advice on legal welding??

Currently reading:
advice on legal welding??

i am in the process of welding a crutial part of the front panel on my 126 but i am not sure on the correct/legal way in which the bottom of the pannel should be welded to the body? should it be seam welded/coninuous or can i get away with plug welding holes which are about an inch apart? i don't want to get to the MOT station to find that all my hard work has been wasted because of a technicality? i,ve included a photo below

if you are replacing the whole panel with new and the original was spot welded then i would go neat plug welding all the way to cut down on distortion
if you can get a 2 pence piece at the back of your plug weld you can diminish the chance of blow through

prep paint and do a good job and mot man wont even know youve been in and as i say if it was originally spot welded here you are only putting the same amount of strength back in so if it got bumped the distortion shouldnt go further because you over engineered the welding

plug weld pliers
http://www.power-tec.co.uk/showcat.asp?cat=296&page=2

as far as i know, if the area in question has been failed by a mot tester, then you have to seam weld the whole panel, if not tested yet then you can plug weld it, just make it look neat and tidy and it should be fine :)

i'd say it depends on the welding equipment you are using. no mig welder will ever spot weld as strong as manufacture's spot welds.

looking at your welder in the pics i'd say seam weld it.

i'd say it depends on the welding equipment you are using. no mig welder will ever spot weld as strong as manufacture's spot welds.

looking at your welder in the pics i'd say seam weld it.

heh you've not seen my mig welder. full power draws 20 amps >_<
ahem well my dads ahem

it welds as good as our stick welder.

yes mate i know what a plug weld

manufactuers spot welds fuse metal together.

i've got a big mig too mate, i was going on the basis of looking at the OP welder and welding already done on the panel.

plug weld, its very rare you will fit a new pannel with a continuous weld, uless your puttin a piece in for an mot failure ect, if its a new pannel then plug weld is fine if you dont have use of a spot welder

Reactions: cc1
Back