Another Newbie!

Currently reading:
Another Newbie!

tjscotland

Afternoon guys, just bought a mk2 punto active sport, it's a bit of a project but I love the little thing!
Hoping to get some ideas/help with what to do with it?
I've got the usual problems, rocker gasket leaks, airbag light etc.
Bought the car for £80 so hoping to keep costs as low as possible!
Any ideas would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hi and welcome to FS.

By ideas/help on what to do with it are you looking for advice as to whether it's worth fixing or guides on how to fix the problems? If it's the former then we'd need more information and if it's the latter then if you haven't already done so have a wee look at the user guides for mk2 puntos on fiatforum. they're fairly comprehensive and easy to follow

£80 is not bad going though

Hey, thanks for the reply. Probably a bit of both to be honest, the rocker gasket keeps leaking even though I've changed it twice and I'm struggling to find a replacement bonnet, I have a huge dent in the front of mine!
I've had it looked over by a mechanic and all it needs to pass an mot are new rear shocks and 4 tyres. It's the engine I'm worried about, I don't want to spend a heap of cash on an £80 car!

Hello and welcome to fs

As Katie has pointed out best looking through fiat forum for super in depth guides. As for the gasket issue I would suggest either buying the gasket from a different supplier or getting the head skimmed and a fresh gasket applied as the head may be warped as for the bonnet fiat spares might be of help they are on eBay if not start phoning scrap yards you might drop lucky.

Welcome to some of the joys of owning older fiat's

lowered-punto said:
Hello and welcome to fs

As Katie has pointed out best looking through fiat forum for super in depth guides. As for the gasket issue I would suggest either buying the gasket from a different supplier or getting the head skimmed and a fresh gasket applied as the head may be warped as for the bonnet fiat spares might be of help they are on eBay if not start phoning scrap yards you might drop lucky.

Welcome to some of the joys of owning older fiat's

Rocker gasket, not head, taking the whole head off for that is a bit... drastic :lol:

I've never had an 8v engine leak from the rocker with my method.

Press a fresh gasket into the rocker cover firmly, thoroughly clean and dry the surface of the head of oil, then put a small blob of silicone sealant at each of the 8 edges (all 4 corners and the 4 edges nearest the cam. Then play join the dots by putting a very thin smear of silicone in between each of the blobs (and i mean very thin, enough so there's no gaps but not enough to squelch when the cover goes back on, basically like a finger smears worth). Then very gently place the rocker cover down and put the bolts in, then slowly tighten each bolt in sequence (nip it down finger tight first), top left, bottom right, top right, bottom left. Torque up in the sequence too (think it's very light, about 10-15nm) then leave it for a while to "cure". Should then be leak free :)

Back