Advice need skylight hole needs closing up

Currently reading:
Advice need skylight hole needs closing up

Phillo

Hi.

I am doing a camper and the van (fiat ducato) i have has 2 x skylights in that are 520mm x 520mm. I need to each hole to 400mm x 400mm so i can install a roof fan.

Any ideas on the best way to do it

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220617_081727.jpg
    20220617_081727.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 179
Evening,

I had a look around to see if there are reducers/adapters to accommodate a smaller vent or accessory (to decrease the size of the opening) however failed to find anything useful. It can definitely machined from PVC or aluminium so worth contacting some machinists or people offering their CNC services on eBay.

Alternatively, you could DIY one. By using little filler like the one linked below, you could stick some quality sheet metal over the hole left by the skylight and have the correct sized hole cut in said sheet metal. All that’d be left is riveting it on and sealing over the whole thing.

Note, this may or may not work with your van. may want to check the size of the ridges on your roof and find a correct one.

Lastly, take care whilst working on the roof.

All the best!

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
Evening,

I had a look around to see if there are reducers/adapters to accommodate a smaller vent or accessory (to decrease the size of the opening) however failed to find anything useful. It can definitely machined from PVC or aluminium so worth contacting some machinists or people offering their CNC services on eBay.

Alternatively, you could DIY one. By using little filler like the one linked below, you could stick some quality sheet metal over the hole left by the skylight and have the correct sized hole cut in said sheet metal. All that’d be left is riveting it on and sealing over the whole thing.

Note, this may or may not work with your van. may want to check the size of the ridges on your roof and find a correct one.

Lastly, take care whilst working on the roof.

All the best!
Thanks for the reply. Thinking of a sheet of aluminium or steel as you suggested just wasnt sure about riveting incase they eventually leaked but there would be a lot of sealant there so sure it would be fine.

Thanks

This post contains affiliate links which may earn a commission at no additional cost to you.
I remember watching camper builds occasionally. Was quite entertaining for some reason however this one below was my favourite. As you should see sealing it isn't all too difficult. The video starts exactly where the guy seals the hole for a fan (2:15)

Since it's low stress, you could just get a sheet of galvanised steel, or aluminium (easier to work) and then just rivet it on.

It'll be waterproof as long as you put a bead of silicone sealant around the edge of the sheet, where it overlaps the roof. I'd overlap it by at least an inch and use two beads of silicone.

If you want a neater finish, don't let the silicone squeeze out (or wipe it off, if it does, using a matchstick to get a little way under the overlap) so that you can't see it from outside the van. Then fill the remaining void with body filler, smooth off with your finger before it hardens and then prime and paint it the same colour as the van.

Ralf s.

Back