (or even mine).

I did learn a hell of a lot about having the right "attitude" to driving.
One of the toughest things about an advanced course is finding just how much room there is for improvement. With attitude adjustment being (usually) the first thing that needs to happen.

Back