Technical Airbag Failure

Currently reading:
Technical Airbag Failure

samwoodfield

I have recently had an 'airbag failure' message appear on my dash and the airbag light is constantly on. I've taken this to 2 separate garages for a diagnostics check and neither have been able to find any error code.
Has anyone else had this problem and found the solution? If so I would be very appreciative of what you found and how you fixed it.
Sam

I have recently had an 'airbag failure' message appear on my dash and the airbag light is constantly on. I've taken this to 2 separate garages for a diagnostics check and neither have been able to find any error code.
Has anyone else had this problem and found the solution? If so I would be very appreciative of what you found and how you fixed it.
Sam

Welcome to the FF samwoodfield.

Recent thread on here on the same issue...
https://www.fiatforum.com/500/295179-airbag-light-control-unit.html

Did you bring it to a Fiat garage ?

Looking to bump a thread on the Marea in the Marea section (Click here) on an Airbag light that came on when it was in getting a list of things done from an NCT (MOT) test. It seems that it's one of the first lights to go on (if anything is wrong) according to a body repair guy (no welding was done) & the mechanic who worked on the car.:eek:

Left the Marea in with a well known garage that the brother-in-law used and that had some good feedback. Unfortunately I may have picked a 'bad' week since the main man (Tom) is on holidays. On a 'rushed' 10 minutes on Monday they hooked up the ECU to one of their Examiners and after having it for the day today (Tuesday) they still have not go the airbag light to go out.:(

Given that I have only 3 working days left to get it fixed (Easter is upon us) before I'm into a full NCT (MOT) test all over again where they might find something else wrong with the workhorse :bang:
Does anyone know if the Examiner used by Fiat Garages are any difference to the ones used by 'normal' Garages ?

Thinking that I might book it into a main dealer and take the hit of an hour's labour given the deadline on the re-test/visual. A warranty guy that I spoke with today at the main dealer said that it often takes a Fiat garage to get this 'fault' fixed.

Car is worth 'nothing' but I've poured €50 (quick body repair) + €288 (Garage) + €79 (NCT) into it in the last 2-3 weeks. If it passes it's in the clear for another 2 years of borrowed time.

Just a little update. Got a phone call to say that they managed to get the airbag light to go off.(y) From what I've picked up it would appear on the Marea that you have 3 goes at getting the Airbag light to go off and then it supposedly involves getting a new Airbag ECU :eek: => that's curtains.

Not too sure if it's the same for the 500.:confused:

A lesson for anyone on here is not to have anyone 'mess' with their car or leave the battery disconnected for long periods.

In my case a new +ve terminal had to be installed and since the car had been put on the 'long finger' and was done between jobs it may have had 'no power' for several days.

The safety benefits of airbags cannot be disputed but the maintenance headache and long term failure issue that looms will probably result in keeping an old car on the road uneconomic. I very much doubt I'll see a modern day 500 around in 30 years which like the woman with the American car I will probably be certified as legally blind as well. LOL.

Last edited:
If I still have my 500 in 20 years and the airbag light comes on I will just take the bulb out.

If I still have my 500 in 20 years and the airbag light comes on I will just take the bulb out.

Under normal circumstances it should come on in 10 years advising you to change the airbag! Of course by then changing the airbag will be the price of the value of the car!

On the Marea section some guys have managed to do a 'work around' but I wouldn't advocate that on the FF.

Best of luck with that, as they're sealed LED's which can't just be removed, and it'll be an MOT failure ;) :p

Same on the Marea.

Ha give it 10 mins the thing will come apart and a bit of black paint should do the job.

That wouldn't have worked for me today.

NCT tester looked for the Airbag light when the ignition was switched on and then after a few moments the airbag light goes out and stays off when the car is started.
Checked the MiTo - exact same scenario but it has a '2' since the passenger airbag can be turned off. Can't remember if the 500 is the exact same.

Attachments

• Airbag light off.JPG
    Airbag light off.JPG
    262 KB · Views: 45
  • Airbag light on.JPG
    Airbag light on.JPG
    262.2 KB · Views: 47
Back