Technical Advice needed - Multiple faults?

Currently reading:
Technical Advice needed - Multiple faults?

kyledb

Hey everyone, new to this community!

Wife and I have a Fiat 500x 1.4 Multiair Pop Star model and we have had issues from purchasing back in 2021 - dealers have been useless (shock!). We had a breakdown mechanic find 14 or so faults most recently, took the vehicle to the garage and they couldn't find the faults. Fixed the problems we initially took it back with (they sorted that under warranty), drove away, thinking all was well and then the electrical problems reoccur - so we took the car back and they can finally find these faults! HOWEVER, they now want £120 PER HOUR just to investigate these faults?

We've had multiple weird scenarios with it for example the horn going off randomly when the car is off, hazards turning them selves on whilst driving and last night the rear wiper turned itself on hours after the car was turned off. We've disconnected the battery for now to stop these things whilst we find someone for a second opinion.

I will list the faults below, there's a few so if anyone has any knowledge or could shed some light on what they may be or if anyone has had a similar experience - that would be great! TIA

(Possibly thinking battery or ECU - but I'm not knowledgeable in any sort of mechanics!)

Code Description
B1007-15 Front Left turn light - Circuit short to battery or open
B1008-15 Front Right turn light - Circuit short to battery or open
B1009-15 Combined Rear Left Light 1 - Circuit short to battery or open
B1022-15 Day time Running and Parking Light Left - Circuit short to battery or open
B1023-15 Day time Running and Parking Light Right - Circuit short to battery or open
B1107-15 Rear/Lateral Left turn light - Circuit short to battery or open
B1108-15 Rear/Lateral Right turn light - Circuit short to battery or open
B1109-15 Combined Rear Left Light 2 - Circuit short to battery or open
B1632-15 Left High Beam light - Circuit short to battery or open
B1636-15 Right High Beam light - Circuit short to battery or open
B100A-15 Combined Rear Right Light 1 - Circuit short to battery or open
B106D-86 Drive Mode System - Signal invalid
B110A-15 Combined Rear Right Light 2 - Circuit short to battery or open
B162A-15 Left Low Beam light - Circuit short to battery or open
U1802-08 LIN 2 - Bus Signal/Message Failure
U2021-87 External temperature message 1 - missing message
U2022-87 External temperature message 2 - missing message
P065A-00 Intelligent Alternator Module performance (Event information)
B210A-16 System Voltage - Circuit Voltage Below Threshold
U0422-86 Invalid Data Received From Body Control Module - Signal invalid

To have that many different faults leads me to suspect that you have a fundamental EARTH / Neg. Battery issue.

Fundamental to all electronic systems is a good and reliable 0V/Ground supply connections. Often high current connections (like lights) can tolerate poor earth/0V connections but modern CAN-Bus / Similar / Etc. and other connections/interfaces relying on very low current and small signal connections can be seriously upset by poor connections.

As a starter you need to check your battery negative connections and the earth strap from battery to chassis.

Note! On the 500X there is a quick release connector on the the chassis to battery/current sensor connection. This should be checked as well.

To have that many different faults leads me to suspect that you have a fundamental EARTH / Neg. Battery issue.

Fundamental to all electronic systems is a good and reliable 0V/Ground supply connections. Often high current connections (like lights) can tolerate poor earth/0V connections but modern CAN-Bus / Similar / Etc. and other connections/interfaces relying on very low current and small signal connections can be seriously upset by poor connections.

As a starter you need to check your battery negative connections and the earth strap from battery to chassis.

Note! On the 500X there is a quick release connector on the the chassis to battery/current sensor connection. This should be checked as well.
Appreciate the reply, thank you! I will have a look and get back to you

Was the car new in 21? SO many issues suggests that teh battery may be dying. I had a Bravo that did similar with warning lights all over the place. New battery cured it. Recently two of our three Pandas had failed batteries in teh same week. Both batteries showed 12.6 volts and appeared fine but were failed due to internal short circuit. I agree with s130s comments. The two codes o65A and B210A both point to a fundamental power issue as suggested. I would add that so many issues are more than likely due to one silly fault. These comuter linked systems cannot be trusted to report properly if the base voltage is bad. The battery is easlily checked by substitution or adding another via jump leads. A stop start car needs the right battery type. Also has the battery been changed incorrectly. This could confuse the system and damge the intelligent alternator sensor. Unfortunately 3 years is not out of the question for the battery on a new car to fail with a stop start typre battery.

Please do a review -in the directory tab above- of the garage and name names so we can ALL avoid this dealer who sounds pretty useless. Garages that are so useless are just lazy and dishonest! There is no excuse for them not being able to fix and properly diagnose the issues as tehy ahve all teh right equipment to do so. You may find reference to a decent garage near you in the directory.

Was the car new in 21? SO many issues suggests that teh battery may be dying. I had a Bravo that did similar with warning lights all over the place. New battery cured it. Recently two of our three Pandas had failed batteries in teh same week. Both batteries showed 12.6 volts and appeared fine but were failed due to internal short circuit. I agree with s130s comments. The two codes o65A and B210A both point to a fundamental power issue as suggested. I would add that so many issues are more than likely due to one silly fault. These comuter linked systems cannot be trusted to report properly if the base voltage is bad. The battery is easlily checked by substitution or adding another via jump leads. A stop start car needs the right battery type. Also has the battery been changed incorrectly. This could confuse the system and damge the intelligent alternator sensor. Unfortunately 3 years is not out of the question for the battery on a new car to fail with a stop start typre battery.

Please do a review -in the directory tab above- of the garage and name names so we can ALL avoid this dealer who sounds pretty useless. Garages that are so useless are just lazy and dishonest! There is no excuse for them not being able to fix and properly diagnose the issues as tehy ahve all teh right equipment to do so. You may find reference to a decent garage near you in the directory.
66 Plate - the garage did mention to us last week that it looks like the previous owners have replaced the battery with one from Halfords - so it may possibly be? Another thing to look at - thanks for your reply!

66 Plate - the garage did mention to us last week that it looks like the previous owners have replaced the battery with one from Halfords - so it may possibly be? Another thing to look at - thanks for your reply!
MES might help maybe there is someone local to you on the MES register that could help?

The previous owner might have been suffering from the same problem and "a new battery" is quite high on the list of usual suspects.

Test your battery (12.6v cold) and the alternator output to make sure the new battery isn't / also being killed by something... but if it checks out, then the Earth points is the next thing to check (and relatively cheap, even if you get an auto-electrician to do it).

Ralf S.

Back