Technical Aircon Gas for Barchetta 1998

Currently reading:
Technical Aircon Gas for Barchetta 1998

yawataboy

Hi, I am about to fill aircon gas on my Barchetta 1998 model. I know about the followings, but having question about where to connect gas hose.

- Fill gas when engine is running.

- Until Green zone in gaze on the hose.

- Connect the gas on LOW pressure connector of aircon.

I could confirm two connectors in my barchetta engine room. One is on right side which is a little big higher place compared to the other one which locates at left side of the engine room(seeing from front side). Anyone know which one is the LOW pressure connector where I should charge the aircon gas. I checked the caps of each connectors, but they are the same, and there is not any marks of LOW or L of Lower pressure.
The plastic cap that I could confirm is black color.

Would be better to get filled professionally. They will vacuum the system which removes any moisture. If vacuum doesn't remain, there is a leak. System is filled with specific quantity of gas and usually a uv dye which helps finding leaks. I am a refrigeration engineer and would not recommend DIY work on aircon system.

Would be better to get filled professionally. They will vacuum the system which removes any moisture. If vacuum doesn't remain, there is a leak. System is filled with specific quantity of gas and usually a uv dye which helps finding leaks. I am a refrigeration engineer and would not recommend DIY work on aircon system.
I agree.

In addition in vehicle rotary pump driven AC systems the refill is not only gas but also a special lubricating oil the keep the pump and "O" ring seals lubricated. Looking at the price of DIY kits, £50 to £70, then most garages will do the jobs for around £60 (old R143a gas).

For later model cars, certainly post 2017, the gas they use is 1234yf which is expensive and required a different machine. These machines are expensive but also computerised. You put the Make/Model info in and the machine determines the correct amount of gas and oil mix required. It the sucks all the existing gas out (any air is separated) and measures the weight of gas removed. The removed gas is not wasted but is topped up to the correct amount with new gas & oil. If no leaks then the system is recharged.

If you use a good garage (I used Small Car Services for my 500X) then they only charge you for the new gas used. Their machine removed 434g of gas and injected the required 450g. So I was only charge for 16 grams of gas and 0.5 hours labour. Gas was £0.12 per gram so £1.92+VAT. Has they charged for 450g then the gas bill would have been £54 +VAT. Add labour + VAT and you can see how expensive the job would have been.

Hi, DIY hose is just $15, and R143 gas is just $4 in my country. $20 by DIY, but if I go to dealers, it cost $130 for refilling gas. This cost difference is large. I have already bought the hose and gas.
So, looking forward to receiving the information about which gas connector is LOW pressure one.

Back