General An introduction

Currently reading:
General An introduction

First real post from a lurker. Had my ickle Cinq sporting for a couple of months now. 73K on an N reg, but somewhere over the past two years a new engine has been plonked in it.

Only sorted (or semi sorted) the sound system so far with a nice Kenwood head unit, new front speakers and (I think) GhostWKD's old stealth shelf & infinity 6x9’s. It sounds good, but lacks punch at low volumes, so I might be asking advice on amping of existing 6x9’s or fitting a 10” in the boot.

The only thing I have done is replace the std pirelli bubble tyres with yoko’s and bin those HORRID Nankangs in favour of some yoko’s. If any of you are still using Nankangs thinking “they can’t be as bad as everyone says, I’ll just use them until they’re worn out” trust me, they’re cack. Just driven home from STS and my fresh yoko’s corner better on the cold wet saltly roads then my nankangs EVER did on warm dry roads. Bear in mind that yoko’s are said to be the worst damp tyres out of the bunch…

Nankangs = utter crap. (n)

Everything else is standard, but I’m holding back on springs and an induction kit until it get through the MOT as I’ve just been informed the CAT is on it’s way out. Finding the cause of my dropping water level and murky coolant will also take first place over mods….

Here’s my beast.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 17
Italian Coke Can said:
Only sorted (or semi sorted) the sound system so far with a nice Kenwood head unit, new front speakers and (I think) GhostWKD's old stealth shelf & infinity 6x9’s. It sounds good, but lacks punch at low volumes, so I might be asking advice on amping of existing 6x9’s or fitting a 10” in the boot

Welcome to FF :wave: Even though you joined a couple of months ago :D
Lose the 6x9s and fit a sub (y)

Last edited:
hiya, welcome :)

subs do low bass well. decent comps do mid bass well and decent tweaters do treble well. 6x9s do all of the above ok, but not really very welll.
I have 6x9s and a sub, and am looking to loose the 6x9s in favour of some front mounted comps (somehow!)

TurboCinqy said:
why not just add a sub?? 6x9s add the high notes, and general sound, sub adds the bass!

Craig

And btw Welcome (y) nice choice of colour, and definately nice choice of car!!

And this is why I should do a little article :) I'm repeating myself.....again :D
Slippy - you don't need to read the rest of this post ;)

6x9s do bugger all IMO - especially with a sub. 6x9s and a sub are a total :nono: - both are using the same airspace for bass reproduction. This can cause weird things to happen in terms of the sound waves in your boot. At best, it'll muddle the sound. At worst, it could damage your equipment over time as the cones on your sub, 6x9s or both could be resonating beyond their prescribed limits, which ultimately means premature damage (n)

All you need IMO is:

A sub - that's the bass taken care of :)
set of components up front - that's mid and high end sorted
Suitable amplification (either one or two amps)

Sorted (y)

Last edited:
Back