General Alternative rolling road!

Currently reading:
General Alternative rolling road!

Venters

bairns, not bombs.
I've went a booked the car in for a remap with Angel Tuning for Friday, can't afford a rollong road before and after.

So I'm wondering whats the best way to notice a difference in power?

I've been thinking about timing in gears but wasn't sure if that is the best way to do it. E.G 30mph to 60mph in 3rd?

P.S This is gonna be a long week! :D

Well good to hear your getting it done, what kind of difference they claimbing? Need to try a HGT vs the Beast after that!
Conservativley saying 10% 15bhp but with the other bits already done will proberly be abit more.
Didn't push for exact amount as I know it's not really as simple as that.

Got a nice straight, steep, 60mph road with signposts alongside?

does it need to be legally a 60mph? ;)

Hellcat's suggestion is what i've always used for things like this. i even know the road he means, but in that particular example can be a rolling start and your speed at the signs will depend on how you enter and leave the roundabout at the bottom of the hill.

as long as you use the same entry point and speed at the roundabout it will be a fair test, and if you do it enough times you'll get a nice average. if you find most of the results are very similar you know you have a pretty fair and reliable method. (such as coming from h'pool and going straight over roundabout, but stopping at the roundabout each time so the start is always the same, and then killing it across the roundabout and up the hill ;) )

then you can say at a certain landmark (e.g. sign) you could hit 60mph before remap and 65 after.

i use a similar length of road leaving sunderland, its also fairly straight, with a roundabout at bottom if hill, and its uphill, and has signs to use. i always say a 'good' car will hit 90mph by the top sign, a great car will hit 100mph. (my bravo is a 85mph car :() its been the benchmark with people i know for years. its like saying a 10 second car on fast & furious :D

thing is people cheat and dont fully stop at the roundabout, which isnt fair, you need to have a standing start for consistency.

Last edited:
with a roundabout at bottom if hill, and its uphill, and has signs to use. i always say a 'good' car will hit 90mph by the top sign, a great car will hit 100mph. (my bravo is a 85mph car :() its been the benchmark with people i know for years. its like saying a 10 second car on fast & furious :D

thing is people cheat and dont fully stop at the roundabout, which isnt fair, you need to have a standing start for consistency.

Ahh yes the good old race up a hill always a good test for a car!(y)

Hellcat's suggestion is what i've always used for things like this. i even know the road he means, but in that particular example can be a rolling start and your speed at the signs will depend on how you enter and leave the roundabout at the bottom of the hill.

as long as you use the same entry point and speed at the roundabout it will be a fair test, and if you do it enough times you'll get a nice average. if you find most of the results are very similar you know you have a pretty fair and reliable method. (such as coming from h'pool and going straight over roundabout, but stopping at the roundabout each time so the start is always the same, and then killing it across the roundabout and up the hill ;) )

You knows it! (y) I'll have to get a Video of the Marea taking on Hart Bank :idea:

Excuse any ignorance on my behalf, but I presume they will be remapping the car on the road with a laptop and will then be able to give you before and after figures then?

Excuse any ignorance on my behalf, but I presume they will be remapping the car on the road with a laptop and will then be able to give you before and after figures then?

Nope as the ecu doesnt calculate the bhp just runs off the map its given, you measure bhp and torque off either a flywheel or the wheels. And as said car is 154bhp standard, but thats not an exact figure, just like if the say with a new map it will be 168bhp you need to RR it to confirm as every car is slightly different. (y)

Good luck for today Beast :devil:

Ok, understand that, but the mapper is adjusting the generic Fiat Ecu map to better suit the characteristics of an individual engine. In doing that, the software must (surely?) be producing a graph of the engines new output parameters to enable the mapper to iron out any flat spots, etc?

Or is the Ecu remap in question a preprogrammed chip?

No there are 2 different types of remapping:

1) done on a rolling road where you can see the before and after results requiring alot of RR time, and thus cost. And adjust the map to suit.
2)they have a modified map worked out for the car, they simply sit in your drive and flash it to your ecu... job done.

Thanks mountainmachine. I am just having a look at their website now.

How do they ensure that the map is best suited to a particular engine?

when I had my bravo remapped he took the car out with me to do a few G force and acceleration tests before and then after. and took a pic of my car and then made me up a folder with the printouts of the before and after with my car on the front cover. then he made me a cuppa. so you'll get something to show for it chap :)

Dan

Thanks mountainmachine. I am just having a look at their website now.

How do they ensure that the map is best suited to a particular engine?

I would asume that they have worked this map out on a 'test' car on a RR. And although each car is different gains should be expected as each 155 HGT for example will be running the same factory map as standard.

Well the deed has been done!
Paul who is Angels Scotland representative. Is a very nice guy explained everything, and even tho he had a problem with ecu pins or something (software pins :confused: ) which meant he was tied up with my car from 10.30am till 2.30pm always kept a cheery disposition.
As for actual gains well I was advised I may have a problem with my MAF which may be hindering performance.

Alternative rolling road results have proved inconclusive! :confused:

Looks like when funds allow I'm gonna have to get her on a rolling road.

Back