General Anti roll bars - Mass order

Currently reading:
General Anti roll bars - Mass order

TBH, smacking any part of the suspension isn't good (n)

Hang on...just to clear this up, you are selling strut braces and not ARBs yes?

An ARB reduces body roll by flexing as it links two moving suspension parts.

A strut brace is exactly what the name implies, it rigidly braces the struts by linking them together, reducing the amount they can flex in their housings. This is not body roll, but if this can be reduced, it will improve the car's handling and make it generally stiffer.

If you did develop an uprated ARB, then Id have kittens :p...Im not trying to get at you, cos I think that looks great and may well consider putting in for one (only probllem is my induction system path), but I think that labelling it as an ARB when it isnt is a tad confusing!

@ Arc, see other thread for ARB issues/info.

No offence Joe but I think copying the ARB would require and actual one to copy from as the bends from memory are quite complex plus I'm sure the angles have been specially picked to aid handling etc, no easy feat I reckon but if your up for the challenge go for it.

Liam

J333EVO said:
The Eibach anti-roll bar that is currently sitting in Emmas (Foxyemx) garage followed the same route as the standard bar and is notably thicker than the standard item, as the one off my red Cinq is sitting there as a comparison. I'm sure that if you wanted Emma could take a pic of the 2 bars sitting together if you ask her.

Aaron.

Was surprised to find when I went to fit one to a friend's car that Eibach did two different designs of uprated front arb. One follows the standard path, the other goes under the front suspension arms. Took me a little while to figure out why it wouldn't fit!

arseofbox said:
Hang on...just to clear this up, you are selling strut braces and not ARBs yes?

An ARB reduces body roll by flexing as it links two moving suspension parts.

A strut brace is exactly what the name implies, it rigidly braces the struts by linking them together, reducing the amount they can flex in their housings. This is not body roll, but if this can be reduced, it will improve the car's handling and make it generally stiffer.

If you did develop an uprated ARB, then Id have kittens :p...Im not trying to get at you, cos I think that looks great and may well consider putting in for one (only probllem is my induction system path), but I think that labelling it as an ARB when it isnt is a tad confusing!

Lol! No! I can do strut braces at present, and that one is just a protoype i am running in my punto until i figure out a good adjustable system. I posted the pictures up just as an example of what i am capable of at the moment, i have other more complex pictures of other vehicles etc that i have worked on or been asked to modify certain things, an example being custom engine mounts for older car to new engine conversions, but wanted to keep it fiat :p

The reason for the thread is to identify if there is a want for Uprated ARB's basically, as somebody informed me they had stopped production and wanted to see if i could be of some help. That is why i need pictures and desgin idea etc.

bloomfieldliam said:
@ Arc, see other thread for ARB issues/info.

No offence Joe but I think copying the ARB would require and actual one to copy from as the bends from memory are quite complex plus I'm sure the angles have been specially picked to aid handling etc, no easy feat I reckon but if your up for the challenge go for it.

Liam

Erm, if this was for me im not called joe! Its jordan! I am friends with joe who used to do the bodywork for alot of the cinqs etc on here, but he's a corsa van owner now :yuck: and i also offer custom bodywork too. I am not intending to 'copy' the ARB,as this would not 'uprate' the suspension over what has came with some cars as standard. I am needing input of forum members who know what their uprated ones are like and pictures etc, so that we can work together and find a way of producing a prototype for one (y)

jamie86 said:
That James's old car right :confused:

Yeah Silver Sei's or James's who now drives a CTR, I couldn't find what I believe to be the first ever rear strut brace for a UK Cinq.

@ Jordan, sorry about the name mixup, I thought you and Joe were the same dude.

Liam

Seam weld it, and fit a cage, thats the best way of stiffening a bodyshell, some of these are placebo's. With shock absorbers not mounting there I cant see it would help, just looks i think.

This much is true, but many people cannot afford to seam weld their cars are this requires a respray, but then again it raises the question why would you need that stiff a bodyshell if you cannot afford the other essentials etc.

The rear brace deos not have to be in the boot, a lower arm brace for the back may help, but again, clearing the petrol tank and the exhaust could raise problems.

There is no need for a rear strut brace at a cento. The rear suspension is trailing arms, and all four connecting joints are on the same line on a very stiff crossrail.

This connection allows only vertical movements to the arms and no torque that could distort the geometry can be applied, as all four points of movement are on the same line. It's not like the front mcpherson where the four joints form a rectangle, which can be distorted when the upper joints alter their distance during hard cornering.

The only way the geometry can change is if the crossrail bents in the middle, which is very difficult to happen, concerning the lightness of cento's rear and even if this happens, i doubt this brace strut connecting the tin arches could be of any help.

So concentrate on the rear ARB, which DOES makes a difference in cars body roll...

jamie86 said:
So someone has done it? :confused:

No the pic of James's was the same as a guy done in his yellow Sei many moons ago on the Cinqs&Seis list. It's essentially the same deal, just remember seeing that pic but couldn't find it when I went digging.

Liam

bloomfieldliam said:
No the pic of James's was the same as a guy done in his yellow Sei many moons ago on the Cinqs&Seis list. It's essentially the same deal, just remember seeing that pic but couldn't find it when I went digging.

Liam

Ah righty..

Might just weld an extra bar on the rollcage :eek:

I made a rear strut brace for my cinq sporting about 5 years ago, it was just a steel pole with a flat plate on either end that bolted to the rear seatbelt and seat bolt holes. I didnt do it for handling just looks. I cant see how it could have made any difference to the stiffness as someone said before all the stiffness at the rear is in the rear crossmember.

The points are valid but removal of the seats would allow for a degree of shell flex and this can be counteracted by using a brace.

How much this flex affects handling is rather hard to measure though.

Liam

Back