General Am i covered?

Currently reading:
General Am i covered?

cazz

Bring the noise!
Just bought a new car, but it has no tax on it.
I can't buy tax until my cover note comes through.
Can i drive it without tax in the mean time?

Kurt

If you were stopped i'd be surprised if you could get away with "Well officer, i'm just waiting for my cover note to come through"

You'll probably end up with a producer, so if you do drive make sure the cover note will be coming through within the next 7 days!

Again, the answer is NO i'm afraid. Probability is a police officer would offer tyhe produce documents option, but its not worth the risk. I thought the law now required dealers to tax a car before selling it? Thats what a VW dealer told me.

OP
OP
cazz

cazz

Bring the noise!
Spoke to my insurance people they said they will rush through my cover note so i will get it tomorrow.

Unfortunatly I will still have to get it home today will just have to take a chance.

"please mr officer i'm a good girl really, only written off one car";)

yes they can. they did it with me. they have insurance to cover all their cars, they just take the docs to the PO.

I did that with my first bravo!

PNL

Banned
Some garages will tax a car for you but I have found in general they cant be bothered :( when my wife bought her last car 6 months ago she had to take her insurance docs etc to the dealer and then they did it for her this I must add was not free tax she paid for it :)

brava007

no. The amount of times you hear "I have just bought the car" is unbelievable!! Pleaseplease dont be another one lol

You will only have to wait a couple of days :)

Garages ain't supposed to let you drive the car away unless you've got insurance and Tax, they'll arrange the tax for you, but only once they've got a copy of your cover note!

OP
OP
cazz

cazz

Bring the noise!
Couldn't pick the car up today anyway, will hopefully have the cover note tomorrow and I can get tax asap.

and FYI I'm not buying from a garage. Its all such a pain bloody government making it so hard to drive!

PNL

Banned
cazz said:
Couldn't pick the car up today anyway, will hopefully have the cover note tomorrow and I can get tax asap.

and FYI I'm not buying from a garage. Its all such a pain bloody government making it so hard to drive!

Bloody goverment makes it hard (n) FULL STOP :(

The reason garages won't tax the car as a general rule under their own insurance is because it would add an extra owner to the car's log book.

stilojay

mbarratt2 said:
The reason garages won't tax the car as a general rule under their own insurance is because it would add an extra owner to the car's log book.

Yup, I have a mate who is a mechanic who is a named driver on his works' policy. His boss allowed him to take that in to get tax, as he is named on that policy.

As mbarratt states, it adds another owner to the car when they insure it as it has to be in the same name...

I suffered similarly when purchasing my Stilo, but needed my car for work travel. The post office would not accept a photocopy even though it was insured with them. Oh well eh.