Technical Alternator belt jumped off...

Currently reading:
Technical Alternator belt jumped off...

GrooTheWanderer

Hi folks

My wife was driving the car and she heard a bad noise and lots of racket. The Alternator faulty message appeared and the power steering died. When I looked at it I could clearly see the belt had come off the pulleys but appeared in good shape and intact. I need to know if it is possible to remount the belt and if so if there is a routing diagram somewhere? I have limited tools so could not for instance remove large parts of the engine to do this.

Any and all help greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

i would not put old belt back on...if it has jumped out it must be for a reason???
you need to check and make sure that crank pulley, belt tensioner, idler, alternator and all other pulley are ok...and if so i would still put a new belt on
i have just had to replace belt, crank pulley, tensioner and idler just because cranck pulley was gone and that was £160 on parts alone and my mate is still working on it...

Hi there

Thanks for the heads up. I've went and picked up the belt, just need now to work out how to do it. It is a very tight squeeze from the top and was looking into if it was possible from the side somehow. I am not a mechanic, so it will be slow going no matter how I do it I guess :)

Cheers!

You need a new belt and tensioner - minimum! There may be other issues but belts don't jump off on their own, if you're not happy about DIY then a mobile mechanic should be able to sort this without a large hit to the wallet.

If you put a new belt on with a worn tensioner the new belt may come off and next time you might not be as lucky, it's not worth not doing this properly.

Are there any diagrams that show the layout of the pulleys and tensioner? I agree that doing it right will be the only way to go, so out I go to see if I can get a tensioner :)

Cheers and thanks a million for all the feedback :)

Mostly caused by :

- the the auxiliary belt self adjusting tensioner spring weak worn
- the pulley bearing is is very likely also to be worn

As others have said, re-situating the belt and not checking / replacing the tensioner is likely to be a short term fix only.
- replacement tensioner pulley about £30
- belt about £15

pic 1

2j0xtsi.jpg

pic 2
2i23q60.jpg

Walkthrough here

Hope it helps mate !

Last edited:
Hi all
I'm very sorry to be rude and asking a question without fully researching it, but it is a bit of an emergancy. The exact same thing has happened to me as described above and I need to know if I will be able to drive the 9 miles home without the aux belt. Thanks in advance guys, I'll do the proper introduction when I'm not tearing my hair out

About driving without auxiliary belt. Yes I did it with our old 2000 model JTD. Steering will be very heavy though so you need to be prepared for that. Unless it's night time, the battery should keep enough voltage for the engine electronics to work for some time. But only consider it if you can handle the steering - an agricultural background with pre 1970s tractors without power steering would be a distinct advantage!

Mine did this last night, luckily only a mile from home.
Had just got back from London, Tower Bridge area, so it could have been a bit interesting had it gone sooner.
I hit a huge Puddle at around 40mph a second or so before it happened, coincidence?

Old belt looked fine, but I fitted a new one anyway.
All pulleys are in-line, tensioner is straight, and the spring-loading on it is as-new.

Fingers crossed.

Back