Technical Air Con compressor

Currently reading:
Technical Air Con compressor

Gerrard, my "Active Air" (1.9 JTD) is now no longer doing an impression of just an "Active.." :D having just received a major refill of air conditioning gas.

There's pressure for the first time since I bought the car and the air con' is blasting out cold air finally. At least for the time-being! :D

Now then.. the compressor makes a bit of a rattle when A/C is on and the engine is idling. It sounds like ball bearings rumbling around in the bottom of a tin bucket... not toooooo loud but audible. The noise disappears completely at any revs above idle.

I'm guessing it's just "rustiness" (not literally) since the A/C has been idle for however long... (the compressor is not activated when the pressure is too low) in which case it should quieten down or blow up, as I use it again. Any way to grease up the bearings (?) or any other TLC I can give the beast to help it recover, or does it sound terminal?

Ralf S.

They're not a serviceable item in any respect that I know of and I don't think you'll get into it in any kind of depth with it on the car to be able to do what you need.

The problem is they have the clutch pack on the top of them to engage the compressor when system is activated, so the bearings themselves are well buried.

Problem is if the system has leaked out for some reason then lovely damp moist air gets in and can stuff bits up, possibly as you're experiencing.

As you've identified you are best off letting it go and see if it calms down or dies. It'll do one or the other. Aircon systems are topped up with gas and oil so it's got some fluid lubricant in there which will work it's way around in time.

Here is hoping it holds on for you.

Yes.. I had a good look at it, in case there was a lubricating point, or some sight of something I could put a bit of grease on.. :) but the only moving parts I can see is the pulley output shaft.

A/C is still working .. :D It clatters a bit when the car is idling but when the beast hits 1000 rpm the rattle goes immediately silent. I'll run it and see if the clatter eventually disappears. If the a/c still works, the noise is not the end of the world, I suppose.

Next job.. rear suspension bush.. :D

Ralf S.

How easy is it to replace the compressor for the AC? Really considering swapping mine out as it's unbearable to drive now, having windows open is really inconvenient and hurts my ears

What engine you running Surchr?

The compressor itself is only I think 3 bolts holding it on to the block (plus belt, electrical connector and 2 x AC pipes) but what engine you have may restrict access to those bolts and wiggle room to get it out.

I can't picture off the top of my head if you'd manage it through wheel arch or from below - otherwise it could be something like bumpers and radiators out for best access - which isn't all that hard work really but it's a lot more time consuming.

Last edited:

The compressor itself is only I think 3 bolts holding it on to the block (plus belt, electrical connector and 2 x AC pipes) but what engine you have may restrict access to those bolts and wiggle room to get it out.

I can't picture off the top of my head if you'd manage it through wheel arch or from below - otherwise it's bumpers and radiators out for best access - which isn't all that hard work really but it's a lot more time consuming.

With current regulations it's actually illegal to disconnect a compressor yourself unless it has been properly degassed first. If you DIY you must first take it to an approved aircon engineer and have it degassed. You can then work on it and take it back to be vacuumed down and re-filled with the correct amount of gas and oil. The drier should also be replaced. Note that leaving the system open to the atmosphere for any length of time lets moisture in and can shorten the life of the system. Better to let the experts do it.

Robert G8RPI.

I have the tiny 1.4 engine in my car, seems like enough room to work on it. I was just wondering how technical it would be.

g8rpi said:
With current regulations it's actually illegal to disconnect a compressor yourself unless it has been properly degassed first. If you DIY you must first take it to an approved aircon engineer and have it degassed. You can then work on it and take it back to be vacuumed down and re-filled with the correct amount of gas and oil. The drier should also be replaced. Note that leaving the system open to the atmosphere for any length of time lets moisture in and can shorten the life of the system. Better to let the experts do it.

I was sceptical about doing it myself I guess I should leave it to an expert then. I more wanted an idea as to how much it would cost.

Thanks for your replies though guys!

That is true, Robert makes a valid point. If your system is still gassed discharging it in your face would be very bad. It's a heavy gas and super bad for the environment, can cause frostbite burns and is heavy gas so in theory you can suffocate / drown in it. Probably don't want to do that.

I don't have the workshop manual / CD for the Stilo but i'd reckon you could change it yourself if you like a good DIY project, although as Robert says just ensure you're complying with the law.

Back