Technical Another EGR valve question

Currently reading:
Technical Another EGR valve question

a_shippen

Sorry to make yet another thread about the EGR valve in the MJET sporting but I could really do with some clarification.

Looking at the previous threads, I think my EGR value needs looking at; the turbo will now not spool until near 2.5K RPM, i've had the engine warning light come on and its running like a 'bag-of-nails', generally speaking.

However what is confusing me is that initially the car wasn't running smoothly (turbo spooling ok) when the engine warning light came on. As soon as this happened the car ran better than it has ever done in the 10 months i've had it.

This was the case for 2-3 weeks until this weekend where I turned the car over in the drive and had absolutely no power; I couldn't even reverse on a fairly flat drive at near full throttle without stalling until i'd run the engine for a good 3-4 minutes to get it warmish. After that the turbo started to refuse to spool until 2.5k RPM and i've tried to give it a run out to get it warm but to no avail.

I know I need to get it booked into the garage to get it seen to but I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions, and indeed confirm that it is the EGR valve, so that I can get a clearer picture as possible before I ring to book an appointment.

Many Thanks.

Looking at past posts I would of said yes this is an EGR issue, the point about it running better than ever... well if your EGR has been slowly dieing since you got it it will tend to run like sh.t, then when its got stuck your ECU may have thought ok, it's stuck closed so just run on the generic 'safe' map. Then if it has somehow come unstuck and got stuck open I would guess it would run like cr.... how you described it ;)
I am no expert though, alls my EGR does is give me slight wiplash at 1950 RPM :eek:

Thanks for the replys, its much appreciated

Thats an interesting point willeywilson, even though I knew the ECU was adaptive, I never formulated a link between the EGR and the current evolution of the map.

Got it in the garage today so hopefully it will run well this evening... hopefully.

Its been a nightmare since I bought it to be honest, the radiator problem from previous posts, i've just found out when taking my car in this morning, apparently was the air con taking out large chunks of the cooling system :eek:.

Its a shame because, when its on song, its a great car to drive.

Just for completeness, Had a call from the Fiat garage and it is indeed the EGR valve at fault; it was stuck shut.

It just means I'm stuck with a 1.2 evo demo car for another day :yuck: ... it couldnt pull the skin off a rice pudding! but at least its a car to get me about

Cheers for all your help.

Alan

Back