Technical Air-con fixed - now turbo blows?!

Currently reading:
Technical Air-con fixed - now turbo blows?!

mark76dee

After 4 long hot sweaty years of no air-con on our JTD ELX (i assumed it wasn't going to be worth repairing and two garages had mumbled something about full new systems) - I finally checked the fuse. One 15amp fuse later and we have cold air! Question is this though: Within a couple of days I noticed that when the turbo kicks in, we are no longer presented with heaps of black smoke out the exhaust - which is a good improvement although puzzling. Also, the turbo now blows/hisses - almost sounding as if the windscreen vents are on max. I've had turbo petrol cars which "sucked" air - but this sounds like blowing? Performance seems fine - smoke has all but gone, and the air con works well so I'm not complaining. I just wondered what else has happened here as well as the air con working?!

Sounds like you may have a leak somewhere on the pressure side of the inlet, most likely a split pipe or loose connection.
Could also be a leak from the Intercooler, they're Alloy, and quite susceptible to corrosion or damage, like most Radiators.

I found the fuse position on the web - under the oddments tray No. 9 I think.
The air con worked cold but I did get it re-gassed and it went a lot colder.

Back