General After Market Cruise Control

Currently reading:
General After Market Cruise Control

That might just have something to do with it...... :rolleyes:

perhaps, but recently i drove Cambridge to Edinburgh up the A1 and didn't perceive any issues with keeping up motorway speed on that trip. i'm sure there was a hill somewhere along that route too :p

perhaps, but recently i drove Cambridge to Edinburgh up the A1 and didn't perceive any issues with keeping up motorway speed on that trip. i'm sure there was a hill somewhere along that route too :p
*sigh*

You're missing the point. Cruise control will struggle to hold the car @ 70mph on long hills because unlike a human it can't see hills coming up and build up speed in advance....

nonsense :D my 1.2 dualogic pops along a flat motorway at 70mph at around 3200 rpm in 5th very nicely indeed!

and i've never perceived any issue with inclines and the like, but then i live in a relatively flat part of the world

Try it on the M1 going south between Loughborough and Leicester, bet you need 4th to maintain forward momentum.

*sigh*

You're missing the point. Cruise control will struggle to hold the car @ 70mph on long hills because unlike a human it can't see hills coming up and build up speed in advance....

if you follow this thread back, you'll see i'm not disagreeing with you - its maccauk1 i'm disagreeing with (see below), would you agree that his (fairly blunt) statement is incorrect?

i've no doubt that you (306maxi) are right in the point you are making (which is a more specific point). ok, my experience doesn't match it, but its most likely that my recent driving hasn't had me encounter the type of long hills on motorways (when i would have CC on) that you're saying would cause an issue, even on my cambridge to edinburgh trip.

It would make motorway driving a pain in the nether region as it wouldn't work.

Because a 1.1 or 1.2 Panda cannot maintain 70/80 (or 50/60) in 5th gear, on most motorways.

Fairly blunt, maybe, completely accurate though.

Why not just buy a car with CC in the first place, it's not fitted or available as an option for a reason.

I'm still with the OP on this one. Sure you might have to do the odd bit of gear changing on steeper hills, but that's what the RESUME button is for. Had to do a longish drive in a VW Bora the other week, and the combination of CC & a manual box worked just fine, despite having to make a number of gear changes for the same reasons described here.

I think the added comfort of CC could well be worth £100 a year. Go for it!

I'm still with the OP on this one. Sure you might have to do the odd bit of gear changing on steeper hills,
Shouldn't be a problem for the OP as he has an auto :)

Not a fan of cruise myself. Had it for six years on the Vectra and only ever used it a couple of times out of curiosity.

It would make motorway driving a pain in the nether region as it wouldn't work.

Because a 1.1 or 1.2 Panda cannot maintain 70/80 (or 50/60) in 5th gear, on most motorways.

Concidering the speed limit is 70, 80 is irrelivent. If you're using CC, your likly not to be in foot down mode, so speed change due to hills doesn't matter ;)

I have a 1.2 500 and even with the extra 9 horsies over the Panda 1.2 it still can't maintain 70 up long motorway inclines unless you build speed up before the hill.

Should by a Panda, the 2 extra door make it fly easier :p

Try it on the M1 going south between Loughborough and Leicester, bet you need 4th to maintain forward momentum.

To maintain forward momentum. Listen to yourself please!

Not everyone needs to get everywhere at 100mph!

Cruise is just another driving tool/aid. Personally I love it and use it all the time on my C4.

I have a BX 16valve and had an aftermarket cruise control fitted to it at 19k miles back in 1993, it now has 140k on it and guess what, it's never gone wrong...;) ...and it's been well used ! Oh incidentally, it was called 'Econo-cruise' and yes it did save on fuel consumption, quite considerably.....(y)

I will try to get a system fitted to the 'Cross' when it arrives in a couple of weeks.

When using cruise, it certainly shows up how erratic other drivers can be in maintaining any sort of steady speed.... :mad:

80 mph is not irrelevant, (note spell checker), as sometimes the extra 10 mph is useful to overtake.(legal or not)

Maintaining forward momentum means just that, i.e not going backwards.

Any more nitpicking arguments?

That is my last comment in this thread, go ahead and fit the damn thing, I hope you fall in love with it.

80 mph is not irrelevant, (note spell checker), as sometimes the extra 10 mph is useful to overtake.(legal or not)

Maintaining forward momentum means just that, i.e not going backwards.

Any more nitpicking arguments?

That is my last comment in this thread, go ahead and fit the damn thing, I hope you fall in love with it.

No need to get stressed. Not like CC is going to slow you enough that you start going backwards is it :p

When using cruise, it certainly shows up how erratic other drivers can be in maintaining any sort of steady speed.... :mad:

Tell me about it, most memerable was the :tosser: at a very complicated junction set-up on the M6.

If I want to do 50 with CC I will, simply over take and carry on at stupid speeds rather than sitting up my back side hanging out the window shouting obsenities :p

Back